Security Tents

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Barb D
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Security Tents

Post by Barb D » May Sun 29, 2005 7:59 pm

When did the security tents move to either end of the entrance to the parks? Last time I was there (I think 2002) it was at each park individual and at each entrance.

I like having it more central like it is now except when all you want to do is go shop in downtown not enter a park. We had to pass through security both ways from our hotel to Downtown and then again to return.

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » May Sun 29, 2005 8:31 pm

Even though they are pointless [seriously, my cargo pockets are huge and could hide a lot!] I like the new set up much better - clear sailing when park hopping this way!

I assume you stayed on the other side of the parks? Coming from the DL hotels or the parking ramps you don't have to mess with it for downtown - I can see how that could be annoying.
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

Barb D
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Barb D » May Mon 30, 2005 4:44 pm

I agree with pointless. A bad person would most certanly never have a back pack with their stuff.

Mike Pinocchio

Post by Mike Pinocchio » May Mon 30, 2005 6:23 pm

Every time I went through the tents on our last trip, I couldn't help but plan how I would smuggle weapons in if I were a terrorist. I don't think it would be that hard. I had tons of stuff in my pockets (none of it dangerous of course), and they just waved me through without a second look.

But yeah, like everybody said, the current setup is much more convenient than the old one.

bartman454
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bartman454 » May Mon 30, 2005 6:46 pm

The tents are really just their to give the illusion of security. If they really went all out in making sure that nothing got in, well it would take hours to get into the darn park. I never carry any bags with me anyway though so the tents dont bother me in the slightest, except at Epcot where they have them right up next to the turnstiles.

Jack
"This is a very moving moment"
"Yeah I wish they'd move it to Pittsburgh!"

AlexLoup
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by AlexLoup » May Mon 30, 2005 9:27 pm

I really like the whole idea... even if just going to downtown, I went through two tents for downtown, coming back with my shopping bag last year they just waved me through even though they had check my small purse earlier.
I've gone full circle on my avatars.

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » May Tue 31, 2005 1:34 am

I saw in the mouseplanet update that they finally installed permanent tables. Now, if only we can get them to add some signage with "no bag" lanes to speed the people through with no bags.

Yes, the bag check is a joke and Disney knows this too. On 05/05/05 the line to get in the park snaked out to Downtown Disney. Once the line went through the bag check area, they just completely stopped checking people's bags. This just goes to show you that when push comes to shove, they think customer service is more important than bag checks.
-Club33Hopeful

MrToad
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by MrToad » May Tue 31, 2005 1:38 am

Yeah, they do have permanent tables in the ground now, they have for a while. Sometimes the lines can get outrageous. One time I went and the line was all the back to the World of Disney store in DTD. :shock:
-Adam-

Club33Hopeful

Post by Club33Hopeful » May Tue 31, 2005 1:41 am

Time to cut through the GCH entrance to DCA if that happens!
-Club33Hopeful

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Tue 31, 2005 12:12 pm

I hate these tents. I don't carry bags but it's just annoying to have these. Like you all have said, it would be so easy to smuggle weapons in. Personally, I think it hightens terror. It makes me think that there "could" be a problem and that they need to check for weapons. I always like to think of Disneyland as a problem free zone. It's stupid and unnecessary.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

borjoyzee

Post by borjoyzee » Jun Thu 02, 2005 11:31 am

I don't carry anything at all, besides money and my ticket, stuff like that. But I really don't mind these tents, because I only go through them once and I goto disneyland every year for 2 days.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by kgmadorin » Jun Thu 02, 2005 3:43 pm

You want to see some real security? I visited the Statue of Liberty a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe the setup there.

To get into the base of the statue, you now have to pass through TWO metal detectors, remove your jacket, sweatshirt, belt, watch, shoes, and any items being carried and have them x-rayed TWICE. Just when you thought you were done, you have to pass through a machine that blows puffs of air on you (to check for explosives, maybe?).

It was amazing how things have changed since the pre-9/11 days.
"Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards--the things we live by and teach our children--are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings." -- Walter Elias Disney

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jun Thu 02, 2005 5:32 pm

when I went to NYC last August, the Statue of Liberty wasn't even open to the public yet. and it's not too surprising that the security is that tight there. I mean, the thing is almost 200 years old. we don't want to see some terrorist destroying a piece of history like that. It was bad enough once, and those things were only about 30 or 40 years old.

And, as far as the parks haviong tight security, it's not really surprising there. do you think any company wants their landmarks to be destroyed or the people who occupy said landmarks hurt/killed? I think not. They'll take the proper procedures to avoid anything happening.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Club33Hopeful

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jun Thu 02, 2005 5:43 pm

I think we have already covered that it is not really a security checkpoint and is a big joke. I have no problem with being detained for security purposes if they are going to do a good job. Looking in the diaper bag of a mother of three while all kinds of other people go thru and they do not check their pockets, that is a joke.
-Club33Hopeful

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jun Tue 07, 2005 12:04 pm

Club33Hopeful wrote:I think we have already covered that it is not really a security checkpoint and is a big joke. I have no problem with being detained for security purposes if they are going to do a good job. Looking in the diaper bag of a mother of three while all kinds of other people go thru and they do not check their pockets, that is a joke.
Yes, it' stupid and a waste of time. I should complain.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z