First time flying to Cali

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

First time flying to Cali

Post by FlatlandMounty » Apr Tue 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Anyone have advice on when is the best time to book flights to LAX? How much is a good price? I have never been to DL and so have never bought tickets. Flights from Florida to LAX, non-stop, are $362 right now for when I am going around Halloween. Should I book? Or wait for a better price?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: First time flying to Cali

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 16, 2013 8:29 pm

FlatlandMounty wrote:Anyone have advice on when is the best time to book flights to LAX? How much is a good price? I have never been to DL and so have never bought tickets. Flights from Florida to LAX, non-stop, are $362 right now for when I am going around Halloween. Should I book? Or wait for a better price?
That sounds like a good price. I think the last time we flew from Michigan to California the tickets were around $400. That was in 2004 or 2005. Always tricky figuring out when is the best to book airfare.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Tue 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Compare rates for SNA (John Wayne) and Long Beach, both are closer to DLR.

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by DisneySpin » Apr Wed 17, 2013 4:30 am

I definitely concur with Wiz, with a strong preference for SNA over LAX. Flying into and even staying in Orange County is a much saner way to enjoy your trip. Not knowing your overall plans, there are just many places to visit, nicer beaches, and shopping is much easier, far less congested than LA.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Wed 17, 2013 10:47 am

We are flying to Cali in June and have done a lot of research on flights and things. And even though flights through LAX are usually cheaper and have more flight times to choose from, SNA is closer and not having to deal with unpredictable traffic that LAX could bring - it makes me feel like it is worth the extra money. I would rather pay more to maximize my time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 17, 2013 10:54 am

We are flying into John Wayne as well. I didn't think to mention that as my brother bought the tickets for us for this trip so it wasn't at the front of my mind...sorry.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Wed 17, 2013 11:29 am

I flew into John Wayne when I went to DLR back in 2008 and it was a breeze. Staying away from Los Angeles is the key if you can avoid it.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Wed 17, 2013 12:20 pm

This has nothing to do with a trip to DLR, but never having flown into SoCal, I too am wondering about flying in. I'll be working in Pasadena in June and planned on flying into ONT. Thoughts?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Wed 17, 2013 12:57 pm

You are very far away from OC and unless you play to stay the night in OC you will probably not be able to just pop by DLR.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Apr Wed 17, 2013 7:27 pm

To OP: LAX will be the only direct flight you can get, depending upon where you're departing from in FL. If you prefer to fly direct, don't let LAX vs SNA vs LGB location fool you, just go with LAX. LAX is busy at almost all hours, but more so T-Th mornings and evenings.

For cy1229: what do you mean by "thoughts"? Are you asking about location details, proximity to other things, or ONT travel to Pasadena? BUR and LAX are physically closer, so I don't know if you're only going through ONT for a particular flight arrangement. If you're asking about Pasadena to Anaheim, it's a 45 minute drive without traffic, so yes, you can just pop down and back for a day trip. No need for an overnight. Just don't get involved in weekday commuter traffic in the morning (wait until after 9am) as most of the driving is on the 5.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Wed 17, 2013 7:54 pm

True, if you only want to spend a partial day at DLR, you can, but odds are cy will want to be there for the full day.

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Apr Fri 19, 2013 12:07 am

cy1229 wrote:This has nothing to do with a trip to DLR, but never having flown into SoCal, I too am wondering about flying in. I'll be working in Pasadena in June and planned on flying into ONT. Thoughts?
You would be much happier with Burbank or, if you have to, LAX. Burbank is very close to Pasadena so makes those Flight Days much easier. And yes, traffic is definitely a factor and June will have the added Summer vacation traffic (even though June typically has our worst weather: "June Gloom", marine layer, grey skies. Depending on your work schedule, I'd give Sunday, right at opening, your best shot at a few hours of smaller crowds. If schools are still in session and you can swing a weekday, take a deep breath, hit the freeway early, have breakfast at the Grand Californian, and get in the park at opening.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."