Innoventions to finally close?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Innoventions to finally close?

Post by elizabethswann » Oct Wed 17, 2012 7:11 pm

I read an article yesterday from Al Lutz on Micechat talking about Innoventions supposedly closing. I'll share it with you.

Tomorrowland won’t get any Christmas decorations, as the last holdout of a land that ignores the holidays. But the plans to shutter Innoventions and begin work on an Iron Man themed E Ticket thrill ride in that space continue to move through the approval process in both Burbank and Glendale. If you are one of those few fans of Innoventions, or simply want to get a look at what’s left of the revolving theater ride system there since 1967, stop by and pay your respects before February.

Bob Iger can’t wait to get the Marvel characters added to the theme park environment, and WDI is running with this one since the budget is healthy and Cars Land has emboldened them to push for higher quality in these big headliner projects. The question remains whether they can keep this quickly approaching project under wraps until the 2013 D23 Expo in Anaheim next August, or if they at least announce the E Ticket this winter but hold back on the details publicly until the D23 Expo.

So, what are your thoughts?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Innoventions to finally close?

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Interesting. I would check it out, but I can't say I'm super excited as I've never seen Ironman. I know the Innoventions was not all that wonderful when we were there. It was cool to be in the space where the original Carousel of Progress rotated, but that was about it. Just like the Innoventions in WDW, there were only a few exhibits that were exceptionally interesting to me and I didn't feel bad if we skipped it when we went to DL.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Oct Wed 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Innoventions is boring, honestly. I think the only time you would want to use it is if it's a hot day you can relax in the air conditioning but other than that, I would be happy to see it go.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Yeah because they totally go apesh*t with the tinsel and garland in Adventureland and Critter Country. :D

CAD D Freak
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by CAD D Freak » Oct Sun 28, 2012 3:41 pm

I think that Innoventions is boring in all and I would be glad to see it go, but I'm not sure that replacing it with an iron man ride is the best idea.

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » Oct Sun 28, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm don't like this acquisition of Marvel and incorporating it to Disneyland. Walt is rolling in his grave.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sun 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Yeah, just like we should remove Star Tours, Indy, and Roger Rabbit. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm just not a big Marvel fan...that's ok, if people are flocking to new Marvel rides, I can go on the other attractions with less wait time :D

miraibaby
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by miraibaby » Nov Thu 08, 2012 3:36 am

Awww, really? :( That's one of my favorite places to go just to chillax during the day. My folks love it, and every time we have a family park day, we'd always go into see it. As a child, I hated it ... But now that I'm older, it's pretty cool. It's outdated, for sure, but it's still a neat piece of Disney history.

Aah well. Such is the Disney lifestyle. Keep the park changing, guests will continue to flock.

darthblixt
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by darthblixt » Apr Mon 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Innoventions is boring and stupid. Last time I went I had to sit and watch an old man try and get his remote control working to commence the exhibit. snore. Iron man could fit easily into tomorrowland, and appeal to the future generation of disney-goers

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Mon 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Well, now they are going to install a Stark Expo exhibit in it temporarily to promote the new Iron Man 3 movie but I'd love it if they kept it in.

mortimer23
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by mortimer23 » Apr Sat 13, 2013 5:18 pm

elizabethswann wrote:Well, now they are going to install a Stark Expo exhibit in it temporarily to promote the new Iron Man 3 movie but I'd love it if they kept it in.
Seems like in the parks "temporary" really means "at least 5 years", so you may get your wish

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Apr Sat 13, 2013 6:23 pm

It's almost maddening knowing all the properties that Disney has collected, and choose to do little to nothing with. I understand waiting for the Universal contract to expire for the Marvel deal, but filling exhibit halls with movie props is better than the current offerings in Innoventions. Ditto for the upcoming Star Wars movies: even static displays of props and sets would bring a lot of people indoors. If you've ever seen Comicon, you'll know how much attention life-size displays get.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sat 13, 2013 6:54 pm

If I recall, they have no limitations for DLR, hence why the marvel products were showing up in the September after the deal was signed. They are not so much letting them languish as much as they are just slow in coming up with what to do with them and they also roll them out slowly as opposed to in one big burst. Supposedly, the contract has a geographic stipulation that prohibits it WDW parks from having the characters and rides.

As for prop displays... they kind of don't work as an attraction since they aren't engaging, hence why planet Hollywood tanked so hard (that and bad food, mismanagement, etc.). Speaking of, they really need to do something about the great movie ride, when their most recent film scene is from 30 years ago, that is a problem. Even the montage at the end has only one clip/image that is just slightly under 10 years old.

UncleScrooge477
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Apr Sun 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If I recall, they have no limitations for DLR, hence why the marvel products were showing up in the September after the deal was signed. They are not so much letting them languish as much as they are just slow in coming up with what to do with them and they also roll them out slowly as opposed to in one big burst. Supposedly, the contract has a geographic stipulation that prohibits it WDW parks from having the characters and rides.

As for prop displays... they kind of don't work as an attraction since they aren't engaging, hence why planet Hollywood tanked so hard (that and bad food, mismanagement, etc.). Speaking of, they really need to do something about the great movie ride, when their most recent film scene is from 30 years ago, that is a problem. Even the montage at the end has only one clip/image that is just slightly under 10 years old.

I have to agree about the Great Movie Ride - I like the interaction and all, but a lot of it is just a snooze/nap. Seems like a lot of rides dependent upon Films (think of all the films in Epcot, for instance) never really get changed, updated, whatever. Seems odd, being that the owner of all this is known for movies. You would think they have the talent in-house to update films. Heck, let interns take a whack at it - good training, cheap labor, and if it is terrible, leave it be!
UncleScrooge477