Marvel Characters In Disney Parks

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Marvel Characters In Disney Parks

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 18, 2012 8:31 pm

It looks like Disney has made it to the final, or near final, phase of the Marvel purchase. The local news is reporting that the characters from their Marvel division will soon be in the parks as a mean of appealing to boys. For the past 2 years or so they have been selling the merch and this was expected.

elizabethswann

Re: Marvel Characters In Disney Parks

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Sun 18, 2012 10:51 pm

I didn't think they'd actually go along with having the characters in the parks. They shouldn't do it in Disneyland, though, since it's better fitting to put them in Hollywood Studios. If they do it in Disneyland, they should be solely in Tomorrowland.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Mon 19, 2012 1:09 am

But they do, just put rawhide kid and kid colt in frontierland, Gambit in New Orleans Square, etc. They actually work better at DLR than DCA (sans Hollywoodland or whatever name they select). :D

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Mon 19, 2012 3:59 am

...Do not tease me with Gambit in NOS. He's my favorite X-Men character.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 19, 2012 6:23 am

I won't even know who half of the Marvel characters are :roll: If it keeps more people in a queue for a character picture and autograph and out of the attraction queue then put as many Marvel characters in the park as you want! :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 19, 2012 8:54 am

I wonder how this would work with the rights Universal Studios has in the use of these characters as well?

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Mar Mon 19, 2012 9:14 am

i would think that Disney can do whatever they want, they OWN them... they lease the name to the Studios for a hefty premium...

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 19, 2012 9:41 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:i would think that Disney can do whatever they want, they OWN them... they lease the name to the Studios for a hefty premium...
...and the question is for that price does Universal Studios get EXCLUSIVITY? Whatever deal they made with Marvel Disney is stuck with until that contract expires. Just because they now OWN the characters does not necessarily mean they can do whatever they want with them...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 19, 2012 9:59 am

mindflipper wrote:I wonder how this would work with the rights Universal Studios has in the use of these characters as well?
mindflipper wrote:
dstrawn9889 wrote:i would think that Disney can do whatever they want, they OWN them... they lease the name to the Studios for a hefty premium...
...and the question is for that price does Universal Studios get EXCLUSIVITY? Whatever deal they made with Marvel Disney is stuck with until that contract expires. Just because they now OWN the characters does not necessarily mean they can do whatever they want with them...
That's what I thought I had read before that universal will have the rights to some for a certain period of time. It will be interesting to see what happens. I personally am not a big fan of a lot of Marvel characters so their inclusion in the parks will not increase my likelihood to visit or enjoyment while I am there.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Mar Mon 19, 2012 10:29 am

i just think it gives Univershal a puckered backend to have to pay Disney for one-sixth of the Islands of Adventure Themeing... and what are they gonna theme it as, once Marvels' previous contract expires?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 19, 2012 11:08 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:i just think it gives Univershal a puckered backend to have to pay Disney for one-sixth of the Islands of Adventure Themeing... and what are they gonna theme it as, once Marvels' previous contract expires?
I'm sure Universal is working on that already. They've already dumped Ghostbusters, King Kong, Back to the Future, Hanna-Barbera, and Hitchcock and re-themed those attractions (now they're Twister, The Mummy, The Simpsons, Jimmy Neutron, and Shrek, respectively). They demolished Nickolodeon and replaced it the Blue Man Group Theatre. Universal has always been big into the re-theming.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 19, 2012 11:11 am

mindflipper wrote:
dstrawn9889 wrote:i just think it gives Univershal a puckered backend to have to pay Disney for one-sixth of the Islands of Adventure Themeing... and what are they gonna theme it as, once Marvels' previous contract expires?
I'm sure Universal is working on that already. They've already dumped Ghostbusters, King Kong, Back to the Future, Hanna-Barbera, and Hitchcock and re-themed those attractions (now they're Twister, The Mummy, The Simpsons, Jimmy Neutron, and Shrek, respectively). They demolished Nickolodeon and replaced it the Blue Man Group Theatre. Universal has always been big into the re-theming.
Yeah, it looks like they have been planning ahead...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Mon 19, 2012 12:11 pm

mindflipper wrote:I wonder how this would work with the rights Universal Studios has in the use of these characters as well?
Disney owns the use of them outright, but I am not sure what happens with the existing attractions and the park in Macau. There might have been some deal struck to keep the existing deals going but if they want to use more marvel they will have to pay.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Mon 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Universal Studios Hollywood has gotten rid of anything Marvel related in the parks since Disney bought Marvel. They had a Marvel store inside up until sometime last year or so that was just selling comics/memorabilia but that's gone now.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Mar Mon 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Judging by the lines that the Marvel characters still get at Universal's Islands of Adventure here in Orlando, I'm not surprised. Heck, even villains like Dr. Doom and (I think) Green Goblin get huge lines.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.