Carnation Plaza Swing Dancing No More?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Carnation Plaza Swing Dancing No More?

Post by wxwiz » Apr Mon 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Kind of bummed about this. I don't really dance, but my friends like to and I enjoy supporting them as well as the atmosphere there. It it was cool that it has been going on for well over 55 years since the park's beginning. Saturday nights will not be the same.
http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/04/16/dis ... t-of-park/

I'm not normally one to advertise, but please sign this petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/disneyl ... disneyland

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Carnation Plaza Swing Dancing No More?

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Mon 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Check a thread down, it's not gone just moved.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Tue 17, 2012 1:15 am

They'll move it temporarily to Downtown Disney when they do construction for the Princess Fantasy Faire thing.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Yeah, but even when the Princess Fantasy Faire thing is completed and the dancing returns (which I heard is still the plan...at least as of the D23 Expo in August 2011) it won't be the same. :( I loved going over to the gardens during the peak busy times and either catching a performance or just enjoying the castle views or people watching. Plus I liked attempting to get Tinkerbell/Dumbo pics during the fireworks (to no avail :? )...not a good spot to view the fireworks overall, but nice if you've seen them before and are looking for a different perspective.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Tue 17, 2012 12:58 pm

That's part of the reason they demolished it (took forever to get started too) dead areas do not help the park, plus it allows them to update with minimal problems.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 17, 2012 3:48 pm

That so called "dead" area has been there since the beginning...I don't think it's a "dead" area at all. You want to talk about a "dead" area in the park? Try doing something with the old Motor Boat Cruise area. I believe the last time we were there, it wasn't even a smoking area anymore. At least with the gardens area, there were performances (either the College Band or various school groups) and a place to sit and eat when everywhere else is jammed.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Tue 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Ok, so it's an old dead area, which makes it even more attractive to the wrecking ball (can't have anything make it into a historic landmark register or it gets really complicated). The problem is that it's a decent sized chunk of land and they have actual plans for it.

I'm sure the remnants of the motor boat cruise also are on the list, but they haven't found something they want yet.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Tue 17, 2012 11:04 pm

I doubt they'll do anything with the motor boat cruise area since it's now a seating area. The smoking area got moved to underneath the monorail beam right by the Matterhorn.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Tue 24, 2012 5:06 pm

This is what Dateline Disneyland posted from Al Lutz.

"There seems to be a lot of worry about all this from all the band/swing dance regulars, so let's make the following clear: The iconic dance floor and stage will remain in its original spot with the same footprint, although the tent covering and surrounding fixtures will be replaced with the medieval look shown in the WDI artwork. The stage will be used during the day for a rotating show featuring the Princesses (see above), and on weekend nights it can all revert back to swing dancing on the original travertine dance floor."