Innoventions to finally close?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Innoventions to finally close?

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 14, 2013 8:20 pm

My guess, for the past, was that the licensing costs were too high to add anything relevant. That is always the big problem with using pop-culture, you have to update it regularly or it will get stale or people will be confused by it.

If I say "Cagney", a young will say "Who?", an old will say "Lacey?", and a near dead will say "James?". :D

UncleScrooge477
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Apr Sat 20, 2013 11:39 am

Wizzard419 wrote:My guess, for the past, was that the licensing costs were too high to add anything relevant. That is always the big problem with using pop-culture, you have to update it regularly or it will get stale or people will be confused by it.

If I say "Cagney", a young will say "Who?", an old will say "Lacey?", and a near dead will say "James?". :D
Ha! And Buzz - Buzz Berekley? Buzz Aldrin? Buzz Lightyear?

:lol:
UncleScrooge477

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Sun 21, 2013 11:46 pm

Wizzard419 wrote: As for prop displays... they kind of don't work as an attraction since they aren't engaging, hence why planet Hollywood tanked so hard (that and bad food, mismanagement, etc.). Speaking of, they really need to do something about the great movie ride, when their most recent film scene is from 30 years ago, that is a problem. Even the montage at the end has only one clip/image that is just slightly under 10 years old.
I think Planet Hollywood also tanked due to overpriced food. I honestly only eat at the one in WDW just to utilize my $15 vouchers every year and get the free pin.

As for TGMR, I think we have discussed that over in the WDW section a lot. The actual movie scenes do need a lot of work and the attraction is pretty much unchanged since it opened. The movie at the end has been clipped a few times. The most recent redo brought in Pirates and Finding Nemo.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 22, 2013 6:08 am

Len90 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:As for prop displays... they kind of don't work as an attraction since they aren't engaging, hence why planet Hollywood tanked so hard (that and bad food, mismanagement, etc.). Speaking of, they really need to do something about the great movie ride, when their most recent film scene is from 30 years ago, that is a problem. Even the montage at the end has only one clip/image that is just slightly under 10 years old.
I think Planet Hollywood also tanked due to overpriced food. I honestly only eat at the one in WDW just to utilize my $15 vouchers every year and get the free pin.

As for TGMR, I think we have discussed that over in the WDW section a lot. The actual movie scenes do need a lot of work and the attraction is pretty much unchanged since it opened. The movie at the end has been clipped a few times. The most recent redo brought in Pirates and Finding Nemo.
In addition to being overpriced, we have found Planet Hollywood's food isn't very good either. We do go to use the voucher like you do Len, but we generally split an appetizer and that's it. Last time I got it to go and we ate it outside and found it to be a much more relaxing experience away from the noise inside the restaurant. I think I forgot to stop at the gift shop for our pin though...

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Apr Mon 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Well I won't mind seeing Innoventions close. It really amazes me how much trouble Disney has finding something substantial for that area. Iron Man certainly has potential; I hope that they incorporate some of the new techniques as they have in Tokyo.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Mon 22, 2013 10:35 pm

It is in a really tight spot since they have the railroad tracks, the monorail, a major road, and other stuff that can't be moved without a major headache. It is a similar problem that some of the WDW parks face, sure they have masses of land that isn't used yet, but that doesn't mean it is next to the parks.

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Apr Wed 24, 2013 2:48 am

Oh I know they have limitations because of the physical space, I guess that Tomorrowland as a whole has given Imagineering some fits due to its' supposed "look to the future." It's too bad Autopia stays popular with little kids as that space, added to the CoP site could really add up to something. Ah well, when I become DLR Prez...
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 24, 2013 8:06 am

DisneySpin wrote:Oh I know they have limitations because of the physical space, I guess that Tomorrowland as a whole has given Imagineering some fits due to its' supposed "look to the future." It's too bad Autopia stays popular with little kids as that space, added to the CoP site could really add up to something. Ah well, when I become DLR Prez...
But Autopia in DL is awesome ~ it has that little off-road section, and you get a driver's license! Much better than the WDW Speedway...

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Apr Wed 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Pfft. Autopia is more boring than Innoventions. The two-stroke engines reek of fumes and the noise is annoying. A bumper car ride like Tow Mater's in CA would let the kids drive and eliminate the riding lawnmowers. Besides, it's Tomorrowland - shouldn't they have gone electric by now?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Wed 24, 2013 11:00 pm

I am sure Chevron would love to sponsor an attraction that would promote a car that would not use it's products. :D

Tigger Fan
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Tigger Fan » Aug Thu 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Bring back carousel of progress (updated of course) or a new version of America sings, or any other attraction that would let people sit for twenty minutes in air conditioning, riding the outside ring watching a show. Then make the upstairs a dark ride tied into the show below.

How about a ride system like peter pan only you lay down flying over a city at night and something attacks you? There must be a marvel character that they could use.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Tigger Fan wrote:Bring back carousel of progress (updated of course) or a new version of America sings, or any other attraction that would let people sit for twenty minutes in air conditioning, riding the outside ring watching a show. Then make the upstairs a dark ride tied into the show below.

How about a ride system like peter pan only you lay down flying over a city at night and something attacks you? There must be a marvel character that they could use.
You had me until something attacks you :shock:
:lol:

Tigger Fan

Post by Tigger Fan » Aug Fri 02, 2013 10:33 pm

I agree that nothing has to attack you in the ride, I would prefer that myself, but Disney would want to make it lets say challenging.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Fri 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Spoiler alert, Disney will be adding a new exhibit for their Infinite game/figure/skylanders knock-off line. Apparently there is a special AP preview next week.

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Aug Fri 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Back on original topic: Is there any reason why Disney shouldn't update Innoventions with D23 exhibits? Seems almost a natural fit, and gets extended value out of things conceived for the exhibition. Of course, it wouldn't necessarily be called Innoventions anymore, but rather some play on the 'exhibition' phrasing.