Big Thunder Mountain

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Do You Think Big Thunder Mountain is an Unsafe Attraction?

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 58

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Jul Thu 16, 2009 2:26 pm

I believe that this ride is safe. That doesn't mean it's idiot proofed. I'm sure if you wanted to find a way you could get hurt on, but like all the Disney rides you'd really have to work at it.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Thu 16, 2009 5:44 pm

I hit the wrong button by mistake...I believe the attraction is safe, though I admit I do get a little nervous in the spiral section

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by eagle4life69 » Jul Fri 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Just thought I would say take a look at my ride through... Looks okay to me.
http://www.disneymountainrides.com/foru ... ?f=42&t=79

michelesanchez
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by michelesanchez » Sep Mon 28, 2009 1:39 pm

I Just think of how many times a day these attractions run everyday and no accidents so i think it is pretty amazing !!!
michele:)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 29, 2009 10:43 am

Really, safety and security do not exist outside of our own minds.
You're right, the misconception of safety is all in our minds. Safety is the acceptable level of risk with an activity or condition. Each person has their own acceptable levels of risk they're willing to take. However, we can find ways to quantify it and measure it, so yes, it can exist outside our minds as well. There a lot of people who work on the safety engineering and monitoring, inside Disney and outside of Disney.

Anyway, it comes down to this: the lower the risk of hazards, the greater the perception of safety. Lowering risks requires identifying the hazards correctly, and possibly eliminating them through re-engineering or placing apporiate controls to mitigate.

The greatest misconception of safety is "100% safe." Nothing is ever 100% safe. There is some hazard to everything, but depending upon its design and controls, the question is how probable is for the design and contols to fail, creating an unsafe event? Doing whatever it is necessary to keep this probability low makes the "safety" of the ride better.

Given the history safety problems many were caused by: (1) by guests behaving in ways that are outside the accepted norm required by the park [such as getting out of a doombuggy while the ride is in motion and trying to leap to another doombuggy - there is a reason they warn you to not to get out of seat, and to keep your hand, arms, and feet inside the ride vehicle AT ALL TIMES], (2) errors in maintenance, or (3) unforseeable design flaw or material flaw. As (2) and (3) are usually unintentional errors, (1) is just plain stupidity.

hackmonkey

Post by hackmonkey » Oct Wed 07, 2009 9:26 am

Since I was a kid I have always feared the over hanging rocks and mountain landscape as a source of removing my arms and your hug the turns....(same with MH). They appear to be very close. I suppose thats why they say keeps your arms and hands inside the car at all times. Of course its likely an illusion as I wiz by them and I doubt DL would have any ride where its even feasible to smack any part of your body on a rides decor.