LGB taxi to DL

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: LGB taxi to DL

Post by GeoffS » Dec Fri 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Len - Sounds like you did the math. As I said, each trip is different, so you made the best decision for you. I hope it can work out for others to consider alternate transit because of the huge effort undertaken by Los Angeles and Long Beach to improve those options.

Wiz - I grew up in LA, and reside in San Diego now. I have been riding safely for over 30 years. I know Southern California traffic from experience in the saddle. I still wholeheartedly disagree with your perception of bicycle-related accidents. Of course a bike doesn't offer the same protection as a car, but 49% of traumatic brain injuries (TBI) requiring hospitalization come from motor vehicle accidents, while bicycle accidents account for less than 1%. Accidents involving bicycles and motor vehicles account for only 16% of bicycle accidents. You are far more likely to fall off your bike (47%) than get hit by a car.

While motor vehicles really are a significant cause of injury and damage, it is a fear-based response that motorists are "out to get you." The vast majority just don't want to hit anything. A small percentage get annoyed or frustrated because they are ignorant of how bicycles are supposed to safely operate in the roadway, and those people are the ones that yell and honk. A few use their cars to bully others, trying to "teach them a lesson." There are incredibly few cases of people using their vehicle to deliberately strike pedestrians and bicycles.

Public education is one way to reduce the frustration and friction of traffic. Motorists need to read AND understand bicycle-related vehicle codes, and bike riders need to read those same rules AND drive their bikes in a legal fashion. In the meantime, when you're on a bike, obey the law and BE PREDICTABLE -- i.e. use signals, ride with traffic, don't make sudden moves without checking -- and you can reduce chance of conflict. When driving around bicycles, understand that they are not "in the way" or "holding you up," they have a legal right to use the roadway and are trying to get somewhere safely (just like you). Give them room, because big cars moving fast can be scary and unpredictable. The rider may be away from the the right hand side of the road because she is trying to avoid a road hazard or car door, or the lane may just be too narrow to fit a bike and car side-by-side. If you lose 15 seconds behind a bike, you can make up the time on the rest of your drive easily. The best method is JUST CHANGE LANES TO PASS. It's not only safer, it's required by law.

I've talked enough. Thanks for reading this far. If you would like to read more about bicycles and how expectations of fear don't match up with reality, I've provided some links below.

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/risks.htm

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/bl ... by-bicycle

http://www.floridabicycle.org/freedomfromfear.html

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: LGB taxi to DL

Post by Len90 » Dec Fri 07, 2012 6:11 pm

GeoffS wrote:Len - Sounds like you did the math. As I said, each trip is different, so you made the best decision for you. I hope it can work out for others to consider alternate transit because of the huge effort undertaken by Los Angeles and Long Beach to improve those options.
Economics minor makes me think about the opportunity cost, alternative options, and everything else. :D LA area traffic is horrendous (I know now from experience) and it definitely is good to see the efforts made for alternative/mass transit.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"