Blue Bayou

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Blue Bayou

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Wed 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Ok, needed to catch up for the week I was out sick, so I had to have a lunch meeting with a few people over at DTD. So anyway I checked over in the park and the menu out front does not note the extra plate fee but at the same time it isn't the full menu (I think).

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:00 pm

I just saw this on the parks blog, the famed Monte Cristo... SIGN ME UP guys... this looks/sounds pretty darn good... and I'm not a big fan of swiss cheese.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 18, 2011 7:26 am

The ham, turkey and swiss part sounds good, but the deep frying and powdered sugar over the whole thing just seems a little off. I guess I would have to try it before I would judge it too harshly...

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Feb Fri 18, 2011 9:23 am

Ah, the Monte Cristo is pure culinary magic! My husband and I went to the Blue Bayou last weekend and did split our Monte Cristo without the extra fee. When our waitress asked what I wanted for an appetizer (gumbo or salad), I told her we were sharing. She didn't mention the fee, but the waitress at the next table did...maybe we were just lucky? The savings did convince us to splurge on a creme brulee dessert. My husband almost cried because it was so wonderful!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Fri 18, 2011 11:20 am

Esmeralda wrote:Ah, the Monte Cristo is pure culinary magic! My husband and I went to the Blue Bayou last weekend and did split our Monte Cristo without the extra fee. When our waitress asked what I wanted for an appetizer (gumbo or salad), I told her we were sharing. She didn't mention the fee, but the waitress at the next table did...maybe we were just lucky? The savings did convince us to splurge on a creme brulee dessert. My husband almost cried because it was so wonderful!
Glad you had a good time! Personally, I loved the gumbo there when I had it. The advantage in splitting sometimes is that it allows room for dessert, so they still get the $$$/table they want.

I would like to try it, but I really am not that big on cheese. Wonder if they would do it without the cheese?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 18, 2011 12:16 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Esmeralda wrote:Ah, the Monte Cristo is pure culinary magic! My husband and I went to the Blue Bayou last weekend and did split our Monte Cristo without the extra fee. When our waitress asked what I wanted for an appetizer (gumbo or salad), I told her we were sharing. She didn't mention the fee, but the waitress at the next table did...maybe we were just lucky? The savings did convince us to splurge on a creme brulee dessert. My husband almost cried because it was so wonderful!
Glad you had a good time! Personally, I loved the gumbo there when I had it. The advantage in splitting sometimes is that it allows room for dessert, so they still get the $$$/table they want.

I would like to try it, but I really am not that big on cheese. Wonder if they would do it without the cheese?
I bet they would accommodate a request for no cheese...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Fri 18, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm going to say they probably wouldn't since the cheese is what keeps it together in the fryer.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Fri 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Josh Q wrote:
garyman wrote:We are going in March and this time will skip the BB. The weather should be nice. May end of at Zocola one night. Then maybe Cafe Orleans

:hm_ghost: :hatter_bounce:

Great choices! Monte Cristo with some Pommes Frites at the Cafe Orleans is one awesome meal!
Cheers to that!!!! It's what hubby and I usually do...

NaCler....true to form, you have once again caused mayhem-by posting that pic. I am now salivating for a Monte Cristo that only DL can make. (I'm not a fan of swiss cheese either, but it's perfect in the sandwich)

Amy-With the richness of the batter and the cheese, the powdered sugar and blackberry(?) jam it is served with are perfect complements to the sandwich. They do not add too much sweetness, but just enough to help cut the richness of the sandwich.

When we discovered the three cheese variety at Cafe Orleans, I was hesitant because I wasn't a fan of the cheeses used (mainly the brie). But once I tried it....OMG!!!! I was mousekehooked!!!! :mrgreen:
Talk about heart attack central... :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 18, 2011 7:52 pm

MmeLeota wrote:...NaCler....true to form, you have once again caused mayhem-by posting that pic. I am now salivating for a Monte Cristo that only DL can make. (I'm not a fan of swiss cheese either, but it's perfect in the sandwich)
Amy-With the richness of the batter and the cheese, the powdered sugar and blackberry(?) jam it is served with are perfect complements to the sandwich. They do not add too much sweetness, but just enough to help cut the richness of the sandwich.
When we discovered the three cheese variety at Cafe Orleans, I was hesitant because I wasn't a fan of the cheeses used (mainly the brie). But once I tried it....OMG!!!! I was mousekehooked!!!! :mrgreen:
Talk about heart attack central... :shock:
Sounds like we have a new subictionary entry...

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Sat 19, 2011 12:43 am

I never liked swiss cheese to begin with but once I tried the Monte Cristo (I've had both versions), I fell in love.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sat 19, 2011 1:08 am

Most cheeses that people find too harsh/sharp a flavor when cold usually lose a lot of that when heated since a lot of those scents and flavors are volitive and end up dispersing in the high heat.

metark
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by metark » Feb Sat 19, 2011 10:54 am

We were there a few weeks ago and also did not get charged a splitting fee. What we were told was that when you have a meal split, they will split the main course but each plate will include an order of the veggies (such as their famous amazing potatoes), fruit or other sides that normally come with it. Since we didn't need that much of the sides, they actually just brought the food on one plate and gave us an extra plate. We did the splitting ourselves, no extra sides and saved the $12. Come to think of it, we also used the savings on the creme brulee...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sat 19, 2011 2:50 pm

metark wrote:
We were there a few weeks ago and also did not get charged a splitting fee. What we were told was that when you have a meal split, they will split the main course but each plate will include an order of the veggies (such as their famous amazing potatoes), fruit or other sides that normally come with it. Since we didn't need that much of the sides, they actually just brought the food on one plate and gave us an extra plate. We did the splitting ourselves, no extra sides and saved the $12. Come to think of it, we also used the savings on the creme brulee...
That makes sense, if they are giving you extra sides to charge a plate splitting fee. That is very nice that they allow you to split it yourself with no extra fee! My Mom and I would likely want to do the same thing ~ and then have a dessert like y'all did :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sat 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Well the extra sides and whatnot are part of the plate splitting fee in most places, otherwise patrons would really riot. Hopefully you tipped like each of you had an entree since the servers still had to cater to everyone at the table.

metark
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by metark » Feb Sun 20, 2011 4:19 pm

I agree we do want to take care of the servers. They have to do just about the same amount of work either way.

One other thing I forgot to mention from an earlier part of this thread, I know the Monte Cristo is a bit more than you would pay at other places outside the parks but when you think about just how great it is to be sitting in the middle of the Pirates ride in the heart of Disneyland, the difference in price is something I'm ok with paying. In other words, it's worth it to me to pay a little more to be at the Blue Bayou. For us, it's a special place with special memories whenever we are there.