Man falls 25 feet from ride line at Disney park

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Man falls 25 feet from ride line at Disney park

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Thu 19, 2010 1:14 pm

(CNN) -- A 20-year-old man waiting in line for a ride at Disney's California Adventure Park fell 25 to 30 feet Wednesday night, Anaheim police spokesman Sgt. Rick Martinez said Thursday.

The man was in the building housing the queue for the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, when he put his leg over the railing and fell, Martinez said.

"The guest was standing in line with friends on a second-floor platform when he climbed over a barrier to the area below and lost his balance and fell approximately 25 feet," Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown said in a statement.

Paramedics on site treated the man, Martinez said. A dispatcher for Metro Cities Fire Authority, which serves seven Orange County cities, said the man was brought to University of California Irvine Medical Center.

"The guest was transported by ambulance to the hospital. We understand his injuries were minor and he has been treated and released," Brown said.

The incident happened around 10:30 p.m., the Metro Cities dispatcher said. It caused Disney to shut down the ride briefly while paramedics attended to the fallen park-goer, Martinez said, adding that the ride reopened soon thereafter.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is a ride that brings visitors to the top of an elevator shaft, then drops them. The Disneyland website says, "Join thrill-seekers at the mysterious Hollywood Tower Hotel for the ultimate adrenaline rush. For the longest 2 minutes of your life, rise and fall at terrifying speeds in the hotel's haunted elevator."

The California Adventure Park is adjacent to Disneyland in Anaheim.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Man falls 25 feet from ride line at Disney park

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 19, 2010 2:29 pm

I didn't even know there was a second story to the queue! I'm glad he is ok but I hope this doesn't close down ToT while they idiot proof the line :roll:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Thu 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Amy wrote:I didn't even know there was a second story to the queue! I'm glad he is ok but I hope this doesn't close down ToT while they idiot proof the line :roll:
You can't IDIOT proof anything!! They'll just make better IDIOTS!!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Thu 19, 2010 5:46 pm

There is a reason why Disney tells you to not climb on the railings. I do fear that they might install netting to prevent people from falling in the future.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Thu 19, 2010 7:47 pm

My grandmother mentioned this to me today. There is a second story of the queue but only one of the library rooms lead to the stairs. What baffles me is WHY he bothered to try and climb over the railing. If he wanted to get out of line, all he had to do was ask a cast member for the nearest exit.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Aug Thu 19, 2010 9:01 pm

All I'll say is "&$*#*^% *#&%&%*( &$^^$ !^%*(# %^$#*# ^%$*#$^@(@&%$^#)@ IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Thu 19, 2010 9:21 pm

MadEye wrote:All I'll say is "&$*#*^% *#&%&%*( &$^^$ !^%*(# %^$#*# ^%$*#$^@(@&%$^#)@ IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Now, now...let's be more tolerant. Sometimes good people do stupid things. I won't think he's an idiot until I hear about the lawsuit in the press.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Thu 19, 2010 11:07 pm

I'm just waiting on the reason to why this all happened then I'll wait to judge.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Fri 20, 2010 8:49 am

mindflipper wrote: I won't think he's an idiot until I hear about the lawsuit in the press.
He is an idiot and a moron, and darn lucky something worse did not happen.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Aug Fri 20, 2010 11:51 am

mindflipper wrote:Now, now...let's be more tolerant. Sometimes good people do stupid things. I won't think he's an idiot until I hear about the lawsuit in the press.
elizabethswann wrote:I'm just waiting on the reason to why this all happened then I'll wait to judge.
When you've told so many people to not do anything to the handrails but lean on them, you'll understand. If he was leaning against the railing and it gave way, then my apologies, but I guarantee it happened because he wasn't being safe. Why people don't realize that those are handrails, not chairs or playground equipment is beyond me.

Edit: Did a search and this report (and others) say the guy put his leg over the railing and lost his balance. Like I said: IDIOT...
― Dr. Seuss

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Fri 20, 2010 12:35 pm

MadEye wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Now, now...let's be more tolerant. Sometimes good people do stupid things. I won't think he's an idiot until I hear about the lawsuit in the press.
elizabethswann wrote:I'm just waiting on the reason to why this all happened then I'll wait to judge.
When you've told so many people to not do anything to the handrails but lean on them, you'll understand. If he was leaning against the railing and it gave way, then my apologies, but I guarantee it happened because he wasn't being safe. Why people don't realize that those are handrails, not chairs or playground equipment is beyond me.

Edit: Did a search and this report (and others) say the guy put his leg over the railing and lost his balance. Like I said: IDIOT...
I couldn't agree more MadEye!!! I've been in that position as well, and it has made me dislike the general public for life! You can tell someone until you're blue in the face and they don't listen. Then when they get hurt, it's your fault...ugh! :roll:

I found this tidbit this morning: "Police Sgt. Rick Martinez says the man was with friends when he put a leg over the railing, joked about the chance of someone falling over — then lost his balance and fell.

Martinez says there are some indications that the man had been drinking." http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news- ... -Adventure

This article states that the man's age...A 20-year-old man fell last night while waiting in line for The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ride, billed by Disneyland as a haunted elevator ride through a formerly elegant hotel.
http://www.thirdage.com/news/tower-terr ... _8-19-2010

:roll:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Fri 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Hold on!! 20 and drinking? (In my best Ricky Richardo) Some one has some splanin to do!!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Fri 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Hold on!! 20 and drinking? (In my best Ricky Richardo) Some one has some splanin to do!!
My thoughts exactly...of course, I am trying to wait and see if any further details come out before jumping to any conclusions, but the guy is still a few fries short of a happy meal for trying to jump over the rail!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Fri 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Hold on!! 20 and drinking? (In my best Ricky Richardo) Some one has some splanin to do!!
I hope they add underaged drinking to the arrest for that. I even tell my sisters to stop sitting on handrails, chains, railings, etc. not only because the cast members tell us not to but to prevent an accident like this.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Aug Fri 20, 2010 7:22 pm

elizabethswann wrote:I even tell my sisters to stop sitting on handrails, chains, railings, etc. not only because the cast members tell us not to but to prevent an accident like this.
Not to mention all the butts from people sitting on them you'd (technically) be touching. That and all the sneezed on, coughed on, nose/butt picked hands and even some kids mouths that touch those railings. I don't even lean on them anymore.
― Dr. Seuss