The Highlight of my most recent trip to Disneyland

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

The Highlight of my most recent trip to Disneyland

Post by ZenMondo » Feb Mon 10, 2014 5:28 am

This is me and Silhouette Artist Sylvia. After a day at the Disney California Adventure, we decided to finish up the day with a few hours at the Original Disneyland Park. I have had a couple silhouettes done over the years on Main Street, and I looked in and decided that it was a very affordable souvenir and decided to sit down and have one done. There was a family there in front of me just finishing up, and they asked her how long she had been working at the park. With a smile, she said she had been there 35 years, and how much the park had changed over the years, and how much it had stayed the same. The family asked what her favorite memory was, and she said it was when they rebuilt Fantasyland. The family asked when that happened, and she began to try to think back about HOW long ago it was, and I could see she was struggling somewhat, so I gently offered, "1983".

"Oh yes!" she said, "It WAS 1983, thank you." And smiled at me.

In a place where many are going hectically from one place to the other, it was nice to just sit and talk and relax and share memories of a beloved place.

As another small connection, my girlfriend Leigh noticed a tatting diagram in her drawer and I saw a shuttle and thread. It turns out to be a hobby Sylvia and Leigh have in common. Though the rides were fantastic and all, sitting and talking to Sylvia I think may have been the highlight of my trip.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: The Highlight of my most recent trip to Disneyland

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 10, 2014 8:27 am

What a great memory!

Arvorenn
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Arvorenn » Feb Tue 18, 2014 8:05 am

That's great. :)
I freely admit that I'm one of those who go hectically from one place to the other, mostly because of the limited time I get to spend in (and near) the parks and probably the ticket price being what it is also has its part on most people wanting to take in as many of the big things as possible, but I guess everybody should slow down every now and then and appreciate the little things. Not only things like Hidden Mickeys, but also people like Sylvia...

darthblixt
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by darthblixt » Sep Sat 13, 2014 12:09 pm

I couldn't believe how fast she works!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Sun 14, 2014 11:13 am

That's the kind of story that makes a Disney trip so special.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.