Understanding the appeal of California Adventure

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Understanding the appeal of California Adventure

Post by ZenMondo » Dec Mon 22, 2014 12:23 am

Back in January, I had my first visit to Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, after two days of my first return to Disneyland in about 23 years. The Disneyland Park experience was steeped in nostalgia, which this new park did not trigger at all.

On top of that, I had a cold, it was hot with very little shade, and the experience was not all that great for me.

But since then, I have returned, again and again to this park, and it has really grown on me. It has its own unique charm separate from, but related to what Walt began in 1955.

The main change in mindset came when I started seeing California Adventure as its own thing, not an add-on to, or competition for, the classic Disneyland Park.

Now I look forward to much of the unique and distinct magic that California Adventure has to offer, and am still finding new things at both parks to discover after spending nearly an entire month (spread out over the year) in the park in 2014.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Understanding the appeal of California Adventure

Post by Amy » Dec Mon 22, 2014 8:39 am

ZenMondo wrote:Back in January, I had my first visit to Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, after two days of my first return to Disneyland in about 23 years. The Disneyland Park experience was steeped in nostalgia, which this new park did not trigger at all.

On top of that, I had a cold, it was hot with very little shade, and the experience was not all that great for me.

But since then, I have returned, again and again to this park, and it has really grown on me. It has its own unique charm separate from, but related to what Walt began in 1955.

The main change in mindset came when I started seeing California Adventure as its own thing, not an add-on to, or competition for, the classic Disneyland Park.

Now I look forward to much of the unique and distinct magic that California Adventure has to offer, and am still finding new things at both parks to discover after spending nearly an entire month (spread out over the year) in the park in 2014.
That is so cool that you live close enough to go that often! :goofy_bounce: And while I've not been to DL as much, I was able to go both before and after DCA opened ~ and I really like both parks. Definitely different atmospheres at both, but I feel that same way about WDW as well ~ all those parks have their own distinct feel too.

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Fri 16, 2015 5:33 pm

I found out my recent trip that my love for California Adventure is not really shared by my traveling partner. Mostly there is a much smaller percentage of rides there that appeal to her. While she loves the Ariel's Undersea Adventure ride to pieces, most of the rides are either big thrill rides or little kiddy rides, and those do not appeal to her at all. The rides she does like usually have very long lines such as the Radiator Springs Racers. Her favorite ride there, California Soarin' is of course closed, as is all of the Condor Flats area (to now be a Grizzly Peak Aviation area) so she did not enjoy "the park across the esplanade" as much as I did.

Also the current Frozen-ing of everything has left us kind of cold. The most egregious thing being the Animation Academy lessons are now only Olaf and Marshmallow instead of a variety of Disney Characters (when there in December, we learned to draw Steamboat Mickey and Oswald which was super fun!) Thankfully they have not found a way to make Turtle Talk with Crush Frozen-themed.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 16, 2015 8:48 pm

ZenMondo wrote:I found out my recent trip that my love for California Adventure is not really shared by my traveling partner. Mostly there is a much smaller percentage of rides there that appeal to her. While she loves the Ariel's Undersea Adventure ride to pieces, most of the rides are either big thrill rides or little kiddy rides, and those do not appeal to her at all. The rides she does like usually have very long lines such as the Radiator Springs Racers. Her favorite ride there, California Soarin' is of course closed, as is all of the Condor Flats area (to now be a Grizzly Peak Aviation area) so she did not enjoy "the park across the esplanade" as much as I did.

Also the current Frozen-ing of everything has left us kind of cold. The most egregious thing being the Animation Academy lessons are now only Olaf and Marshmallow instead of a variety of Disney Characters (when there in December, we learned to draw Steamboat Mickey and Oswald which was super fun!) Thankfully they have not found a way to make Turtle Talk with Crush Frozen-themed.
I really love DCA, even if I couldn't ride anything there, I would find enough to take pictures of and just look at to keep me happy.
We're trying to remember what we ended up drawing at the Animation Academy when we were there in December of 2013....Maybe Jack Skellington? Figment couldn't remember either, so I'm going to have to dig through some boxes to see...or get my misbehaving computer to cough up the photos :lol:

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by bcgm3 » Jan Sat 17, 2015 9:40 am

ZenMondo wrote:Thankfully they have not found a way to make Turtle Talk with Crush Frozen-themed.
Are you trying to jinx it? Cuz that's how you jinx it.

Just kidding :wink: .

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Sat 17, 2015 1:27 pm

bcgm3 wrote:
ZenMondo wrote:Thankfully they have not found a way to make Turtle Talk with Crush Frozen-themed.

Haha funny enough I even asked him, "Do you ever encounter sea ice? Because you seem to be the only thing around here that isn't frozen!"

Crush assured me he was strictly tropical.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 17, 2015 5:59 pm

ZenMondo wrote:
bcgm3 wrote:

Haha funny enough I even asked him, "Do you ever encounter sea ice? Because you seem to be the only thing around here that isn't frozen!"

:lol: Too funny!! :lol:

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jan Sat 17, 2015 7:55 pm

I really liked DCA, as it wasn't overly crowded and has a ton of places to sit with a drink and enjoy the scenery. Unfortunately, I think it classifies the same as Animal Kingdom or MGM does in WDW. It's only a half day park. I loved Cali Screaming, RS Racers, ToT and Grizzly River Run but everything else I can live without. To me it was just so odd having elements from AK, MGM and EPCOT all in one park.

Wyntuck

Post by Wyntuck » Feb Wed 04, 2015 10:52 am

What's cool is it's a re-creation of what most folks ASSUME California is like. Idealized, yes but based in reality. I've only been to CA once, and never to the Adventure, but I think I would enjoy it going in realizing it's not DLII but an entirely different park and mission. Wow, are there any other companies that generate so much passion?

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Wed 04, 2015 11:56 am

ZenMondo wrote:Haha funny enough I even asked him, "Do you ever encounter sea ice? Because you seem to be the only thing around here that isn't frozen!"

That is adorable! :lol:
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!