LGB taxi to DL

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

viking245
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

LGB taxi to DL

Post by viking245 » Nov Thu 29, 2012 8:14 am

Flying down to DL later this AM. Is the taxi fare still set at @ $45 from Long Beach (LGB) to the DL resorts? I know it's different going back. Sorry, it's been a couple years. Thanks. (coming from Seattle, so the "rain" shouldn't be an issue. :-) )

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: LGB taxi to DL

Post by GeoffS » Nov Fri 30, 2012 9:50 pm

It looks more like ~$60 on the local fare rate. I don't know if you're referring to a flat rate offer they have from the airport, but I can't find any other info.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Dec Sat 01, 2012 4:37 pm

Sorry I am late in replying but $45 would be a good price. There is a bus service from LAX but not from LGB.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 01, 2012 5:06 pm

That is the drawback of Long Beach, the funny thing is that DLR is literally down the street from it... about 15 miles, since ball road turns into one of the streets that connect into the terminal.

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Dec Sun 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Public transit takes about an hour (plus walking time) - Long Beach Transit bus 104 leaves the airport, transfer to OCTA bus 46. Total cost = $2.75. Driving in no traffic takes about 30-40 minutes, by comparison.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sun 02, 2012 5:00 pm

GeoffS wrote:Public transit takes about an hour (plus walking time) - Long Beach Transit bus 104 leaves the airport, transfer to OCTA bus 46. Total cost = $2.75. Driving in no traffic takes about 30-40 minutes, by comparison.
Can't beat under $3 for transportation!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sun 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Except that it probably takes 2 hours to travel the 14-15 miles.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sun 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Except that it probably takes 2 hours to travel the 14-15 miles.
Well, depending on what else was going on, I would take the time hit to save the money...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sun 02, 2012 5:42 pm

If it were about $60, and had a family of 4, it breaks down to less than a shuttle and would be faster.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Sun 02, 2012 9:42 pm

For 3 people to take the Disneyland Shuttle out of LAX it would be around $90+. Then you have to meet their schedule, which is every 15, 30, or 60 depending on the time of day. We rented a car for $136 after taxes and were able to go at our own pace, go out at night when the parks closed early, and go shopping at the Citadel.

I personally am always a fan of renting a car. I always prefer the idea of having that freedom of going whenever and wherever.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Dec Wed 05, 2012 2:31 am

Yup, freedom to pay extra for parking and gas, hunt for parking, sit in traffic burning gas... Once you're inside the resort, a car is pointless. I take your point that the more people you have, the more efficient a car can become, but freedom ain't as free as you make it out to be. LAX to DL? Green line, transfer to 460, 2 hours tops. $1.50. Me? Amtrak to Anaheim station. Bus or bike to the park (depends on my mood and traffic). $26.50 with the bus, $24 without. If I take my touring bike, the racks are right at the entrance. Folding bike goes in the large lockers. Go whenever and wherever I want. And shopping at the Citadel? What's there that isn't at the Orange Outlet five blocks from DL?

As I posted above, the bus with one transfer from LGB takes an hour, while driving is 30-40 minutes. This does not include the time you spend picking up your rental car, finding parking at DL, waiting for the tram, and riding the tram to the entrance.

Transit nuts are like Disney nuts. We do the long math when others prefer the shorthand. The more money I save in transportation, the more I have to to spend on other frills. The time saving is a near fallacy. Not risking an accident in Elay and Orangutan County traffic is priceless.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Wed 05, 2012 10:01 pm

Arguably, since I have considered public transit, you are also not putting a value on your time or your time is not worth very much. Yeah, you don't spend a lot of cash taking public transit, but you also waste a hell of a lot of time since it isn't direct. That and drivers are nuts, considering there are ghost bikes right by disneyland.

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Dec Thu 06, 2012 12:01 pm

You missed the points of my post. The times I list for transit are beginning to end of destination, including transfers. The time for taking a car has to add in hidden factors: if you rent a car, how long does the process take? Once you arrive at your destination, how long does it take to park the car? Once you park, how long does it take to reach your actual destination? Transit typically drops you off within 1/4 mile of your destination, often less (as is the case at DLR). The TOTAL TIME expended is roughly equal, but most fail to factor that in because they only think about drive time.

The LAX example is illustrative: walk out of terminal, get on train, ride, wait for transfer, get on bus, exit at front gate of DLR. Total time will be approximately two hours. If you compare that to the shuttle service, the shuttle will beat you by about 30-45 minutes on average. Renting a car from LAX, especially since LAX rental lot is off property, means waiting for a shuttle, going to the lot, doing the paperwork and inspection, driving 40-50 minutes, getting into the DLR parking facility, paying for parking, waiting for the tram, then finally arriving. Or, going to your hotel (most of which charge for parking), and either take their shuttle (if offered) on their schedule, or finding some other way to the park. Your total time will be equal if not greater to public transit. This is one example, and does not apply to other situations.

Drivers may or may not be "nuts", but the presence of ghost bikes does not indicate higher or lower safety for a mode of transportation. No one puts ghost cars up for the 102 motor vehicle fatalities in Orange County from 2010, whereas the 3 bicycle fatalities seem to have greater visibility because of the uniqueness of the incidents. Bikes are safer than you think, as long as you operate in accordance with the rules of the road. Two of the three bike fatalities were due to the rider disobeying traffic rules (one going against a traffic signal, the other riding without lights at night and crossing an intersection from a sidewalk against a traffic signal).

Look, there are tons of OPTIONS available for getting to DLR. My experience allows me to highlight those alternatives and make them seem less abnormal to someone who may be casually interested in doing something other than driving. I'm not interested in getting everyone out of cars and onto buses. That would be idiotic, because I don't know the decision making factors affecting everyone. I am interested in making sure that someone on the fence has a more realistic impression rather than stereotypical negative ideologies. Bottom line, don't assume people on transit are "wasting their time," and don't assume that riding a bike is inherently dangerous.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Thu 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Geoff you're way works if you are planning on staying on the DLR property or across the street for your length of stay. We wanted to go shopping at Citadel, eat at In-N-Out by LAX, and drive around at night to Fullerton so getting a car for $150 after gas, taxes etc was perfect. Being an Econ minor I always place an intrinsic value for time. My experience with Alamo was about 20 minutes from gate to being in the car and 15 minutes from dropping off the car to arriving at LAX. The parking at the hotel was negligible for us and we were pretty much across the street from the gate so no need to worry about shuttle schedules or parking at Disneyland.

For my needs on THIS trip a car was the best option. For a future trip that may not be so. Case in point... weigh the options and figure out which is best for you :D
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Fri 07, 2012 12:01 am

I got your point, I'm saying that either your time isn't as valued as others or you don't assign the value of your time. Your example may also be faulty since you can get from LAX to OC in less than 30 mins (yes, you can I have done it)

I am not debating the safety of a bike, but how well does it defend against a car hitting it? Plus, you don't have to be killed in a bike wreck to screw up your life, you can have massive damage. Also, having lived in So Cal my entire life, the drivers here are f*cking insane when it comes to anything with less than 4 wheels. Pedestrian, cyclist, etc. you are viewed as an enemy.