Taking a baby to the Happiest Place on Earth...

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jul Mon 28, 2014 3:34 pm

So, it looks like I haven't posted here in a few years...

But I've been listening lately, and I remember how great this community was over the years. I'm going to assume it still is!

So... in December my wife, my parents, and I will be going to the Disneyland Resort to celebrate my 35th birthday, and we're bringing my infant son, who will be 7 months old (or so) when we go.

Who has tips on bringing a kid this age? We're from NorCal, we'll be driving down. We tend to go at least once a year, sometimes twice, but this will be the first time with the little guy.

Any tips? Will he be able to ride Big Thunder?

Heh, just kidding on that last one... though he is already 25 inches "tall"...
~Steve

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Taking a baby to the Happiest Place on Earth...

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Welcome back ~ we still are a pretty good group of people if I do say so myself ;)
I've never taken an infant, or any age child for that matter, to one of the parks, but I would guess that if you have that many adults and only one baby you should be fine. Obviously he isn't going to be able to go on a lot of the attractions, but Fantasyland should be good for a lot of rides. I would think he would really like It's a Small World with so many things to look at and the lovely song playing over, and over, and over.... :lol: You might want to be careful that he doesn't get too overstimulated or tired as that might lead to a cranky little boy and not so happy parents and grandparents.
I would guess it will be important for him to be able to get his regular naps, but at that age, he should be able to nap comfortably in the stroller.
Sounds like it will be a fun way to celebrate your 35th birthday :D

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jul Tue 29, 2014 4:01 pm

I just saw the title of your thread and the only thing that popped into my mind was

...sucks.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Mon 13, 2014 8:28 am

Great thread as I actually contemplated doing the same thing myself...although my little man is only three months old. My whole family as we speak is in Disneyland and my husband and I opted not to go. Not only because of the 3 hour plane ride, but also because of the heat and of him still being so little.
At 7 months though, I think that is a different story. Depending on their feeding and schedule and if they are good in the stroller, it may be okay. I just would worry more about the heat, etc.
Honestly, I was tempted to take my 3 months old, but then good reason took over and my love for my son and what is best for him and decided that it was not a good idea. I'm lucky because my family goes pretty much every year, so it is not like we will never get to go again. and next year when we go and he is 15 months or so, he will be in a much better state to enjoy himself and for myself and my husband to enjoy ourselves as well.
Personally preference though -- as long as you keep in mind what your baby is comfortable with and what is best for them etc.

This was a perfect example of how much I truly love my son because of the fact that I was willing to miss a disney trip because it wasn't in his best interest. hehe Not many things in life can keep me from disney. hehe
But it will just make his first trip that much sweeter when he is more aware and can have more appreciation for seeing Mickey for the first time! and then his Mom will melt! :-)

garyman
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by garyman » Oct Mon 13, 2014 3:32 pm

All I can say having just been there, around 2 p.m. every kid in a stroller seemed to be sleeping. Most of the kids that age seemed to be happy climbing on the railings, rocks or walls.

What ever you do have fun.

Never to old for Disney!