Jungle Cruise changes...

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Should the Jungle Cruise CMs be allowed to deviate from the script and ad lib?

Yes, I like it when they ad their own humor.
83%
No, I think the attraction should remain how it was intended.
17%

Total votes: 23

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Jungle Cruise changes...

Post by Club33Hopeful » May Sun 08, 2005 10:39 pm

I know this is a hot button issue, and there seems to be an equal amount on both sides of the issue. Should the Jungle Cruise CMs stick to the script they are given, or should the be allowed to ad lib? Even though I have seen it many times, I think it takes away from the attraction when they ad lib. The humor can be funny, but I think it makes for a terrible experience for someone who has never experienced it before. Thoughts?
-Club33Hopeful

bartman454
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bartman454 » May Sun 08, 2005 11:46 pm

Unless the new effects are really top notch, I think that minor ad-libs are okay, it keeps the cm happy and also lets the frequent guest know that each ride will be a little different. Now if the ad-libs get to the point of just being a stand up act then I say no, so basically its something that needs to be given a light touch.

Jack
"This is a very moving moment"
"Yeah I wish they'd move it to Pittsburgh!"

Gizmata
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Gizmata » May Mon 09, 2005 12:48 am

Personally I would like to see more dialogue overall, and a few less puns. There are plenty of cheesy effects that the continuous line of puns is just too much. If I remember right when I was young it was treated more as an adventure, with the puns telling themselves for the most part. Now its just a continuous stream of bad jokes that the poor cast member gives somewhat lifelessly.

Assuming you had intelligent and trustworthy skippers I would allow them to play the ride by ear. Depending on how certain jokes are received at the beginning of the ride they could decide how best to provide entertainment the current boat will enjoy. Not only would it make the boat happier it would provide a challenge for the cast members to provide a better product.

On the other hand the product needs to be such that it brings good memories for future generations. Though this is the debate as to what really is best. People that have never seen the Electric Light parade, Peoplemover, Bear Country, .... can't say what they see is worse, the same as if you grew up on the bad puns you don't know what a more realistic treated ride would be like.

All that really matters is that the product that the Jungle Cruise serves up is received well overall. If thats being done then its being done right, regardless if its bad jokes the whole time or a complete alternate reality (a real amazon cruise).

AlexLoup
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by AlexLoup » May Mon 09, 2005 1:39 am

If they go off of the script it's okay, just not so much as they used to. it would be nice to hear some facts about the animals from the skippers (I am a docent at my local Zoo).
I've gone full circle on my avatars.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » May Mon 09, 2005 2:03 am

I like it when the skippers go off-script a bit (not the ENTIRE ride, but parts of it).. It makes you want to go back and hear how other people do it. Always makes things interesting. Plus, it's got to be mundane just driving around the rivers for hours on end saying the same thing over and over. Going off-script a bit will help out the skippers keep their sanity...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

DisneyManInSeattle
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by DisneyManInSeattle » May Mon 09, 2005 3:14 pm

Yeah, having some sort of change/uniqueness is important to me to make return visits enjoyable. If it was the same old routine without any unique humor then I would probably only ride JC once a year.

-mark

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » May Mon 09, 2005 3:42 pm

I love the ad lib humor! :D

borjoyzee

Post by borjoyzee » May Tue 10, 2005 11:41 pm

^ same, it can be so corney but in a good way.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

Denile Princess

Jungle

Post by Denile Princess » May Wed 11, 2005 2:23 pm

I am a skipper on the Jungle Cruise, and I can testify that there is just as much controversy on this topic among skippers. I'm one of the skips that thinks that the attraction should remain as Disney intended it, however, the skipper should be allowed to personalize their spiel, as long as it follows guidelines.

jkm8113

Post by jkm8113 » May Wed 11, 2005 3:05 pm

I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other. I always enjoy the ride, even if there some differences in the spiel.

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » May Wed 11, 2005 6:47 pm

jkm8113 wrote:I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other. I always enjoy the ride, even if there some differences in the spiel.
That's pretty much how I feel. When I think about going on the Jungle Cruise, I don't think about the spiel or whatever. I'll go on it regardless. But then I don't go on it too often...
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

kronk's angel

Post by kronk's angel » May Thu 12, 2005 3:50 am

Didn't Robin Williams work as a skipper, sort of introducing many jokes into the spiel? And got fired for it?

I thought I remembered something about him feeling some relief when he got hired as the Genie because he was still bummed about getting fired...???
No, no... He's got a point.

FootballGuy101
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by FootballGuy101 » May Thu 12, 2005 9:09 pm

Don't know anything about Robin Williams working there, don't really know how you're going to find that out either...but anyway. I've heard many a joke upon that ride that I can only believe were extempor (ie. the poke Ahontas one, which had to have come out after the movie). Anyway, they're fun and it helps mix it up for the regulars (as someone already mentioned) while keeping them entertained as well.
Playing tag should be permitted on Tom Sawyer's Island so the guards would stop yelling at me.

kronk's angel

Post by kronk's angel » May Fri 13, 2005 6:08 am

Found it! Here's a highlighted link: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:4tDn ... s%22&hl=en

I'm still hoping for a movie based on Jungle Cruise!
No, no... He's got a point.

FootballGuy101

Post by FootballGuy101 » May Fri 13, 2005 11:19 am

Well, it is my understanding, ( I think I got this from Disneyland.com when they had the ride facts up) but I'm pretty sure that the ride itself was based upon the African Queen.
Playing tag should be permitted on Tom Sawyer's Island so the guards would stop yelling at me.