Alice in Wonderland attraction

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Alice in Wonderland attraction

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Mon 19, 2010 9:45 pm

I just saw this via Twitter and I looked up the article. Apparently the Alice attraction has been closed for the past 4 days. We were going to go on it last Tuesday...3 days before the closure.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=716

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Re: Alice in Wonderland attraction

Post by momeja » Jul Mon 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Somehow, I'm not surprised. Last winter, after years of giving away rice candy animals, Miyuki at WDW was told she couldn't give her creations away anymore. They weren't sanitary enough... I'm almost a lawyer, and I like most lawyers, but the ones in liability always drive me crazy.
Last edited by momeja on Jul Tue 20, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 20, 2010 1:18 am

That is really a shame. I remember that attraction from 2001 and really wished that they had something like that in WDW. I do hope that Disney can get it opened again in a timely fashion and if they need to install safety railings then install something similar to the ones on Buzz. Let them pop up in the event of an emergency. There should be no need for railings if the ride is operating normally and you are sitting in the vehicle. It is really amazing how some lawyers can find these little things and make a comfortable living off of this...
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Tue 20, 2010 3:56 am

Oh wow, I didn't even realize they closed it. I hope they will be able to fix whatever problems that are going on so they can open it back up soon. I really liked that ride.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 20, 2010 5:52 am

Oh, this is sad :( This was the cutest little ride...maybe they can use some of the technology from the Star Tours ride and put up some sort of invisible force shield beams ;)
I do hope they get this fixed without completely ruining the aesthetics of the ride...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Wed 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Amy wrote:Oh, this is sad :( This was the cutest little ride...maybe they can use some of the technology from the Star Tours ride and put up some sort of invisible force shield beams ;)
I do hope they get this fixed without completely ruining the aesthetics of the ride...
Me too! It's the best part of the ride! :ccat: :hatter_bounce:

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Thu 22, 2010 2:56 am

It makes me wonder why they bothered to tend to this situation NOW instead of back then when the ride was still new.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Thu 22, 2010 8:46 am

You and me both Ms. Swann! It just goes to show how sue-happy this country has become. It's so sad...

I found an update on the closure...
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0 ... 4659.story

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks for the article MmeLeota. It seems like the workers have managed not to fall off the attraction for the past 55 years with no incidents. But, I suppose everyone should be safe...even if it means detracting a bit from the show...

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Thu 22, 2010 6:01 pm

True that, Amy. It makes zero sense why they bothered to make a big deal about this now. They could have spoken up before when the ride first came out but safety first even if it makes the ride more tacky looking.

garyman
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by garyman » Jul Fri 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Yes, it is too bad. The ride has operated for many years with no real problems or people falling off the leafs when the ride was shut down. I understand the concern for safety. But at some point one needs to draw the line and make sure people learn to take care of themselves when problems arise.

I assume they will get something in place soon. It may be temporary until a more permanent and asthetically pleasing design can be devleoped. This has been in the works for years and so far nothing was liked by the designers.

Never to old for Disney!

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Fri 23, 2010 5:20 pm

After reading this thread, I decided to watch a video of the Alice attraction and I honestly have no clue what portion of the ride they think is dangerous. Help, please?
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Fri 23, 2010 5:43 pm

From my understanding, it is the part of the ride where your go outside from one side of the show building into the other. I think the safety concern is for the maintenance workers since there is nothing to protect you from the ledge (and the track where the workers would be fixing things is not far from the ledge).

If I am misunderstanding this, please let me know...it's the only part I can think of where there would be a question of safety. (of course I still don't understand why now, after 50 years, they seem to think it's a problem)

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Fri 23, 2010 7:36 pm

I think you are right, MmeLeota. That's about the only place I know that looks "dangerous". It does give off a little bit of a jerky feeling with the way the caterpillar moves so that could be the reason.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Sat 24, 2010 11:17 am

The LA Times article says they are installing scaffolding or barriers. I was thinking if they are just worried about worker safety they could install some sort of retractable railing that could be out of site during normal operation. But I bet what we'll end up with is some sort of curvy metal railing shaped like flowers.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.