December trip question.....

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

mlbplus5
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

December trip question.....

Post by mlbplus5 » Jul Fri 05, 2013 8:59 am

We are planning a trip in December and was wondering which would be better, the 5th-8th or the 12th-15th. Is there no difference in the crowds? Trying to decide, on which weekend....

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: December trip question.....

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 05, 2013 9:05 am

mlbplus5 wrote:We are planning a trip in December and was wondering which would be better, the 5th-8th or the 12th-15th. Is there no difference in the crowds? Trying to decide, on which weekend....
Either of those weekends should be fairly quiet. It might be a little more crowded as you get on toward Christmas, but I don't think there would be a big difference. If you are planning on buying an annual pass and returning within the year, then the later weekend would be a better bet! Make sure you take the time to see the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights at DHS ~ they are unbelievable!!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 05, 2013 11:14 am

Wrong resort Amy, we don't have that tacky display at DLR. :D

The earlier week will have less crowds, the second week won't be slammed but you will most likely have company holiday parties showing up which could close one park early. If you are really into the candlelight processional thing then you might want to check previous years to get an idea of what days it will be on.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 11:21 am

I did that second weekend in December a couple of years ago. Crowd-wise it was not bad, but it was COLD. Of course, there is no predicting the Florida weather in the winter, but the closer to Christmas the more likely it will be to be cold.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 06, 2013 11:27 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Wrong resort Amy, we don't have that tacky display at DLR. :D

The earlier week will have less crowds, the second week won't be slammed but you will most likely have company holiday parties showing up which could close one park early. If you are really into the candlelight processional thing then you might want to check previous years to get an idea of what days it will be on.
Whoops, didn't notice I was in the DL thread :oops: And the lights aren't tacky, they are twinkly and beautiful!! :D
In any case, come during the first week ~ we will still be there and then we can meet you :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 12:43 pm

And now look what you've started, confusing Horizons1 and all. :D

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Either of those weeks should be fine. The week that starts on the 16th will start to see heavier crowds. I would say go to the 5th to the 8th since it is earlier in December.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:And now look what you've started, confusing Horizons1 and all. :D
I did notice that :lol: but I am much too polite to have mentioned it ;) :twisted:

mlbplus5
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by mlbplus5 » Jul Sun 07, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks everybody, we have decided to go the 5th-8th. Getting excited, have not been during the holiday time and I love Christmas, so it will be more magical... :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 07, 2013 12:03 pm

You may also be there during the filming for the Christmas day special.

One tip, it can be windy and hot during December so you may want to double check the temps before you go.

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jul Tue 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Christmas Day Special is usually filmed in early November once the holiday decorations are up. Candlelight this year will only be 12/7 and 12/8. They might not have any packages open to the general public this year. It is pretty disruptive to park operations. My advice to most people (save last year when they ran it for 20 nights) is to avoid candlelight weekend unless candlelight is something you want to see.
-Club33Hopeful

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Last year they actually started doing some stuff for it in October, which was funny when you saw the Halloween decorations for most of main street and a lamppost and shop façade decorate for Christmas. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Club33Hopeful wrote:Christmas Day Special is usually filmed in early November once the holiday decorations are up. Candlelight this year will only be 12/7 and 12/8. They might not have any packages open to the general public this year. It is pretty disruptive to park operations. My advice to most people (save last year when they ran it for 20 nights) is to avoid candlelight weekend unless candlelight is something you want to see.
Candlelight Processional is only those two nights?! Darn, we actually were looking forward to seeing it in a different park. We leave on 12/7. Although if we are also going to be avoiding huge crowds, that isn't all bad!
Wizzard419 wrote:Last year they actually started doing some stuff for it in October, which was funny when you saw the Halloween decorations for most of main street and a lamppost and shop façade decorate for Christmas. :D
That would be sort of weird to see!

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Jul Tue 16, 2013 6:36 pm

I can see 20 nights being overkill, but two seems underkill.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Probably because they didn't move as much merch as they were expecting to and the two nights are enough to placate the people who see it as a tradition without fully scrapping it.