Things not to miss!

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Things not to miss!

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Sun 07, 2013 2:16 am

Amy wrote:Yup, we've probably been to most of the bathrooms, including the one by Alice :lol:
I have heard good things about the Plaza Inn chicken. And F1gment likes chicken, so we might have to try that. Is that a walk up table service, quick service, or do you need ressies?
It's a quick service restaurant and there's seating both indoors and outdoors. It'd be nice to eat there before fireworks and find a nice spot out on the patio to watch the show without having to deal with the crowd standing in front of Main Street.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 07, 2013 8:09 am

elizabethswann wrote:
Amy wrote:Yup, we've probably been to most of the bathrooms, including the one by Alice :lol:
I have heard good things about the Plaza Inn chicken. And F1gment likes chicken, so we might have to try that. Is that a walk up table service, quick service, or do you need ressies?
It's a quick service restaurant and there's seating both indoors and outdoors. It'd be nice to eat there before fireworks and find a nice spot out on the patio to watch the show without having to deal with the crowd standing in front of Main Street.
Is there a good view of the fireworks from there? That is a great suggestion. Any tips for the crowds at Fantasmic? As I recall, that was a nightmare finding spots to watch.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 07, 2013 10:18 am

If there is more than one showing for it, the second one is pretty easy to go to because all the groups with children will have gone to the first one and then left for the night. With world of color, you will need to get passes in the morning at Grizzly River Run (depending on the time of year they run out early in the day or may have passes right up until the show starts). Another option would be to either have one of the prix fixe meals at one of a few places in the park or do the picnic meals as they include passes for the show with the meals.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 07, 2013 10:57 am

Wizzard419 wrote:If there is more than one showing for it, the second one is pretty easy to go to because all the groups with children will have gone to the first one and then left for the night. With world of color, you will need to get passes in the morning at Grizzly River Run (depending on the time of year they run out early in the day or may have passes right up until the show starts). Another option would be to either have one of the prix fixe meals at one of a few places in the park or do the picnic meals as they include passes for the show with the meals.
Is getting a pass from Grizzly River Run in the morning the only way to watch World of Color from the viewing area? And if that is the case, can you only watch one show if they are having two?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 07, 2013 11:47 am

Pretty much, that is the only way to watch it from the viewing area. They start distribution prior to the park opening, so you can run in early to get it if you want.

I am not sure how it works if you wanted to see both (they may even do up to three during the summer, but I don't recall) showings, the sign notes which showing is presently being handed out, but the system may only allow one showing per day per person.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Pretty much, that is the only way to watch it from the viewing area. They start distribution prior to the park opening, so you can run in early to get it if you want.

I am not sure how it works if you wanted to see both (they may even do up to three during the summer, but I don't recall) showings, the sign notes which showing is presently being handed out, but the system may only allow one showing per day per person.
Is there an entrance for people that want to get World of Color passes before the park opens? Or do you go in through the Grand Californian hotel entrance?

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Sun 07, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't think there's a separate entrance for those that want to get passes before the park opens. But it's best to make a run for the Radiator Springs Racers fastpass right by It's Tough to Be a Bug because those tickets sell out way faster than the World of Color ones. There's at least two or three different showings for WoC so you'd be able to get passes for whichever time is posted outside.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 07, 2013 2:50 pm

elizabethswann wrote:I don't think there's a separate entrance for those that want to get passes before the park opens. But it's best to make a run for the Radiator Springs Racers fastpass right by It's Tough to Be a Bug because those tickets sell out way faster than the World of Color ones. There's at least two or three different showings for WoC so you'd be able to get passes for whichever time is posted outside.
I might put F1gment on heading for the RSR fastpasses ~ she can just keep honking the horn on her scooter if people are being too slow ;) :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Yeah, they use the normal entrances, but like at WDW, (except on Weds and Sundays I think) the gates for the parks open early and you can go in up to a certain point. At DLR it's roughly near the hub and for DCA it is up to the distribution area for World of Color. You would probably want to get the RSR passes first as those seem to be gone before 11 am, even on slow days.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yeah, they use the normal entrances, but like at WDW, (except on Weds and Sundays I think) the gates for the parks open early and you can go in up to a certain point. At DLR it's roughly near the hub and for DCA it is up to the distribution area for World of Color. You would probably want to get the RSR passes first as those seem to be gone before 11 am, even on slow days.
Good to know. I don't think you can go in to WDW's MK before rope drop though, unless you have ressies to eat at the Castle. I do remember at DL we went in and had some sort of brekkie/snack somewhere on Main Street before the park opened.
Is there a single rider line for RSR? F1gment likely won't be able to go on that as she does not go on Test Track and I think RSR is pretty much the same type of attraction vehicle.
Last edited by Amy on Apr Sun 07, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Since she is in a wheelchair, fantasmic has a section for them, so you also wouldn't need to probably worry as much about it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Since she is in a wheelchair, fantasmic has a section for them, so you also wouldn't need to probably worry as much about it.
She is determined to be walking more before we go, but with her health conditions, she will still need to utilize an ECV to get around. Even with DL being that much smaller than WDW's MK, she can't handle that amount of walking in a month, much less squeezing that amount into 4 or 5 days. Standing for the length of a show would be iffy for her too.
That is handy to know. We might end up with one of the picnic packages one of the days. Not quite sure yet, but I do want to see the show a couple times anyhow ~ it looks amazing in the videos! :D

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Mon 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, you are in luck, Amy! There's a post I found through Pinterest that has 101 Great Disneyland Tips that could help you out! Even I'm enjoying these and I miss going.

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/101-be ... land-tips/

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 08, 2013 8:31 pm

elizabethswann wrote:Well, you are in luck, Amy! There's a post I found through Pinterest that has 101 Great Disneyland Tips that could help you out! Even I'm enjoying these and I miss going.

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/101-be ... land-tips/
Cool! Thanks :D I'm hoping you will have an AP again by early December!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 09, 2013 12:07 pm

As far as Blue Bayou goes, the atmosphere is definitely the reason to go! Perhaps you could just go for dessert?

You might want to check out Cafe Orleans across the way from BB. You can get the Monte Cristo there as well...and you might find something more suited to your tastes. There are 2 versions of the sandwich offered: regular (ham, turkey and cheese) or 3 cheese. We usually get one of each sandwich and share a bowl of pomme frites (fries with garlic and parmesan cheese).

World of Color is an amazing show! Fastpasses are required for the viewing area and there is an area in each section for wheelchairs. Definitely grab fastpasses for RSR first though.

If you haven't seen it, definitely go see Aladdin at DCA. It's a 45 minute show, but totally worth it!

The Nemo Subs have a room for wheelchairs/people who cannot physically ride in the subs, so don't let that discourage you from seeing the attraction (even though it's very similar to the Nemo attraction at Epcot).

One of our favorite places to relax and grab a bite to eat used to be the Hungry Bear Restaurant. We haven't eaten there since they changed the menu, so I cannot speak to the food choices, but the eating area is great! It's right on the water and is fantastic for watching the ducks and various water traffic.

I don't know how the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour has changed (except that I know you now get to see Walt's apartment) over the years, but when we went on it, we were able to stand in the foyer for Club 33. Perhaps they still do that...

We rode in the Lilly Belle in August 2011. Be sure to ask the conductors at the Main Street Station as early as possible in the morning. You get on at Main Street and it's a full circle trip with a conductor guide. We loved it!