Bye Bye Mission Tortilla?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Bye Bye Mission Tortilla?

Post by elizabethswann » May Sun 29, 2011 1:16 am

My mom told me that DCA is getting rid of the Mission Tortilla factory and replacing it with a Ghiradelli Chocolate factory. I tried searching on google about what the situation is but haven't found anything. I will keep an eye out for anything! But what are your thoughts on this?

http://www.mousewait.com/disneyland/lan ... n-tortilla

Wizzard419

Re: Bye Bye Mission Tortilla?

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sun 29, 2011 2:07 am

Looks like the only note of it is on Yelp (noting that tuesday is the end). The theory is that they lease the spots (like with Jewel D'Orleans which is now being brought back to the previous state as a fragrance shop). I wonder if Boudin will pack up too? They already have another location in Costa Mesa. Other than people who want to eat free tortillas, there really wasn't much going on there (and for those that want to chime in "but they are so fresh!" you can always go to any number of tortillerias in So Cal. since mexican places need them all the time. :D)

Perhaps they will just take the old equipment from the Ghiradelli place in the nearby mall and put it there. :D

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » May Sun 29, 2011 5:43 am

I hope Boudin stays because I get my soup there at DCA and I love the bakery tour because of Colin Mochrie.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 29, 2011 6:19 am

elizabethswann wrote:I hope Boudin stays because I get my soup there at DCA and I love the bakery tour because of Colin Mochrie.
Mission Tortilla will be missed by me only because of the free tortilla sample. The rest of the attraction I could do without ~ those little "Maseca" children ~ bleh!
Mousekedittos on the Boudin attraction though. I really enjoy that whole tour. Rosie and Colin do a great job with a really cute script :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sun 29, 2011 12:52 pm

I don't think Boudin actually runs the cafe (or at least anymore), they only use the bread from them.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 30, 2011 8:13 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I don't think Boudin actually runs the cafe (or at least anymore), they only use the bread from them.
Did they actually ever run it? Or did they simply sponsor the attraction?
Either way, any confirmation on Mission Tortilla leaving DCA?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Mon 30, 2011 11:37 am

Wait till weds I guess...

I think Boudin at most sponsored enough to get the logo put on the bread display. I wonder if they didn't pay nearly as much (or anything) for their factory in exchange for supplying bread to the resort? If you go during the day you can see their truck pulls up and they load a bunch of bread in. Either that or they use it as their second secure factory for the costa mesa location.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Mon 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Amy wrote:
elizabethswann wrote:I hope Boudin stays because I get my soup there at DCA and I love the bakery tour because of Colin Mochrie.
Mission Tortilla will be missed by me only because of the free tortilla sample. The rest of the attraction I could do without ~ those little "Maseca" children ~ bleh!
Mousekedittos on the Boudin attraction though. I really enjoy that whole tour. Rosie and Colin do a great job with a really cute script :D
I love, love, love the Boudin tour with Colin and Rosie. But I'm also quite fond of the Mission Tortilla factory. I may be in the minority here, but I also really like the movie with the 3 kids.
(Psst....hint, hint....anyone got audio that can be uploaded to the site?)
As great as Ghirardelli is, I'm sad to see the Tortilla factory go. Though it's in an awkward spot now that the restaurant is no longer attached to it. So, does this mean Lucky Fortune Cookery will be saying farewell again?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 30, 2011 8:28 pm

MmeLeota wrote:...As great as Ghirardelli is, I'm sad to see the Tortilla factory go. Though it's in an awkward spot now that the restaurant is no longer attached to it. So, does this mean Lucky Fortune Cookery will be saying farewell again?
Didn't they just refurb the Lucky Fortune Cookery not too long ago?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Mon 30, 2011 8:33 pm

As long as it's popular enough it can stay, it's not tied to any external company.

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » May Mon 30, 2011 11:34 pm

No Bueno if true. Love the fresh warm tortillas.

Vieux Carre
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by Vieux Carre » Jun Sat 11, 2011 5:38 pm

I hope that their lease is not coming up and if it is I wish they would renew. The warm flour tortillas are amazing. But Disney has the ability to extract a substantial premium from its partners. Perhaps it is just not viable for Mission given the economy and perhaps Disney has other partners waiting in line. Will definitely miss those tortillas if this is true.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 11, 2011 5:42 pm

They are already gone, it was confimed by someone who went this week.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Vieux Carre wrote:I hope that their lease is not coming up and if it is I wish they would renew. The warm flour tortillas are amazing. But Disney has the ability to extract a substantial premium from its partners. Perhaps it is just not viable for Mission given the economy and perhaps Disney has other partners waiting in line. Will definitely miss those tortillas if this is true.
Wizzard419 wrote:They are already gone, it was confimed by someone who went this week.
Yup, unfortunately Vieux Carre, Mission Tortilla has joined the cast of past attractions, but at least you will have Ghiradelli to look forward to...

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jun Sun 12, 2011 2:54 am

I do hope that for birthdays they will give out a free box of chocolates or something.