Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

hackmonkey
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

FastPASS changes?!.....Really?

Post by hackmonkey » Mar Sat 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Hello all,
Sorry if there is already a thread for this. A quick look did not turn anything up for me.

Anyway, I was giving some standard Disneyland tips to a coworker who was about to take his family for the first time. One of the big things I usually tell people is fastPASS tips like; always have the next pass before using the first first, if it is a popular ride and the line is currently short get a fastPASS then just get in the normal line and use the pass to jump on again, and finally YOU CAN USE A FASTPASS ANYTIME AFTER THE START TIME UNTIL THE PARK CLOSES THAT DAY. He came back from his trip a telling me that he had to toss some passes because they are now enforcing the 1-hour window. He was a bit upset at my advice and kind of indicated that I did not know what I was talking about. Since he was not a DL regular it was hard to convince him that it used to be the way I explained. I looked online and found some articles from 2012 but no recent information on whether this new policy stuck and whether it is really enforced.

PLEASE TELL ME IT ISN'T SO....are they really enforcing the 1-HOUR window now??!! Some of the articles prior to CARS LAND speculated it was a temporary method for getting ready for the CARS LAND opening as they anticipated a huge turn out. What is the update? Thanks

Hackmonkey

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: FastPASS changes?!.....Really?

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Not sure about DL but there have been several articles about WDW and the fact that they are now enforcing the return times on the FP. Sorry ~ it's true...

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Sat 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Yeah it's been true at WDW for awhile now, maybe even a year. I didn't know they had carried it over to DLR, too. Sorry you and your friend had a disagreement. That stinks.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 09, 2013 7:55 pm

If I recall, it was in one of the dateline disneyland posts.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Mar Sat 09, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm hoping he wasn't THAT upset about such a minor issue, but, really, the Pass does have an hour window printed on it, so the "till park closes" was kind of an unofficial nod.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 09, 2013 8:56 pm

The main reason they enacted it at both resorts was due to people doing that as well and them ending up with long lines for Toy Story Mania at DHS and RSR at DCA. The big problem though is that it can result in them modifying the behavior of a paying customer since they may opt for faster meal over sit-down dinner, or skip a course so they can be back in time.

hackmonkey

Post by hackmonkey » Mar Sat 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Bummer. Yeah, the ticket does say return between this time and no one promised anything different but the fact 'was' you could use a fastpass anytime after the start time for Years and Years. The way I see it, if you must return within that hour, it modifies your behavior in the sense that you may not go to that other ride on the other side of the park, have a long meal (or any at all), or actually prevent you from being on more rides. I mean, think about getting a fastpass for Splash Mountain that is not good for an hour and a half from the point you get it. Now Splash M is at the very end of one side of the park with only a couple of other major attractions near it. That fastpass has now tethered you to that side of the park as there is no way you could make a ride in fantasy land or tomorrow land and be back on time (at least with dragging 3 kids around).

Anyway, it was a good run while it lasted. I am aware that the intent of the FP's were always to return in that window time, but for those in the know it was a major perk.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Mar Sat 09, 2013 11:49 pm

well, you dont have to get a fastpass at all, and just hang in the queues...

captianbubble
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by captianbubble » Mar Sun 10, 2013 2:05 am

Would it be the same for people with disabilities?
Disney World Here I Come!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 10, 2013 8:15 am

captianbubble wrote:Would it be the same for people with disabilities?
I would guess they would enforce the return time on fast passes for those needing accommodations, but if you are going to be using a guest assistance pass, I think you would be allowed in the fast pass queue without having to hold an actual fast pass. We found the guest assistance pass rules to be quite varied depending on the attraction and also on the CM at the front of the attraction. F1gment cannot walk long distances, climb up and down stairs, or stand for very long. Sometimes we were directed to the fast pass return queue, sometimes the regular queue and other attractions we needed to wait to the side until they had a large group to take in (Spaceship Earth fits that last example).

captianbubble

Post by captianbubble » Mar Sun 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Amy wrote:
captianbubble wrote:Would it be the same for people with disabilities?
I would guess they would enforce the return time on fast passes for those needing accommodations, but if you are going to be using a guest assistance pass, I think you would be allowed in the fast pass queue without having to hold an actual fast pass. We found the guest assistance pass rules to be quite varied depending on the attraction and also on the CM at the front of the attraction. F1gment cannot walk long distances, climb up and down stairs, or stand for very long. Sometimes we were directed to the fast pass return queue, sometimes the regular queue and other attractions we needed to wait to the side until they had a large group to take in (Spaceship Earth fits that last example).
Yes. I used the guest assistance pass With the past pass. I think.
One time I had to wait on Soarin ride but it was only not hours to wait. It was minutes. I know there is different rules, so I guess I will have to wait until my nest trip.
Disney World Here I Come!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Mon 11, 2013 9:45 am

Amy wrote:Not sure about DL but there have been several articles about WDW and the fact that they are now enforcing the return times on the FP. Sorry ~ it's true...
And it works a lot better now.

I never give my friends info without making sure it's correct... So I can see where your friend is coming from. I wouldn't be happy either.