Dateline Disneyland

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Dateline Disneyland

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 07, 2013 8:52 pm

GeoffS wrote:I never realized they strung their lights without the bulbs, and then added them after. L-o-n-g way of doing things.
Wizzard419 wrote:They point it out every year, because that is how you get a tax deduction for new camera equipment. :D

The thing is that they only do it for that one façade, everything else is done the normal way. It does sound like the plan of someone that is an hourly contractor though. :D
Why do they do the one façade in that manner? It seems like it would be easier to go ahead and string them with the light bulbs in and replace only the burnt out ones...
Does anyone know why they beveled the stone wall facing?
I do like the Snow White grotto ~ were the little spouting fishies always there? I don't remember them...
Not looking at all good for hoping that BTMRR will be open by December ~ darn!
So they are actually moving the 33 address for Club 33? That's different, although I suppose they renumbered our street years ago and gave our address number to our neighbors, so it can happen...
Is there a list somewhere for the 13 things to look for at the HMH?
I forgot, why did they take out the Maliboomer at CA?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 9:42 pm

It might have just been a looks thing, since rounded edges look nicer than hard ones.

Considering none of the other buildings have numbers, technically the address wouldn't change... otherwise there would be another liquor license sign taped to the front center gate of DLR (they had to do this when a different division took over all food-service for DLR).

I will see if there is a guide/map like they did when Ooggie was added. Speaking of HMH, I am guessing the advent calendar is going to be the different expressions of Jack since the first two weeks have been different expressions. Also, I notice they got rid of the Ooggie topiary from the pet cemetery. That might have been gone for a few years. The exterior has been kind of a drag since they removed the Scarols and replaced the longer loop with the short 2 min music box loop.

Maliboomer was removed because it didn't fit with the re-dressing of Paradise Pier, and I think it also wasn't hugely popular.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It might have just been a looks thing, since rounded edges look nicer than hard ones.

Considering none of the other buildings have numbers, technically the address wouldn't change... otherwise there would be another liquor license sign taped to the front center gate of DLR (they had to do this when a different division took over all food-service for DLR).

I will see if there is a guide/map like they did when Ooggie was added. Speaking of HMH, I am guessing the advent calendar is going to be the different expressions of Jack since the first two weeks have been different expressions. Also, I notice they got rid of the Ooggie topiary from the pet cemetery. That might have been gone for a few years. The exterior has been kind of a drag since they removed the Scarols and replaced the longer loop with the short 2 min music box loop.

Maliboomer was removed because it didn't fit with the re-dressing of Paradise Pier, and I think it also wasn't hugely popular.
I thought maybe they had to round the edges so people don't hurt themselves if someone falls onto it...
I thought I had read somewhere that the whole reason Club 33 was named that was because each of the stores at DL had a physical address?
Neat, I had forgotten about the advent calendar! I liked the Scarols in the queue ~ I got in trouble the one time because I went to take photos of the Scarol signs and there wasn't a long line yet. A CM came over and yelled at me and told me I couldn't go wherever I liked. I didn't go around any barriers or anything, I was just in the extended portion of the queue to take a photo. Either way, it wasn't a very Disney moment :(
Ah, ok, that sounds familiar about the Maliboomer. I liked it, but I can see where it wasn't very unique to Disney.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 10:28 pm

It might have been, but masonry is still masonry, so while you might not get cut you will still get hurt if you fell.

I think all foodservice locations do have addresses, but as they are meaningless for a postal worker, they can move the door to anywhere they please.

Usually they aren't that anal about it, during the slowest times (when you use the front steps) they will allow you to take photos of various things.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 3:32 pm

I checked today, no handouts for it but they did add large notes on Jack's stationary on the former Scarol poles. It is the same note on each pole, so if you miss one you can see it elsewhere. I am not actually sure what they are counting as the surprises, there were new gift tags on various presents, the ghost train from last year's gingerbread house is back, 13 jack snowflakes are hidden in the graveyard scene, I think Oggie's beard has new bugs in it, they replaced the surprise shape in the mirrors with a 13, and Sally appears to have more gifts. They also now have a basket out with the panels they have taken off the advent calendar.

Also, good god, it was packed today. Apparently they opened at 8, I have no idea why though. The schedule for the month is all over the place too, the normally slowest day of the week is opening super early and then the next day won't open until 10.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I checked today, no handouts for it but they did add large notes on Jack's stationary on the former Scarol poles. It is the same note on each pole, so if you miss one you can see it elsewhere. I am not actually sure what they are counting as the surprises, there were new gift tags on various presents, the ghost train from last year's gingerbread house is back, 13 jack snowflakes are hidden in the graveyard scene, I think Oggie's beard has new bugs in it, they replaced the surprise shape in the mirrors with a 13, and Sally appears to have more gifts. They also now have a basket out with the panels they have taken off the advent calendar.

Also, good god, it was packed today. Apparently they opened at 8, I have no idea why though. The schedule for the month is all over the place too, the normally slowest day of the week is opening super early and then the next day won't open until 10.
Thanks! You'll have to be careful or we will start to think you care if you check on things for us ;)
Maybe they are trying to balance the crowds by messing with the schedule? Or perhaps they have some private parties or rentals going on? There must be some reason...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 8:35 pm

Oh god no, I would still push you into a wood chipper if it helped me. :D

That reminds me, I baked you something... pop into my oven.

I am not sure, there was a sign for a private event, but that could have been left over from yesterday (they sometimes forget to pick them up) and there is an AP party tomorrow night for the 13th anniversary of HMH (not going because it is only for the stuff in New Orleans Square). October gets weirdly crowded during the week, but never this bad. I am thinking the shutdown has something to do with it since there are federal workers and some government contractors who have been sent home during the shutdown.

Oh, and because I love watching the butt-hurt flow, the court of angels has closed. I am kind of surprised since construction wasn't supposedly going to start for a while. They may be doing the new lobby now and then the restaurant after the new year.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 10, 2013 7:25 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh god no, I would still push you into a wood chipper if it helped me. :D

That reminds me, I baked you something... pop into my oven.

I am not sure, there was a sign for a private event, but that could have been left over from yesterday (they sometimes forget to pick them up) and there is an AP party tomorrow night for the 13th anniversary of HMH (not going because it is only for the stuff in New Orleans Square). October gets weirdly crowded during the week, but never this bad. I am thinking the shutdown has something to do with it since there are federal workers and some government contractors who have been sent home during the shutdown.

Oh, and because I love watching the butt-hurt flow, the court of angels has closed. I am kind of surprised since construction wasn't supposedly going to start for a while. They may be doing the new lobby now and then the restaurant after the new year.
That sounds more like the Wizz we know and loathe ;)
From what I have read online, Club 33 is open through the end of the year, so you might be right that they are getting a head start on the new lobby now.
What affect would the government shutdown have on DL though? Just as an example, if it would be regarding federal inspectors, wouldn't that affect the whole park and not just certain hours?

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Oct Thu 10, 2013 11:54 am

According to what I have read, they told the members that construction was going to start on Monday 10/6 on the new lounge and lobby. That is why the lunch buffet ended. The space where they stored the buffet tables is the space that is being turned into the lounge.
-Club33Hopeful

Club33Hopeful

Post by Club33Hopeful » Oct Thu 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh, and because I love watching the butt-hurt flow, the court of angels has closed.
I find it interesting whenever they do something that people think "walt wouldn't approve" or something that takes space away from the average guest, people go ballistic. However, you remind them that the average guest has more access than ever before, and people don't want to acknowledge it. So, an very underutilized courtyard goes away from average use. Big deal. I seriously doubt access to the court of angels is what drives park business. On the flip side, just a couple years ago you could not get in to see Walt's apartment unless you were a VIP or celebrity. Now, anyone can book a tour. And for the people who say that Disney is only interested in money and doesn't care about tradition, all I have to say about that is "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" and "Main Street Cinema."
-Club33Hopeful

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 2:08 pm

It is because they have elevated the TV version of walt to the same level as jesus or tesla. They also decry any kind of cross-promotion/brand stuff done today even though Disney was heavily into pimping out the characters and the real-estate in the parks.

The shutdown wouldn't impact inspections, but it would add a whole lot of people to the pool of guests since having an AP in southern California is common. So if you have a job, but aren't allowed to go to work, you go to Disneyland. Why such specific days, I have no idea. They weren't even having a Halloween party yesterday.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Club33Hopeful wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Oh, and because I love watching the butt-hurt flow, the court of angels has closed.
I find it interesting whenever they do something that people think "walt wouldn't approve" or something that takes space away from the average guest, people go ballistic. However, you remind them that the average guest has more access than ever before, and people don't want to acknowledge it. So, an very underutilized courtyard goes away from average use. Big deal. I seriously doubt access to the court of angels is what drives park business. On the flip side, just a couple years ago you could not get in to see Walt's apartment unless you were a VIP or celebrity. Now, anyone can book a tour. And for the people who say that Disney is only interested in money and doesn't care about tradition, all I have to say about that is "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" and "Main Street Cinema."
Sadly people generally only want to complain about change and not acknowledge positive changes.
Wizzard419 wrote:It is because they have elevated the TV version of walt to the same level as jesus or tesla. They also decry any kind of cross-promotion/brand stuff done today even though Disney was heavily into pimping out the characters and the real-estate in the parks.

The shutdown wouldn't impact inspections, but it would add a whole lot of people to the pool of guests since having an AP in southern California is common. So if you have a job, but aren't allowed to go to work, you go to Disneyland. Why such specific days, I have no idea. They weren't even having a Halloween party yesterday.
Yes, I think Walt has been gone so long now that people have sort of forgotten how commercially oriented he was.
Ah-ha ~ thanks for the insight of the influx of AP holders ~ that completely makes sense. I forget there are lucky people that live nearby the parks!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Even though the many of bases are gone, there is still a huge quantity of aerospace and DoD contractors here and some of them have been sending workers home since the shutdown.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Oct Fri 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not active duty that's flooding the park - we were told to report no matter what (luckily, we're getting paid). Defense industry is still big in OC and LA county, so it would make sense that affected AP holders would spend their days filling the time at DL.

My understanding of the Club 33 address was that they gave it a number specifically because of the liquor license requirements. The license needed a specific address, and they got cute with not giving the DL address (image and marketing, I suppose). None of the rest of the numbers matter, and were added after 33. So, they could move the number to another entrance and it means nothing (and I don't think they get any mail in the club).

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 11, 2013 5:17 pm

That is part of it, but I think they also would not have been able to/wanted to establish the whole property for the license since hard liquor regulations are a lot more strict. Another reason each place that serves has their own license is that in the event there is some kind of violation (such as serving a minor), it would only suspend service at that one location and not for the entire property. There was a place by the Honda Center (when it used to be the Pond) that got caught serving minors and they had their license suspended for a month during the season and it ended up killing the place since no one would go.

Just did a quick search, the address that they give is also meaningless, the one that the health inspectors and liquor board use is: Club 33, 1400 S West Street, 2nd Floor