Things not to miss!

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Things not to miss!

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 30, 2013 3:42 pm

I've been catching up on old disney food blog posts and am currently reading a Napa Rose Chef's counter review. I'm only partway through and I've realized that between both of our food allergies, neither my Mom or I would have been able to eat anything they offered so far. I realize that with the Chef's table, they personalize the menu to your allergies, likes and dislikes, but this got me to wondering...is it worth trying a fancy dinner if we have so many foods that we can't or (me in particular) won't eat?

I really, really, really would love to get into Club 33, but while I know some influential people here at home, I just don't have any connections for that experience sadly :( (I'm still licking my wounds from asking someone that works for Siemens if they could get us into the Spaceship Earth lounge. She said yes! Her boss said NO!) So...I'm asking for suggestions for restaurants that we really should try, favorite foods you've had, or even just read about if you haven't been to DL before. For example, F1gment would probably be game for the Monte Crisco Cristo sandwich that everyone raves about from the Blue Bayou. Does anyone know if you need reservations for lunch there? I've heard Disneyland is a lot more laid back about needing ressies.

I'm also looking for tips on overlooked, fun things to see and do. Areas that aren't always appreciated by the casual traveler or little things of interest. I'm definitely going to try to see if we can get a spin on the Lilly Belle railroad car while we are there. I've read that you can ask in the morning, and sometimes they will let you ride sometime during the day. Does anyone know if that is true? Or has anyone been lucky enough to ride it already themselves?

Anyhow, any helpful advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated! It has been awhile since we went to Disneyland and will probably be a long time before we return, so I want to make the most of our trip :mickey:

Thanks in advance! :figment:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Things not to miss!

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 30, 2013 3:51 pm

How severe allergies and aversions are we talking about?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:How severe allergies and aversions are we talking about?
Well, my Mom is allergic to shellfish/seafood and strawberries. And she can't tolerate sausage or bacon anymore. I'm allergic to coconut and moldy blue cheeses and pretty much don't eat beef, game or any dark meat ~ whether it be chicken, duck, turkey, lamb...I'm open to fish, but haven't tried a lot of varieties. I actually sampled a truffle oil salmon at Sam's Club yesterday. I like mushrooms, but I didn't like the taste of that particular dish. Yuck!
And I just looked at the Blue Bayou lunch menu ~ the Monte Cristo sandwich is $26?! :shock: I guess the sandwich is only available at lunch though from looking at the dinner menu. Might as well spring for the extra $20 and take her for the filet mignon at dinner. Unfortunately there really isn't anything that looks tasty at lunch or dinner for me...I wonder if I could drop her off and take in some attractions while she eats?!
I think my big thing is I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, on something that I may or may not like. I have no problem buying Mom a $50 steak if she will enjoy it. But I pretty much have to hide the menu prices so she doesn't go into shock over the cost :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Yeah, with aversions like that you might be disappointed if you were at some of the places. You would probably like trader sam's in the Disneyland hotel, that is a popular place.

The reason the sandwich costs so much is that it's at the blue bayou, so the price is higher. You may need reservations for lunch, depending on what time of year you are there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yeah, with aversions like that you might be disappointed if you were at some of the places. You would probably like trader sam's in the Disneyland hotel, that is a popular place.
The reason the sandwich costs so much is that it's at the blue bayou, so the price is higher. You may need reservations for lunch, depending on what time of year you are there.
Thanks for the suggestion of Trader Sam's. I had forgotten about that place already. That does look fun. I'll have to check out the menu. If we can sort of see what is available ahead of time that helps a lot. Mom is also diabetic and with the hectic pace of vacation and the time difference, that can through things off kilter. It helps to have a bit of a plan in place.
Maybe I'll win the lottery before December and then we can be all fancy :lol: I am looking forward to the fact that DL seems to have a lot of fresh fruit options available in the parks. Do you happen to know if those are reasonable priced?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 30, 2013 4:40 pm

If I recall, they are a little high for fresh fruit, but at the same time they are still not ridiculously expensive.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Apr Tue 02, 2013 7:42 pm

I wouldn't call the fruit prices reasonable, but there is the "captive audience upcharge" to consider. None of the park salads have ever appealed to me, as most carry enough dressing and other oddities to make it almost comparable to the Monte Cristo in terms of nutritional value.

I agree that the Bayou is all about the ambiance, and little to do with the food. Napa Rose and the new Carthay restaurant are the only DLR eateries that come close to matching food with (high-end) value.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Tue 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Your best bet would be to do Blue Bayou around lunch time if you want to score a cheaper price. It gets a bit more pricey during dinner.

Overlooked attractions, I'd say would be the Snow White wishing well. Some people know it but most people go through the castle or through the other ways to get to Fantasyland. I also think the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough in the castle is overlooked.

I was googling around for any other overlooked things and found this: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2424986 and this http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/04/20 ... -com-blog/ (though this one mostly has California Adventure ones). Definitely watch the musical chairs with Alice in Wonderland at Coke Corner! I watched it twice this past December and it's such great entertainment.

garyman
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by garyman » Apr Tue 02, 2013 11:47 pm

We never miss the Blue Bayou as we love the Filet Mignon there. Always good.

I also like the Fairy Fountains at night near Buzz Lightyear when they are actually running. I made a You Tube Video of them. As of late, they have not been running them at night. It would be nice if they would turn the lighted show back on.

:goofy: :donald: :ariel:

Never to old for Disney!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 03, 2013 6:59 am

Great tips ~ thanks! I'll definitely check out those links MsSwann!

I hope the Fairy Fountains are running garyman. I did see a video of them shortly after they were introduced to the parks, and they looked quite lovely at night!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Fri 05, 2013 2:16 am

The fairy fountains are very beautiful at night whenever they work.

I could basically point you in the direction of the bathrooms at Disneyland. I know most if not all. The best one that's a little bit hidden unless people pay close attention is the one by Alice in Wonderland. It's on the left hand side of the Y that leads into either Fantasyland or Tomorrowland with the Matterhorn in the middle.

You must eat the fried chicken at the Plaza Inn! It's so delicious.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 05, 2013 6:37 am

elizabethswann wrote:The fairy fountains are very beautiful at night whenever they work.

I could basically point you in the direction of the bathrooms at Disneyland. I know most if not all. The best one that's a little bit hidden unless people pay close attention is the one by Alice in Wonderland. It's on the left hand side of the Y that leads into either Fantasyland or Tomorrowland with the Matterhorn in the middle.

You must eat the fried chicken at the Plaza Inn! It's so delicious.
Yup, we've probably been to most of the bathrooms, including the one by Alice :lol:
I have heard good things about the Plaza Inn chicken. And F1gment likes chicken, so we might have to try that. Is that a walk up table service, quick service, or do you need ressies?

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Fri 05, 2013 9:15 am

I know that bathroom by Alice as well! I've only been to DLR once...and for just an 8 hour day...but I have been to that bathroom.

"small world"

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 05, 2013 4:28 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I know that bathroom by Alice as well! I've only been to DLR once...and for just an 8 hour day...but I have been to that bathroom.

"small world"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Sun 07, 2013 2:15 am

Amy wrote:You must eat the fried chicken at the Plaza Inn! It's so delicious.
Yup, we've probably been to most of the bathrooms, including the one by Alice :lol:
I have heard good things about the Plaza Inn chicken. And F1gment likes chicken, so we might have to try that. Is that a walk up table service, quick service, or do you need ressies?[/quote]

It's a quick service restaurant and there's seating both indoors and outdoors. It'd be nice to eat there before fireworks and find a nice spot out on the patio to watch the show without having to deal with the crowd standing in front of Main Street.