If you could design a ride..?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

darthblixt
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

If you could design a ride..?

Post by darthblixt » May Thu 16, 2013 4:26 pm

If you were an imagineer and given total creative control on a new ride what would you create? I think the 79 disney sci-fi the black hole would make a great adventure ride. Like a cross between Indiana jones and space mountain.

sfein
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Re: If you could design a ride..?

Post by sfein » May Fri 17, 2013 10:47 am

I think a ride based on the Monsters Inc scene where Scully and Mike are jumping from door to door in a rollercoaster like fashion could be turned into a good ride. Maybe the car is like a door. You are on a track, you go through scenes of Monsters Inc and then there are roller coaster aspects as well.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 17, 2013 10:57 am

I think a ride themed to "Meet the Robinsons" would be amazing. You could do it in a way similar to Spiderman or Transformers at Universal that incorporates a moving vehicle as well as 3D. There is a ton to work with from the present day to the future and even conflict with the "bowler hat guy" and Doris. It could even be a simulator with 3D like Star Tours 2.0.

This was a "Walt" movie and it has so much potential for the parks and I hate it has never been used.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » May Fri 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I would love a Tron Ride. Could be 2 roller coasters racing each other like the light cycle and in the dark so its lighted.

TongaToast
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by TongaToast » May Fri 17, 2013 7:07 pm

For me I'd love to see WDI create a new attraction, with a new story. Nothing based off of a movie the company has made, but something unique. The last attraction stateside to be made this way was Expedition Everest back in 2006. Id love to see Frontierland get an expansion. Id like to see them bring back Tom and Huck to the island, and even add a bank robbery and gun standoff show on the streets of the land. Maybe another covered wagon attraction, or even western river expedition. Frontierland needs the love.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 17, 2013 8:34 pm

TongaToast wrote:For me I'd love to see WDI create a new attraction, with a new story. Nothing based off of a movie the company has made, but something unique. The last attraction stateside to be made this way was Expedition Everest back in 2006. Id love to see Frontierland get an expansion. Id like to see them bring back Tom and Huck to the island, and even add a bank robbery and gun standoff show on the streets of the land. Maybe another covered wagon attraction, or even western river expedition. Frontierland needs the love.
They have made some fantastic attractions...but you are right that it has been a very long time...and they did a shoddy job with that hence the Disco Yeti.

Love the screen name BTW!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 17, 2013 11:24 pm

I wouldn't say shoddy as much as being over-confident in their work since they couldn't fix the yeti while it is in place (unless the issues go all the way down to the foundation), they still had great ideas, designs, and executions, but the longevity sucked.

It's not unusual for an effect on a ride to have a short lifespan (the sparks on countdown to extinction and ToT or the falling stones in Indy) but it's not so great when it is the central focus of a key scene.

ambiguity123
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by ambiguity123 » May Sun 19, 2013 8:09 pm

I'd design something for Hollywood Studios that was like the Great Movie Ride, but it would be a journey through animated features, not live-action. You'd visit the worlds of Disney and Pixar classics with a grand finale mashup. It would be the perfect ride to put your young children on in the middle of the day when they usually should be napping. It's dark, air-conditioned, and you sit on comfortable benches for at least 20 minutes. That would be a parent's dream ride.
DisneyBakers

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by DisneySpin » May Sun 19, 2013 11:26 pm

I have to agree with Tonga Toast, I would love to have a new attraction that was a creation unto itself. When you consider how some of the classics (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Big Thunder) have stood the test of time so well, it shows how a good story and effects are what's always needed. I know the attractions based on films automatically have a fan base, but it's amazing how quickly word gets around when guests at a theme park have that really unique experience. So, that being said, I myself would lean in the direction of some of the Tomorrowland philosophy: educate, inspire, and a thrill or two. I would base my attraction on deep sea exploration, showing true to life inhabitants of some of the deep trenches in the Pacific... and then I'd throw in a giant squid or shark!
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » May Wed 29, 2013 11:34 pm

It's an interesting conundrum: do rides that inspire movies (Pirates, Mansion, etc.) or movies that inspire rides (Radiator Springs, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, EVERYTHING in Fantasyland) make more interesting material? I think a ride, well designed, imaginative, and memorable makes their own popularity, but can wither in obscurity; while movie-based rides are faddish for the most part, but occasionally live up to their epic source material. My ideal ride suspends reality for a little while, and makes me want to go back to see it again and again, hoping for that moment all over. I love the long-form immersive rides like Pirates that take me away to another time or place. A western theme on a stage coach through a ghost town would work for me. Throw in a legend, elaborate sets, a gunfight, and a hero winning the day, and I'm sold.

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Aug Thu 22, 2013 4:49 pm

I would like to see a ride like the peoplemover in EPCOT that connects all of the countries. Perhaps it can stop in every other country. Would be hard to build but a great transportation/ride.

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Aug Thu 22, 2013 4:51 pm

I would like to see a ride like the peoplemover in EPCOT that connects all of the countries. Perhaps it can stop in every other country. Would be hard to build but a great transportation/ride.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Sat 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Hollywood Studios needs an upgrade. Maybe a ride the deals with old 50's + 60's + 70's Television. Maybe Sci Fi in nature. an interactive ride that takes you into a new room where you deal with saving mankind. A room that features Lost in Space. or Strar Trek. Or Captain Video. Just a thought. :?: :idea: :goofy: