Things not to miss!

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Lori60
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Re: Things not to miss!

Post by Lori60 » Apr Thu 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks ElizabethSwan !! I am so excited to be heading back again in a few weeks.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Thu 11, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm happy to help! I've been on the property long enough to be a tour guide of sorts.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 11, 2013 6:58 pm

The parks are really easy to get around in as well. I remember the first time we went, I was looking at the map to see how to get to the next attraction and when I looked up, we had already arrived at the next attraction! DCA is bigger to get around, but DL is a breeze :D

jdubbya33
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by jdubbya33 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:How severe allergies and aversions are we talking about?
Well, my Mom is allergic to shellfish/seafood and strawberries. And she can't tolerate sausage or bacon anymore. I'm allergic to coconut and moldy blue cheeses and pretty much don't eat beef, game or any dark meat ~ whether it be chicken, duck, turkey, lamb...I'm open to fish, but haven't tried a lot of varieties. I actually sampled a truffle oil salmon at Sam's Club yesterday. I like mushrooms, but I didn't like the taste of that particular dish. Yuck!
And I just looked at the Blue Bayou lunch menu ~ the Monte Cristo sandwich is $26?! :shock: I guess the sandwich is only available at lunch though from looking at the dinner menu. Might as well spring for the extra $20 and take her for the filet mignon at dinner. Unfortunately there really isn't anything that looks tasty at lunch or dinner for me...I wonder if I could drop her off and take in some attractions while she eats?!
I think my big thing is I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, on something that I may or may not like. I have no problem buying Mom a $50 steak if she will enjoy it. But I pretty much have to hide the menu prices so she doesn't go into shock over the cost :lol:

The 26 dollar Monte Cristo Sandwich brings back memories of looking at the Blue Bayou menu. I always remind myself that I don't I usually only visit twice a year so why not. Usually I eat at the Plaza Inn. The food is at least as good and less expensive. I'm going again in May which will be the first time in three years. I gave up on getting into club 33 :lol:

jdubbya33

Post by jdubbya33 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Belle1082 wrote:Thanks to Amy - I'm joining in on this thread and asking for DLR advice! Haven't been in 10 years and barely remember anything, so I feel like everything will be new to me. Staying at the Grand Californian...super pumped about that as well.

Looking for food suggestions, trip tips and recommendations for a 4 day trip in June! Thanks friends!

The Grand Californian is an excellent choice. The Monorail system from and to the hotel is one of the many luxuries you'll have a chance to enjoy.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 6:47 pm

One note, the monorail has been iffy in terms of being running over the past few months. Even then, it's like a 5 min walk from the side entrance of the GC to the security tent.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:One note, the monorail has been iffy in terms of being running over the past few months. Even then, it's like a 5 min walk from the side entrance of the GC to the security tent.
We found it was generally faster to walk through Downtown Disney from the Disneyland Hotel to the parks rather than take the monorail. And the monorail was never running very early in the morning so we almost always had to walk to the parks anyhow.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 8:11 pm

I wonder if it was done as a cost saving measure (less specialized staff on call, less cost) or if it was a means to prevent people from parking in the DTD lot (taking up limited space) and hopping the monorail over? You do have to pay, but if you are an AP holder and it's a short trip (under 3 hours) you can get in the parks faster than if you take the tram.

jdubbya33

Post by jdubbya33 » Apr Fri 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:One note, the monorail has been iffy in terms of being running over the past few months. Even then, it's like a 5 min walk from the side entrance of the GC to the security tent.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's been three years since I stayed at the Grand Californian so I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
Jonathan

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Apr Sun 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Riding the Monorail to get inside faster in the morning used to be one of my favorite "tricks". Instead of wading through the crowds at the front entrance, it would deposit you in the back. I had a pre-staged route to follow to ride everything in the park inside 3 hours. The staggered start times have finished that idea.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 14, 2013 9:41 pm

I wonder if it became an issue since the 3 hour window (if going at the start) overlaps slightly with the lunch window, which could theoretically drive paying customers away? At the same time, it seems like outside of a Friday/weekend night, the gate is never actually operating so parking is free.

Even when the monorail is not operational, they still keep most of the staff there, doing nothing. So outside of the possible engineering crew, the savings might not be that great.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Thu 18, 2013 9:16 am

GeoffS wrote:Riding the Monorail to get inside faster in the morning used to be one of my favorite "tricks". Instead of wading through the crowds at the front entrance, it would deposit you in the back. I had a pre-staged route to follow to ride everything in the park inside 3 hours. The staggered start times have finished that idea.
So good to know! I feel so foolish that I don't have my 'game plan' because I literally do not remember DL (haven't been there since 2000) and have never been to CA! THose are the tricks I need to make note of!

Also - I recently found out about the 'Morning Power Walk' through California Adventure. Has anyone done this before? The way it looked in the video seemed like a great way to see the park completely empty and get almost a backstage type tour that is free as long as you are staying in one of the resort hotels. I would love to hear more if anyone has done this before!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 18, 2013 11:36 am

Belle1082 wrote:
GeoffS wrote:Riding the Monorail to get inside faster in the morning used to be one of my favorite "tricks". Instead of wading through the crowds at the front entrance, it would deposit you in the back. I had a pre-staged route to follow to ride everything in the park inside 3 hours. The staggered start times have finished that idea.
So good to know! I feel so foolish that I don't have my 'game plan' because I literally do not remember DL (haven't been there since 2000) and have never been to CA! THose are the tricks I need to make note of!

Also - I recently found out about the 'Morning Power Walk' through California Adventure. Has anyone done this before? The way it looked in the video seemed like a great way to see the park completely empty and get almost a backstage type tour that is free as long as you are staying in one of the resort hotels. I would love to hear more if anyone has done this before!
I haven't heard of the morning power walk thingie! I will have to look into that ~ thanks! :D

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Fri 19, 2013 8:44 am

elizabethswann wrote:
Amy wrote:You must eat the fried chicken at the Plaza Inn! It's so delicious.
Yup, we've probably been to most of the bathrooms, including the one by Alice :lol:
I have heard good things about the Plaza Inn chicken. And F1gment likes chicken, so we might have to try that. Is that a walk up table service, quick service, or do you need ressies?
It's a quick service restaurant and there's seating both indoors and outdoors. It'd be nice to eat there before fireworks and find a nice spot out on the patio to watch the show without having to deal with the crowd standing in front of Main Street.[/quote]
Gosh - I feel like I need to start making a list on my phone of all of the things I can't miss!

So many bathrooms - does anyone have a top 3?

And that fried chicken sounds amazing!!!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Fri 19, 2013 8:49 am

Amy wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:

I haven't heard of the morning power walk thingie! I will have to look into that ~ thanks! :D
I had never heard about it either, but when I was watching some youtube videos from Disney Parks Blog and came across this power walk video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... 7DPzgdEgmU
I just love the idea that it is in the parks when they are empty and a great way to start your day! Would love to hear if anyone has ever done it!