Disneyland First Timer

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Zillerzap
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Disneyland First Timer

Post by Zillerzap » Nov Thu 20, 2014 10:27 am

I will have the opportunity to visit Disneyland for the first time next year. All my previous trips have been to Disney World. My reasearch has suggested that they are more different than similar. Any tips for a first timer?

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Disneyland First Timer

Post by horizons1 » Nov Thu 20, 2014 12:21 pm

First off, congratulations on your upcoming visit to home base, the mothership, aka the first Happiest Place.

There are a few threads on this subject. My own opinion is that Disneyland (the park) beats Florida's Magic Kingdom in almost every way. Attraction count, look & feel, walkability, etc. But the Florida resort beats the California resort.

You'll experience a more intimate environment in California, with two parks, Downtown Disney, and the hotels all within an easy stroll. The whole resort is only a couple hundred acres. Be sure to spend some time in between the mad rush to ride stuff and take in the scenery. Visit Snow White's Grotto, eat in one of the little corners of the park like Hungry Bear, and soak up the vibe of being in the park that Walt walked in. Over at DCA, stop to appreciate the "placemaking" treatments that have created better themes in each area.

As for attractions, obviously you will look forward to California-only attractions like the Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, and California Screamin'.

You're gonna have a great time!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Thu 20, 2014 1:15 pm

*if* we get to go to DLR this summer, it will be my and my hubby's first visit, too. So I'm eager to read everything you veterans have to say about it.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Zillerzap

Post by Zillerzap » Nov Thu 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to it. I would consider myself an expert when it comes to WDW but I'm a little out of my element at DL. Once I got as far as making it to DL right up to the gate but had meetings all day and could not find the time for a visit.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Fri 21, 2014 10:16 am

Zillerzap wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to it. I would consider myself an expert when it comes to WDW but I'm a little out of my element at DL. Once I got as far as making it to DL right up to the gate but had meetings all day and could not find the time for a visit.
OMG that would stink. Bad.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by ZenMondo » Dec Mon 22, 2014 12:15 am

Well I have never been to Florida, so I don't know what the contrast would be like from WDW, but I think I will give some general advice.

No one has mentioned food yet! One of my favorite things to eat is Broasted Chicken, and they serve it at the Plaza Inn (at the end of Main Street on the right facing the castle). The menu has a dinner that cost $15.99 and it is a lot of food, for more economical solution, you can buy pieces of chicken ala carte for a very affordable price. Also when you finish your meal at Plaza Inn, ask for a "to go" cup when you leave for some extra soda (or coffee) when you leave.

The absolute best thing to eat at Disneyland is the Monte Cristo Sandwich at the Blue Bayou. Again for better economy, if you are visiting with someone, I suggest ordering just ONE, and doing a plate split (a $12 fee). You will each get the beginning course (salad) and half of a very large sandwich. Plus the atmosphere at the Blue Bayou is amazing, being inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. If you wish to dine here, I suggest lunch time, and you will have to get a reservation, when you know your travel dates, try to make the reservation ahead a week or two before you are set to arrive.

You can also get a Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans, but I like the one at Blue Bayou better.

If you want a Dole Whip, the best bet is to go into the waiting area for the Tiki Room and get in line on that side, the line is usually shorter, and you can eat your Dole Whip (I always get the Dole Whip Float) inside the Tiki Room during the show.

Another thing I love to do is look for the coin squishing machines throughout the park. Most are squishing pennies, and I think it is the best souvenir that 51 cents can buy! (I have also seen machines that squish nickels and quarters)

realcal
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by realcal » Mar Tue 10, 2015 11:07 am

If you want to experience the Napa Rose, Disney's 5-star restaurant in the Grand Californian Hotel, but don't want to mortgage your home, share an appetizer and drinks. You'll get to experience the restaurant, but save money for other experiences.
A very merry unbirthday to you!

sfein
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by sfein » Mar Wed 11, 2015 1:34 pm

I've been to WDW many many times and finally made it to DL 3 years ago. Here is what I found (differences/preferences/advice):
Magic Kingdom:
Includes many things from WDW Magic Kingdom plus a couple of things from other parks. For example, Star Tours is here in Tomorrowland.

The Castle is shorter (through me off a little walking down Main Street and not seeing the large towers), but you can go inside for a small walkthrough attraction. You go in thru the back and see some Sleeping Beauty dioramas as you walk inside the castle - small but interesting - if you have time check it out.

The entire place is smaller but a lot is crammed into the space. There are more rides in Fantasyland (haven't been to new WDW Fantasyland yet so maybe count is closer) like Storybook, Pinocchio and Alice in Wonderland and the much missed Mr Toad.

Main Street feels more Main Streety (is that a word?) but is shorter so you get through it too quickly.

The outside of Its A Small World is much better than WDW. The ride is about the same though.

I got a lot wetter on Splash Mountain than in WDW. Partially because it is single person per row. Thinner boat, splash leaks over the sides.

Pirates is similar but has a longer beginning through a swamp which I like. Also, there is a restaurant we ate at, that is inside this ride's beginning. Nice view.

Toon Town is a little different (well a lot now since it is gone in WDW). It has my favorite character's house - Goofy and one for Chip and Dale. I never made it to Roger Rabbit's ride but I hear it is similar to Cat in the Hat at Universal.

Space Mountain has a 2 person row as opposed to 1 at WDW and the ride feels different.

You must ride Indiana Jones. Similar in function to Dinosaur at WDW. Very long line so fastpass if possible.

Overall, even though they are both Magic Kingdom, they really feel like two different parks to me. Take in the feel of each land. Being a smaller park, they come quickly.

California Adventure:
I'm not sure how fastpass is handled now, but if you have to go and get one, get there very early and get the Cars ride. We were there three days and I never was able to get on. Uses technology like Test Track. I got there at 8am, Got in line for fastpass. Waited 1/2 hour and a person working there told me that based on the length of the line, I wa snot going to get a ticket so I shouldn't wait the hour. Line for ride never dropped to less than 3 hours.

This park has many rides not at WDW. The ones that are the same, are really the same. Tower of Terror and Soarin were exactly the same. Different outsides, but that is it. One thing I liked - not sure if WDW does it yet - is at the place you learn to draw characters, they put out a board listing the times and which characters you will learn. I saw someone going back there - must have been 4 times - to learn many different ones.

The park feels most like to Hollywood Studios to me though it has rides from HS and Animal Kingdom.

Downtown Disney:
I don't remember what it is actually called at DisneyLand, but there is shopping as you approach the parks and space between the parks. You can actually watch the fireworks from here without going into the park. We did that the first night we got there but did not want to use one of our tickets yet.

If I rmemeber anything else (it has been three years and all), I'll try to remember to post.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Good list sfein ~ one difference I would point out is that Tower of Terror in DCA and DHS are different in that WDW's version moves forward out of the lift tracks and actually moves through the star field into the drop shaft. That for me make me prefer the WDW version because it is sooooo cool to move in the elevator through the stars.
Also Pirates of the Caribbean in DL is a lot longer than the WDW version, almost twice as long! The swamp beginning is pretty neat ~ did you enjoy your meal at the Blue Bayou?

sfein

Post by sfein » Mar Fri 13, 2015 7:32 pm

The meal at the Blue Bayou was excellent. And overlooking the PoC was very nice. One thing though, it is a dark restaurant. You almost need a flashlight to read the menu :) We went in July and waited all of 10 minutes to get seated. If you want a sit down meal, recommended.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Fri 13, 2015 8:04 pm

sfein wrote:The meal at the Blue Bayou was excellent. And overlooking the PoC was very nice. One thing though, it is a dark restaurant. You almost need a flashlight to read the menu :) We went in July and waited all of 10 minutes to get seated. If you want a sit down meal, recommended.
Wow ~ I had heard you almost had to have reservations to get in there! I have heard it is super dark in there ~ figured it would not be something my Mom would have been comfortable with.

sfein

Post by sfein » Mar Mon 16, 2015 5:41 am

If you ride PoC, while going through Bayou section, look right and you can see the restaurant seats. Tough to see people, but you can see the table lamps. Explains the darkness. They don't want to disturb the riders. We may have just gotten lucky with getting in. I don't remember if we went off hours for lunch (like 11am or 2pm), but no wait and the restaurant was maybe 1/3rd filled.

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Mar Mon 16, 2015 11:38 am

sfein wrote:The meal at the Blue Bayou was excellent. And overlooking the PoC was very nice. One thing though, it is a dark restaurant. You almost need a flashlight to read the menu :) We went in July and waited all of 10 minutes to get seated. If you want a sit down meal, recommended.
I ate at Blue Bayou while in Disneyland for the Star Wars race weekend this past January - such a great meal, and we had a table right against "bayou," so we were always seeing the boats go by. PotC on the West Coast is pretty special!

My other Disneyland Resort must-do's include "World of Color" (nighttime show at California Adventure that's currently being retooled), the Matterhorn and drinks at Trader Sam's. Also, take the time to walk upstairs through the castle - there are cool displays with neat effects that tell the story of "Sleeping Beauty."

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Mon 16, 2015 10:46 pm

It isn't being retooled, they are just doing maintenance. Retooled would be what they did to the show prior to release (mainly removing disconnects like any reference to walt).

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Mar Tue 17, 2015 8:37 am

From what I've read, it's more than just maintenance! I don't know if this version will only last through the 60th anniversary celebration at Disneyland resort, but it seems like they're specifically trying to work Walt in:

"The 22- 24-minute show will retell the story of Walt Disney and the birth of Disneyland. Disney did not provide more details about the show, only that it'll have live-action footage of Walt Disney on the water screens and a new soundtrack."

source: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/worl ... isney.html

also: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... lebration/