Fantasyland/Matterhorn

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

jdubbya33
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Fantasyland/Matterhorn

Post by jdubbya33 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 5:09 pm

The last time I went to Disneyland, the Matterhorn and Fantasyland were being refurbished. I am going again next month and I am curious what the changes were(if any). Can anybody explain the changes to me? Or anything else that has changed since 2010? Thanks!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Fantasyland/Matterhorn

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 5:32 pm

The cars have been updated to meet safety codes, the mountain has also been given a more realistic look (they added glass to the paint to give the snow a more real look in the sunlight), safety rails (again to get up to code), a general clean up.

I am not a huge fan of the new cars since they are not very comfortable for tall people.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The cars have been updated to meet safety codes, the mountain has also been given a more realistic look (they added glass to the paint to give the snow a more real look in the sunlight), safety rails (again to get up to code), a general clean up.

I am not a huge fan of the new cars since they are not very comfortable for tall people.
Are the cars deeper than they used to be? And what makes them less comfortable for taller people? Are they shorter than they used to be? The glass in the paint sounds intriguing. Does it look fairly sparkly when the sun hits it?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 8:14 pm

If you recall, in the past the cars each had two "rows" which could each have up to two people in each seat, now it's a fixed 3 rows per car (each with a single rider) and if you are taller that means your legs are now closer to your chest. It's not fetal position, but it's not exactly comfortable.

Additionally, they added a no-skid surface to the seats, so you are really locked in.

jdubbya33

Post by jdubbya33 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The cars have been updated to meet safety codes, the mountain has also been given a more realistic look (they added glass to the paint to give the snow a more real look in the sunlight), safety rails (again to get up to code), a general clean up.

Thanks. I guess they basically just updated the cars. I'm glad they didn't change it too much .I remember it was closed the last time I was there and I wasn't sure if they were making drastic changes. The last rumor I heard was that Tomorrowland was going to be updated with some of the Marvel Characters and rides.
Jonathan

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 8:56 pm

They actually are adding a Tony Stark exhibition to Innoventions this year for Iron Man 3, and there are rumors of a 3rd "Marvel" themed park in development.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sat 13, 2013 8:30 am

Wizzard419 wrote:If you recall, in the past the cars each had two "rows" which could each have up to two people in each seat, now it's a fixed 3 rows per car (each with a single rider) and if you are taller that means your legs are now closer to your chest. It's not fetal position, but it's not exactly comfortable.

Additionally, they added a no-skid surface to the seats, so you are really locked in.
Ahhh. Not a fan of the no-skid surface. Those can be painful if you accidentally scrape your knee or shin across it :( Plus they always seem to be not very clean from people stepping in and out of the cars.
Wizzard419 wrote:They actually are adding a Tony Stark exhibition to Innoventions this year for Iron Man 3, and there are rumors of a 3rd "Marvel" themed park in development.
Ick. Pretty sure we can skip the Iron Man exhibit. Sorry Disney, not a fan of your acquisition of the Marvel peeps :roll:

jdubbya33

Post by jdubbya33 » Apr Sat 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:If you recall, in the past the cars each had two "rows" which could each have up to two people in each seat, now it's a fixed 3 rows per car (each with a single rider) and if you are taller that means your legs are now closer to your chest. It's not fetal position, but it's not exactly comfortable.

Ahhh. Not a fan of the no-skid surface. Those can be painful if you accidentally scrape your knee or shin across it :( Plus they always seem to be not very clean from people stepping in and out of the cars.
Wizzard419 wrote:They actually are adding a Tony Stark exhibition to Innoventions this year for Iron Man 3, and there are rumors of a 3rd "Marvel" themed park in development.

Ick. Pretty sure we can skip the Iron Man exhibit. Sorry Disney, not a fan of your acquisition of the Marvel peeps :roll:[/quote]

Yeah, I agree about the addition of Marvel characters in the park. I would rather they limit the Marvel side of Disney to movies and separate that aspect from the theme parks. Unlike a lot of people know, I actually like innovations. But I have heard they are considering removing and replacing it. I guess I'll know more this Summer.
Jonathan

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Apr Sun 14, 2013 8:57 pm

How tall is "too tall" for the new cars in your case? I found them no worse than Splash Mountain or the lack of legroom on Big Thunder Mountain.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 14, 2013 9:02 pm

6'3 (6'4 in shoes) and it was uncomfortable.

darthblixt
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by darthblixt » Apr Mon 29, 2013 5:16 pm

I miss the old days of sitting between some strangers legs on the old bobsleds

sfein
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by sfein » Apr Mon 29, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm 5'9" and I found the Matterhorn cars to be very uncomfortable.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Mon 29, 2013 7:23 pm

The new cars aren't as comfortable as they used to be. I preferred having a bobsled to myself with my long legs stretched out.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 29, 2013 8:16 pm

darthblixt wrote:I miss the old days of sitting between some strangers legs on the old bobsleds
I never had to share when I went...at least I don't remember having to share a bobsled. When we went with my one brother, we did ride together, but I didn't think it was too cramped.

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Apr Mon 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Oh, the troubles of having to design a park for the young and young at heart. Given the type of cars they use, it's probably hard to gauge the difference between making it snug enough to be safe for the small ones, and still leave enough room for the parents. I remember being on Colossus way back in the day, and watching a young girl slide *under* the safety bar. She was tall enough according to the sign, but not the right dimensions to stay in place once underway.