Which ride would you be nervous showing a first timer to DLR

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Which ride would you be most nervous showing a first timer to DLR?

Its a Small World
11%
Tiki room
No votes
Captain EO
67%
any of the Fantasy Land rides
No votes
In the comments
22%

Total votes: 9

Sparten
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Which ride would you be nervous showing a first timer to DLR

Post by Sparten » Aug Mon 15, 2011 2:13 am

I thought of this because I just recently took two of my 17 year old friends to DLR for the first time and I though will splash Mt. make any sense to them if they havent seen Song of the South? and what about small world? its a must and yet still scary. :shock: and we cant forget the Tiki room now can we.

If your answer is I wouldn't take a first timer on any of these rides than what if you had to choose one?
"Here you leave the world of today, and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." Walt Disney
"Now this tale didn't happen yesterday or the day before. It happened long long ago." Uncle Remus
"Is it a bad thing to have fun?" Me :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Which ride would you be nervous showing a first timer to

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 15, 2011 6:15 am

Fun question Sparten. I suppose if I had to choose I would say Captain EO, just because it is so strange :shock:
What did your friends think of all the different attractions?!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Mon 15, 2011 8:59 am

It depends upon the "first timer". For those who have different religious or cultural beliefs concerning the dead, the Haunted Mansion may be that ride as it could be possibly offensive by the portrayal of the afterlife...

Sparten
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Sparten » Aug Mon 15, 2011 10:21 am

mindflipper wrote:It depends upon the "first timer". For those who have different religious or cultural beliefs concerning the dead, the Haunted Mansion may be that ride as it could be possibly offensive by the portrayal of the afterlife...
I would agree with the HM. I didnt take my friends on the HM just because of that but still I ride that ride for the special effects alone, but the occasional grim grinning ghosts is still lots of fun.
"Here you leave the world of today, and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." Walt Disney
"Now this tale didn't happen yesterday or the day before. It happened long long ago." Uncle Remus

Sparten
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Sparten » Aug Mon 15, 2011 10:29 am

Amy wrote:Fun question Sparten. I suppose if I had to choose I would say Captain EO, just because it is so strange :shock:
sadly enough I had to speed run Disney land with them, because they had only one day and they showed up late :? so we didnt get to do Captain EO but from reactions to say... the Tiki room from them were flat out hilarious! The entire show they were facepalming and giving me mean glares that actually looked something like this without the horns :evil: The best part was that as soon as it looked like it was ending they darted out the door and wouldn't look at me till we were in front of Indie! :lol:
I was actually surprised how well they took Its such a waste/ Its a small world I actually had a headache (no joke!) after exiting the building they were still laughing :? The one ride they had a great time on but was confusing to them was Splash Mt. but it turned into one of their favorites. The response to Mr. Toad was simply "Why?"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 15, 2011 6:24 pm

Sparten wrote:
Amy wrote:Fun question Sparten. I suppose if I had to choose I would say Captain EO, just because it is so strange :shock:
sadly enough I had to speed run Disney land with them, because they had only one day and they showed up late :? so we didnt get to do Captain EO but from reactions to say... the Tiki room from them were flat out hilarious! The entire show they were facepalming and giving me mean glares that actually looked something like this without the horns :evil: The best part was that as soon as it looked like it was ending they darted out the door and wouldn't look at me till we were in front of Indie! :lol:
I was actually surprised how well they took Its such a waste/ Its a small world I actually had a headache (no joke!) after exiting the building they were still laughing :? The one ride they had a great time on but was confusing to them was Splash Mt. but it turned into one of their favorites. The response to Mr. Toad was simply "Why?"
Interesting! I imagine some of the attractions might seem strange to someone that is unfamiliar with the back-stories. I know I enjoyed the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse a lot more after I read the book, and then even more after I had seen the movie. Mr. Toad would be a weird one without knowing the book. That's great that they liked It's a Small World though :D Teenagers would be a tougher audience than kids that are much younger or even people in their mid-twenties!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Mon 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Very few Disney adaptations ever resemble the original literary work, but it really doesn't matter in this day and age as most kids have never seen the original literary work so they think that the Disney version is the original and the book is "movie novelization".

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 15, 2011 6:52 pm

mindflipper wrote:Very few Disney adaptations ever resemble the original literary work, but it really doesn't matter in this day and age as most kids have never seen the original literary work so they think that the Disney version is the original and the book is "movie novelization".
Sad but true. One of my piano students was finishing up his 2 reports that he had to do for AP English over the summer. He said he liked one but not the other. I asked which he liked better and why. His answer was the one he liked was shorter :roll:

Sparten
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Sparten » Aug Tue 16, 2011 2:18 am

Amy wrote:
Sparten wrote:
Interesting! I imagine some of the attractions might seem strange to someone that is unfamiliar with the back-stories. I know I enjoyed the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse a lot more after I read the book, and then even more after I had seen the movie. Mr. Toad would be a weird one without knowing the book. That's great that they liked It's a Small World though :D Teenagers would be a tougher audience than kids that are much younger or even people in their mid-twenties!
Although I did say they took Its such a waste better, doesnt mean they actually like it at all either :lol:. The story with Mr. Toad was that they kept on trying to compare it to wind in the willows! dont ask me why they did but... they did :?

If you can keep a secrete I dont actually mind the song to much its all the Crazy dolls staring at you with evil smiles :shock:

Sparten
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Sparten » Aug Tue 16, 2011 2:21 am

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Very few Disney adaptations ever resemble the original literary work, but it really doesn't matter in this day and age as most kids have never seen the original literary work so they think that the Disney version is the original and the book is "movie novelization".
Sad but true. One of my piano students was finishing up his 2 reports that he had to do for AP English over the summer. He said he liked one but not the other. I asked which he liked better and why. His answer was the one he liked was shorter :roll:
Most kids nowadays just look for the shortest easiest solution, which really bothers me because think who they will turn into when they start getting jobs. what if one becomes an engineer? bad things would happen if that were the case.

jenvoycharming
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by jenvoycharming » Aug Fri 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Sparten wrote:I thought of this because I just recently took two of my 17 year old friends to DLR for the first time and I though will splash Mt. make any sense to them if they havent seen Song of the South? and what about small world? its a must and yet still scary. :shock: and we cant forget the Tiki room now can we.

If your answer is I wouldn't take a first timer on any of these rides than what if you had to choose one?
I agree with Splash! I went with my boyfriend (now hubby) a few years ago. He hadn't been since he was 10! That in and of itself was insane to me! But anyway...out of all the rides I was somewhat reluctant to take him on Splash. He was such a scaredy cat! The ride was sort of misleading...seemed so bright, cheerful and cutesy and then once he saw Mama rabbit singing to her babies, and the vultures he was done! I had to comfort my 33 year old boyfriend..."It's okay honey!" LOL!

Surprisingly, he enjoyed "It's a small world." Go figure! :mickey:
"When you wish upon a star..."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 19, 2011 7:01 pm

jenvoycharming wrote:...Surprisingly, he enjoyed "It's a small world." Go figure! :mickey:
The man's got good taste! Good thing you married him :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Fri 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Amy wrote:
jenvoycharming wrote:...Surprisingly, he enjoyed "It's a small world." Go figure! :mickey:
The man's got good taste! Good thing you married him :D
...or perhaps he's a really good husband and learned wisely the art of diplomacy quite early... :wink: :mrgreen:

Tigger Fan
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Tigger Fan » Oct Sat 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Why I voted for EO,
Captain EO is better now with the enhanced effects from when it was in the park the first time but to me it is geared towards teens and young adults. I just don't think Walt would have ever done a show like that. I won't miss it when they close it down.

wwwalsh
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by wwwalsh » Jan Wed 18, 2012 6:22 pm

The only answer is the Autopia :-)

I'd hate for my first timer to think they just paid $100 bucks to ride around on a track through an uninspired backdrop in cars from the 80s.