Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Things not to miss!

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Great tips MmeLeota ~ thanks!
I will have a look at the Cafe Orleans menu and see what looks tasty there. Can you go to the Blue Bayou just for dessert? That always seems to be my favorite part of any meal anyhow so I would mind skipping right to the dessert :lol:
RSR FP first, World of Color FP second ~ got it!
We have seen Aladdin on our past trips, but we will definitely be going again. It really is an enjoyable show :D
I had read that about there being a room for the Nemo Subs for people with difficulties getting into the sub. We probably will check that out although I think F1gment could pass up that attraction without complaint. We love the Finding Nemo the Musical in AK so she probably wouldn't mind missing some fake fishies and coral.
Hmmm, I will have to look at what used to be the Hungry Bear too. Is that down near the rivers of America?
We took the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour one time when we went. I think that is when we had my bah-Disney brother with us. We didn't get to go into Walt's apartment or inside the Club 33 lobby :( Not sure it is worth re-taking the tour for either of those opportunities though. Although that does remind me to check out what tours are available.
Definitely going to try to speak with the conductors at Main Street about a spin on the Liberty Belle! :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 09, 2013 6:03 pm

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just have dessert at Blue Bayou...plus by doing that, you could go at a less popular time of day so it won't be as crowded. We used to eat there once per trip, but we haven't eaten there in years...mainly because it got so popular and expensive!
Yes, Hungry Bear is along the Rivers of America, in Critter Country. They used to have the typical burgers and such...but we used to get the onion rings from there. They were yummy, but I think they are no longer sold there and I think they sell healthier options there now. But the eating area is still a great spot to have a snack and relax even if you don't eat a whole meal.
Now, if you ask the conductors to have a ride on the Liberty Belle, they may try sending you to Florida... :shock: ;) But if you ask to ride in the Lilly Belle, you might have more success. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 09, 2013 8:03 pm

MmeLeota wrote:...Now, if you ask the conductors to have a ride on the Liberty Belle, they may try sending you to Florida... :shock: ;) But if you ask to ride in the Lilly Belle, you might have more success. :D
Whoops! Boy did you ever help me from inserting my foot in my mouth :shock: :oops: Perhaps they would take pity on me??

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Tue 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Weren't they planning on having a minimum charge per guest at BB?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 09, 2013 8:32 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Weren't they planning on having a minimum charge per guest at BB?
I haven't turned up anything like that with a quick search, but I will look into it some more. I'm thinking we might just pass on this one. The lower light levels aren't going to be ideal for F1gment getting around anyhow. We shall see...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Tue 09, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm not sure if it was a minimum charge or if they were just making it a rule that everyone had to order since splitting apparently was common there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I'm not sure if it was a minimum charge or if they were just making it a rule that everyone had to order since splitting apparently was common there.
Aha. The menu online does mention a $12 plate splitting charge. That charge includes a salad or gumbo for each diner, so that doesn't seem too bad. But it might be high enough for people to avoid splitting an entree. I just didn't see anything on the menu I would want to eat....

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Wed 10, 2013 1:55 am

I'm with MmeLeota with doing the 'observation deck' of the Nemo subs especially if you have any claustrophobic people in your group. It's a nice sized room with some seats and it's nicer than leaning forward and getting a backache.

I still have yet to take any of the guided tours there so I don't have anything to say about them but I'd say to take the Walk in Walt's Footsteps since I hear good things!

Also, Amy, I'm HOPING to have a job there at DLR by December. ;) I'm going to try!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 10, 2013 7:06 am

elizabethswann wrote:I'm with MmeLeota with doing the 'observation deck' of the Nemo subs especially if you have any claustrophobic people in your group. It's a nice sized room with some seats and it's nicer than leaning forward and getting a backache.

I still have yet to take any of the guided tours there so I don't have anything to say about them but I'd say to take the Walk in Walt's Footsteps since I hear good things!

Also, Amy, I'm HOPING to have a job there at DLR by December. ;) I'm going to try!
That would be very cool!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Wed 10, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks to Amy - I'm joining in on this thread and asking for DLR advice! Haven't been in 10 years and barely remember anything, so I feel like everything will be new to me. Staying at the Grand Californian...super pumped about that as well.

Looking for food suggestions, trip tips and recommendations for a 4 day trip in June! Thanks friends!

Lori60
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Lori60 » Apr Wed 10, 2013 6:01 pm

We went to DLR for the first time since 1978 this past November. Fell in love with both parks so much that my husband and I are planning an adult only trip May 4 - 9, ( last trip was us plus daughter, her husband and 11 month granddaughter). We are soooo excited. My question is... places for breakfast in either of the parks or DTD? any suggestions?

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Thu 11, 2013 1:58 am

Carnation Cafe's your best bet for breakfast at the park! Also I think Storyteller's Cafe in the Grand Californian hotel has breakfast and I think it's a character breakfast. House of Blues in DTD has a brunch as does Goofy's Kitchen in Disneyland Hotel.

You can check out whatever works best for you here! http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Thu 11, 2013 9:44 am

Exactly how close is everything all together? I'm having a hard time figuring out where things are, how long it takes to get places and different ways you can get there.

We are staying at the Grand Californian. As far as I know - you can walk to both parks from there. Is that true? Also, how far is DTD from GC?

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Thu 11, 2013 11:33 am

DTD is right out the door from GC. Just follow the hallway on the right from the check-in desk in the lobby and it will lead you right into DTD. If you go right, you can go walk right towards the entrance and towards the left, you can go down and take the monorail. Storyteller's Cafe is out the opposite end of the lobby and down the walkway right across from the pool.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Thu 11, 2013 11:36 am

elizabethswann wrote:DTD is right out the door from GC. Just follow the hallway on the right from the check-in desk in the lobby and it will lead you right into DTD. If you go right, you can go walk right towards the entrance and towards the left, you can go down and take the monorail. Storyteller's Cafe is out the opposite end of the lobby and down the walkway right across from the pool.
oh Awesome!!! I love how close everything will be! That helps to save time since we will only be there for a few days.