Tagging one on...

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Tagging one on...

Post by cy1229 » Dec Thu 06, 2012 8:04 am

This MIGHT be better for Trip Planning but it's DLR specific so... here goes!

Sometime this summer, probably in mid-July, I'm scheduled to do a 2-day workshop with NASA at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Pasadena. Since I'll be so freaking close, I'm thinking about adding two nights, and one day, to hit DLR. If I schedule it right, I could even add a second day if I catch a late flight back to Indy. So my question: Is one day enough to do DLR? And, is it enough to do both DLR and CA? Or do they each need a day to be done "right?" If we can pull it off, I would have the hubby fly out and join me, too, which would be fun (but he won't bring the BLISTER SHOES. :lol: ) I've only ever been to WDW so I don't know what's a reasonable expectation. I do know DLR is smaller than the WDW MK but don't know if that makes it more manageable with respect to time.

Thanks!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Tagging one on...

Post by Len90 » Dec Thu 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Having just come back from California I can say that one day is going to be VERY tough to handle both. You will need to wake up for rope drop at DCA just to get your fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers. Those things on a quiet morning are done for the day by the time 12:00 comes around. In addition to that, you have to take into account the nighttime performances. DCA has WOC while DL has Fireworks and most likely (since it is summer) Fantasmic. Add on all the other attractions and I just don't see it happening. Don't be fooled by the small size when compared to WDW, there is still a lot of walking and a ton of attractions to see.

We did three days in the parks and it definitely was the perfect amount for us. Granted we wanted to do a few things twice, see all the night shows, and not feel completely rushed. My feeling is that if you want to just get a glimpse of it all, one day will suffice. If you really want to see everything you will need at least two days so you can conquer both parks and DTD.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Thu 06, 2012 11:55 pm

It depends mostly on what you want out of it. You could do it all in one day if you only want to go on the big things and see probably one night show.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 07, 2012 9:27 am

I would suggest adding an extra day. The summer will be a bit more crowded so you will likely be dealing with longer queues too. Two nights is perfect as you can see World of Color one night and the fireworks and Fantasmic the other night.
Like Len said, there is a still a lot of walking, but it is so fun to get to DL after you have been used to WDW. It seems like you only have to walk a few steps and you are at your destination. I remember the first time we went to DL and I was looking at the map and walking, and when I looked up, we were where I was trying to get us already :shock: :lol:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Dec Tue 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It depends mostly on what you want out of it. You could do it all in one day if you only want to go on the big things and see probably one night show.
No... that doesn't sound appealing at all.

Since hubby and I would leave the girls home :shock: :shock: :shock: (I can hear them now: "You're NOT taking us???") we would want to just take it all in. After all, we rarely go west, and who knows when I'll have an opportunity like this again.

Sounds like you guys think at least two days. Coolio.

Going to also look into where we should stay, if I'm renting a car for work (and just adding two days to that), yada yada yada. YAY! Another Disney trip to plan! Maybe. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Wed 12, 2012 1:32 am

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:It depends mostly on what you want out of it. You could do it all in one day if you only want to go on the big things and see probably one night show.
No... that doesn't sound appealing at all.

Since hubby and I would leave the girls home :shock: :shock: :shock: (I can hear them now: "You're NOT taking us???") we would want to just take it all in. After all, we rarely go west, and who knows when I'll have an opportunity like this again.

Sounds like you guys think at least two days. Coolio.

Going to also look into where we should stay, if I'm renting a car for work (and just adding two days to that), yada yada yada. YAY! Another Disney trip to plan! Maybe. :)
I would advise across the street. We stayed at the Fairfield Anaheim and it did the trick. You are about a 7 minute walk to either park's front gate. Other hotels that are across the street are the Carousel, Camelot Inn, Tropicana, Best Western.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"