December trip question.....

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: December trip question.....

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jul Tue 16, 2013 7:21 pm

GeoffS wrote:I can see 20 nights being overkill, but two seems underkill.
Last year was the first time that it was more than two nights. Because it takes place in town square and the main street station steps, it is too disruptive to park operations to have more than one weekend.
-Club33Hopeful

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Jul Fri 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Ah, the law of diminishing returns. Too many people will want to see it, but not be accommodated, if it plays a few nights. Result: incredible overcrowding. Too many nights, and it becomes more trouble than it's worth. The question: how many nights (and what nights) give you the most manageable and profitable mix? As for easing operations, every parade and fireworks show disrupts to some degree. It would need tweaking and adjusting to get the operations side right, too.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 19, 2013 8:04 pm

If I recall, this time they did not offer any form of dining package or even sold tickets (they just gave them to AP holders) so the only recoup of the expenditure would have to be merch.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Sat 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:And now look what you've started, confusing Horizons1 and all. :D
OOPS!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

mlbplus5
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by mlbplus5 » Jul Mon 29, 2013 9:14 am

Now since that happens on Main St. and Town Square, how does that effect the rest of the park ? Will it be over crowded or just the people who want to see that?

Club33Hopeful

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jul Mon 29, 2013 9:57 am

mlbplus5 wrote:Now since that happens on Main St. and Town Square, how does that effect the rest of the park ? Will it be over crowded or just the people who want to see that?
The park will be exceptionally crowded most of the day. After the second candlelight performance, it will empty out. Main Street Train Station will be closed.
-Club33Hopeful

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 29, 2013 1:57 pm

It can also have a spike at night since a lot of locals are AP holders and will simply come after work.

Club33Hopeful

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jul Mon 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It can also have a spike at night since a lot of locals are AP holders and will simply come after work.
True, but that is not as pronounced on Saturdays and Sundays. I have been every candlelight weekend since 2005 and it has been very busy all day until the second performance.
-Club33Hopeful

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 29, 2013 4:52 pm

I forgot, they aren't doing them on weeknights. Last year I needed to get something from in the park after a late meeting at work and it was a huge pain in the a$$ because Blizzard was having their holiday party and they were doing the processional.

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Jul Tue 30, 2013 6:47 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I forgot, they aren't doing them on weeknights. Last year I needed to get something from in the park after a late meeting at work and it was a huge pain in the a$$ because Blizzard was having their holiday party and they were doing the processional.
Heh, I was there that day (DL, not the Blizzard party). We left by sundown because it was getting near crush-level on Main St.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 30, 2013 7:12 pm

I think it might have been crush level everywhere, because DTD's lot was full they just opened up the mickey and friends lot for free that night. Which also sucked because it was raining, so it turned a 5 min walk/monorail ride into a half hour tram (I am not going to dare try and cross Disney way at night) ride capped off with the front gate jam.