Big Thunder Mountain

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Do You Think Big Thunder Mountain is an Unsafe Attraction?

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 58

Denile Princess

Big Thunder Mountain

Post by Denile Princess » May Wed 11, 2005 2:29 pm

Do you think it's unsafe?

borjoyzee
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by borjoyzee » May Wed 11, 2005 2:40 pm

No, it's a rollercoaster, those type of rides are very safe indeed, yeah they may have their break downs and such, but things like that death, which on rollercoasters are very very rare.

mainly people die on coasters because they do something stupid on the ride, for this Ride I don't think that guy did anything, just one of those freak acciedent.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

jkm8113

Post by jkm8113 » May Wed 11, 2005 2:49 pm

I have always felt safe when I have ridden it in WDW. A lot more safe than some of the others look, like the ones that take you off the ground and flying thru the air.

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by kgmadorin » May Wed 11, 2005 3:19 pm

I guess "safe" is a relative term. Compared to all other roller coasters in the world, I think it's very safe, regardless of the recent accidents. As far as Disney attractions go, I think the accidents have to place it in a higher risk category.

I heard that some changes have been made to the computer software that runs the attraction, so that may fix the problem.

Any current or former BTM Cast Members around? They could probably give the best opinion.
"Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards--the things we live by and teach our children--are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings." -- Walter Elias Disney

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » May Wed 11, 2005 4:54 pm

Yeah - it is usually people doing stupid things, like get out of your car when the coaster is stopped. Nothing they can do to stop people from being dumb. The ones that do cause serious health issues [brain anurisms [sp] etc] are not engineered properly in my mind and simply trying to push the envelope and went too far. I think all of the coasters Disney runs are safe, esp. now that they are watching them closer after the problem at BTM...
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » May Thu 12, 2005 12:06 am

I would consider it safer than the other attractions. DOSH has inspected it several times over the past year and Disney cannot afford another mishap, especially on that ride.
-Club33Hopeful

COOOOLkid

Post by COOOOLkid » May Thu 12, 2005 12:18 am

I don't get why it's an "unsafe" attraction...

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » May Thu 12, 2005 6:20 am

kgmadorin wrote:I guess "safe" is a relative term. Compared to all other roller coasters in the world, I think it's very safe, regardless of the recent accidents. As far as Disney attractions go, I think the accidents have to place it in a higher risk category.
Completely agree.

kgmadorin

Post by kgmadorin » May Thu 12, 2005 7:41 am

COOOOLkid wrote:I don't get why it's an "unsafe" attraction...
There is a good write-up on the string of accidents here.
"Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards--the things we live by and teach our children--are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings." -- Walter Elias Disney

FootballGuy101
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by FootballGuy101 » May Thu 12, 2005 4:46 pm

Speaking of unsafe rides, have they opened up the Sailing Ship Colombia after the death they had a couple of years ago? I'm in college now, and can't go as often anymore seeing how I'm across the country, so I didn't know if they re-opened it for the 50th or something.
Playing tag should be permitted on Tom Sawyer's Island so the guards would stop yelling at me.

Barb D
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Barb D » May Sat 28, 2005 11:23 am

I voted No but with a qualification. I am smaller than my husbnad and many Disney rides ar elike Big Thunder. The bar doesnt come down far enough to keep me from sliding so much when we ride together. I think beign able to slide with no restraint makes that unsafe but the ride itself is ok to me. I wish they would install seperate bars or seat belts to hold the smaller of two people in place.

G2-4T

Post by G2-4T » May Sat 28, 2005 10:40 pm

The Columbia was up and running a couple weeks ago... I remember riding once where they ad-libbed the script and it was far better than the spiel on the ride. Being the first time I had ridden I thought "hmm - this is fun" only to realize later this, sadly, wasn't a normal thing. I kind of liked the version where they made the kids mop the deck!
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

borjoyzee

Post by borjoyzee » May Sun 29, 2005 12:37 am

No I don't think it is a unsafe, of course it is a old ride, so you expect more break downs and such. But saddly someone died on this ride, I say it was a freaked acciendent. But still that sux for that guy to die like that.

And also the train crashing into the station, yeah that was bad too.

Since Arrow made this ride and Arrow went out of business, I say it is hard to find the right parts for this ride, since it was manufactured(sp) from Arrow.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

bobhorn

Post by bobhorn » May Mon 30, 2005 5:33 am

I voted for "unsafe" only because safety and security are illusions that we as humans must cling to in order to keep from going mad. There I go, gettin' all philosophical and "stuff" again. Really, safety and security do not exist outside of our own minds. The more appropriate question would have been "Do you feel safe as you ride BTM?". The ride, like all other rides, is not safe, but they do do a pretty good job at making you feel safe. Of course, occasionally something happens to make you re-evaluate your definition of safety (well, it's only killed 3 people* in the last year...it's pretty safe, compared to Bagdad).

I hate posting this late...I"m tired.

*hypothetical number.

bartman454
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bartman454 » May Mon 30, 2005 6:51 pm

I think for the most part this ride is now safe, but perhaps wasnt as safe as it should have been back when the accident happened. I would attest that many of the safety things that happen these days either involve stupid guests actions or cast members who aren't in tune with what they are supposed to be doing.

Jack
"This is a very moving moment"
"Yeah I wish they'd move it to Pittsburgh!"