Advice for first DisneyLand trip

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Advice for first DisneyLand trip

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Wed 21, 2011 2:04 pm

horizons1 wrote:You might want to have lunch at the Blue Bayou, the environment is really cool and lunch is less expensive than dinner.
Blue Bayou's atmosphere is great! I definitely reccommend it. Just be prepared for insanely high prices and be sure to book a reservation as far in advance as possible. Long gone are the days when one could scurry over to the BB first thing in the AM to make same day ressies for lunch. :(

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 21, 2011 3:31 pm

BayLakeTowers wrote:Thanks for all the great advice.
I thought there was some way to watch the World of Color from the roof of the Grand Californian -- much like you can watch the MK fireworks from Bay Lake Towers - or the California Grill. Right now we think we may do the picnic lunch box thing.
I though it was odd as to which rides in DL did and did not have Fast Passes. I guess it has to do with crowd control as much as poularity of the ride.
Yeah, there are no rooftop establishments to view it from, you can sort of view it from the avalon grill but it's not a good view, and you can sort of view it from select guest rooms but there is no sound.

While they say that the show can be viewed from anywhere on the lagoon, the design of the show only presents it to the seating areas.

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Dec Wed 28, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm trying to go in late September 2012 to take advantage of the Halloween stuff and to experience Cars Land. My 4 year old son absolutely loves Cars. Hopefully I can save enough money.

This trip will be a big one since it's the first Disney trip with my wife and son, I haven't been to Disneyland since the late 80's, and haven't been to Disney World since 1999. Heck, I haven't been on an airplane since 1989. Maybe I can pick up the unofficial guide cause I have no idea what's there.
Image Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Wed 28, 2011 5:25 pm

BuDz211 wrote:I'm trying to go in late September 2012 to take advantage of the Halloween stuff and to experience Cars Land. My 4 year old son absolutely loves Cars. Hopefully I can save enough money.

This trip will be a big one since it's the first Disney trip with my wife and son, I haven't been to Disneyland since the late 80's, and haven't been to Disney World since 1999. Heck, I haven't been on an airplane since 1989. Maybe I can pick up the unofficial guide cause I have no idea what's there.
Wow ~ you've gone a long time without a Disney fix :shock: I bet your son is going to flip over Carsland!

garyman
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by garyman » Dec Wed 28, 2011 6:10 pm

I did not see it but if you stay at DLR Hotels, you get early entry or Magic Mornings, which allow you in the park 1 hour earlier than the regular guests, I think you just need to show them your room key.

Check at the lobby to be sure.

Never to old for Disney!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Wed 28, 2011 6:59 pm

garyman, your tip about the DL hotels reminded me ~ when we went there was a very small price difference in the price of a regular room at the DL hotel and a concierge level room. We more than saved the difference by eating the continental breakfast they put out each morning. They also had bottled beverages, water, juice and sodas. Plus they had various snacks throughout the day ~ although I never was back at the hotel to have those, F1gment said they were pretty tasty. They also had milk and hot beverages and cookies each night and you could watch the fireworks out the windows/doors which they slid open. The music was piped in so it was really quite a nice vantage point! I don't know if the price difference would be close anymore, that was about 8 years ago when we last went, before all the extensive remodeling.

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Dec Wed 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Amy wrote: Wow ~ you've gone a long time without a Disney fix :shock: I bet your son is going to flip over Carsland!
It certainly has been a stretch, especially since I used to go to WDW all the time in the 80's and 90's. That is a driving motivation that helped me go back to college and now start applying to law schools.

I know my son will do many flips and he will just make the height requirements for the rides there. Keeping my fingers crossed that we can do the trip.
Image Image

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Jun Tue 04, 2013 11:59 am

Hi all -

Just a couple quick questions as my trip is fast approaching and we are trying to make final arrangements...

...I'm a little confused by the Magic Mornings vs. Extra Magic Hour. We are staying at the Grand Californian and also bought our park tickets through the reservation, so are they basically the same thing? One says you get to choose one day to get into the park early and the other says that on certain days either park is open an hour early. What is the difference?

...We are lucky enough to have gotten lunch reservations at Club 33. Anyone ever gone? Do they kick you out at a certain time? Can you make it as leisurely of a meal as you want? I want to soak up every minute there!

...Any other food or ride NOT MISS recommendations?

We have roughly four days and I want to make the most of every minute! THANKS!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Tue 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Extra Magic Hours (did not know they did those here), if I recall, are time after the park closes, the Magic Mornings are before it opens. They switch between the parks each day for it.

They won't kick you out of 33 after a fixed period of time but you will be expected to order food if you are sitting at a table so hanging out for 3 hours drinking water won't fly. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Oh my goodness, you managed to get into Club 33? I'm so happy for you!

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Jun Tue 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Yeah, Wiz covered it for definitions, but the rule "usually" goes that your ticket only entitles you to one Magic Morning, so you should pick which park you'd rather visit early (hint: DL).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 05, 2013 7:22 am

GeoffS wrote:Yeah, Wiz covered it for definitions, but the rule "usually" goes that your ticket only entitles you to one Magic Morning, so you should pick which park you'd rather visit early (hint: DL).
Only one magic morning per day, or per your whole stay?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Wed 05, 2013 11:23 am

I think it might be per day, I think they also might switch on which park has no magic morning. At DLR, for example, Weds/Sun used to be the days where everyone would just have to wait until opening time.

The entire system is a little different from WDW too since the park will be open during the morning but at the end of main street there will be staff letting people in for magic mornings and character breakfasts.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I think it might be per day, I think they also might switch on which park has no magic morning. At DLR, for example, Weds/Sun used to be the days where everyone would just have to wait until opening time.

The entire system is a little different from WDW too since the park will be open during the morning but at the end of main street there will be staff letting people in for magic mornings and character breakfasts.
I remember being able to get into the park early. Some of my family ate at the Carnation Cafe on Main Street while I was down at the rope waiting to get into the park :D
From the Disney website:
Who is it for?
Registered Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests.
What is it?
Early admission, during every day of hotel stay, to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in either Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park one hour before the park opens to the general public.*
To enhance the Extra Magic Hour experience, it is strongly recommended that Guests arrive at least one hour and 15 minutes prior to regular park opening.
When is it?
The current Extra Magic Hour schedule allows registered Resort Hotel Guests access to one park on these select days:
Disneyland Park: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
Disney California Adventure Park (including access to the brand new Cars Land): Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
Requirements
For admission, each registered hotel Guest (ages 3 and older) must have a valid theme park ticket and active hotel room key card.
How do I get it?
Extra Magic Hour is available (with valid theme park ticket) for Guests who book and stay at a Disneyland Resort Hotel.

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Jun Wed 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Yes, I forgot that change for hotel guests. Some of the park hopper multi-day passes allow you to chose one day per pass, i.e. 1 day out of a three-day pass. Resort guests get every day of their stay, with the parks swapping days.