Disneyland stops hosting pardoned turkey

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Disneyland stops hosting pardoned turkey

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Mon 22, 2010 12:56 pm

This year’s president-pardoned turkey won’t be the Happiest Turkey on Earth.

After five years, Disney has decided to stop housing the National Thanksgiving Turkey and an understudy after they are pardoned by the president. Following the traditional ceremony, an official turkey has served as the grand marshal in a Thanksgiving parade and then lived at Disney parks since 2005.

“It’s been a wonderful partnership. We’ve had a lot of fun doing it. We’re just not continuing with that,” said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

The turkey event started as part of Disneyland’s 50th anniversary celebration, when the bird was called the Happiest Turkey on Earth. Disney continued the festivities. Disneyland hosted the official turkeys in all but one year — 2007 when the birds went to Walt Disney World in Florida. See slideshow of the 2009 Thanksgiving birds above.

The rest is found at the article http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2010/11/ ... key/61814/

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disneyland stops hosting pardoned turkey

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 22, 2010 1:08 pm

I think people got concerned those turkeys were ending up as those turkey legs being sold in Fronteirland at MK! :wink: :lol:

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Mon 22, 2010 1:09 pm

mindflipper wrote:I think people got concerned those turkeys were ending up as those turkey legs being sold in Fronteirland at MK! :wink: :lol:
That was my first thought, too! :lol: :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Mon 22, 2010 6:04 pm

mindflipper wrote:I think people got concerned those turkeys were ending up as those turkey legs being sold in Fronteirland at MK! :wink: :lol:
Ah-ha-ha-ha! I wonder if there is a specific reason. I wouldn't think it would cost too much to feed 2 additional turkeys each year...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Mon 22, 2010 6:09 pm

I didn't even realize they hosted new ones each year. I just figured they had the one and that was it. That might have also been a reason, no one really knew, cared, etc. and while it wasn't expensive they may have wanted to just cut it off before having to expand the turkey pen.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Mon 22, 2010 8:58 pm

It's going to be a little disheartening to walk past the turkey pen and see no turkey.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Nov Mon 29, 2010 8:38 pm

Really, kind of hypocritical with the turkey legs being such a big concession seller. If I had thought of it sooner, I would have my picture taken eating a leg in front of the pen.