Of the three major resorts on Disneyland property,

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Your choice if you were to stay at DL for a week.

Disneyland Hotel
24%
Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa
76%
Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
No votes

Total votes: 21

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Of the three major resorts on Disneyland property,

Post by MadEye » Jul Sat 17, 2010 9:24 pm

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine and he said the last time he went to DL, he used the CM discount on one of the DL resorts. I figured I'd post a poll and see what everyone's choice would be if they were to have a week long trip planned.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Of the three major resorts on Disneyland property,

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 17, 2010 10:02 pm

We've stayed at the DL Hotel a few times, actually on the concierge level since for a small fee over the regular room rate, we could get breakfast, snacks, pop, and water bottles. It was nice, but the Grand Californian looked so magnificent when we stopped over there just to look it over that I would want to stay there once just to experience the lavishness...

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Jul Sun 18, 2010 9:28 am

I love the nostalgia of the DLH, but if I could stay at any of those 3, I'd choose the Grand Californian just to be able to walk out the door and right into the park.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Sun 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Grand Californian, most definitely. I love the atmosphere of it, the restaurants around, the entrance to California Adventure, and more.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Sun 18, 2010 11:13 pm

We vistied DL once and it was in 2001 when Grand Californian was brand new. I absolutely loved it there and would really love to go back.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Sun 18, 2010 11:34 pm

I visited Grand California back in November 2002 during the holiday season. Got to see the HMH, IASWH, Holiday fireworks, and first time I rode Soarin' (and did it over and over and over again...). The hotel was incredible, and my family still rates it as their top Disney resort. Not only does it have a great restaurant, but a great bakery too (my parents loved that...).

MintJulepRoo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by MintJulepRoo » Jul Mon 19, 2010 12:05 am

Last May we booked our stay at the Disneyland Hotel. We got into our room and my mouth dropped. It was so...not good. It smelt bad and was really dirty. I wasn't pleased because all I could think about was how much money we were paying and how unsatisfied I was. If I am paying for Disney Magic, that is what I expect. All I can say is that it's a good thing they are refurbing the whole place. I walked straight to the Grand Californian where I had stayed the previous year and asked if they could help me switch hotels. They were absolutely great and switched us over. Of course we had to pay the difference in price but I just couldnt handle how rough that DLH room was. (It was kind of embarassing carrying our luggage through Downtown Disney but I was so happy to be out of that terrible room!) When I stay on property I will only stay at the Grand Californian. You can't beat the quality, theme, restaurants (Storyteller Cafe is wonderful) and the private entrance to DCA. 8-)
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Mon 19, 2010 1:03 am

We have stayed at the DLH a couple of times and the nostalgia of it was always amazing. However, if given the choice we would definitely go for GC! :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Mon 19, 2010 9:18 am

MintJulepRoo wrote:Last May we booked our stay at the Disneyland Hotel. We got into our room and my mouth dropped. It was so...not good. It smelt bad and was really dirty. I wasn't pleased because all I could think about was how much money we were paying and how unsatisfied I was. If I am paying for Disney Magic, that is what I expect. All I can say is that it's a good thing they are refurbing the whole place. I walked straight to the Grand Californian where I had stayed the previous year and asked if they could help me switch hotels. They were absolutely great and switched us over. Of course we had to pay the difference in price but I just couldnt handle how rough that DLH room was. (It was kind of embarassing carrying our luggage through Downtown Disney but I was so happy to be out of that terrible room!) When I stay on property I will only stay at the Grand Californian. You can't beat the quality, theme, restaurants (Storyteller Cafe is wonderful) and the private entrance to DCA. 8-)
I don't understand why but the DLH always seems to be under refurbishment! It was that way both times we stayed there in the 1990's! After GC opened, I switched to there and will never go back. It just seems like people staying at DLH trash the rooms to hell. I don't know why...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Mon 19, 2010 3:36 pm

mindflipper wrote:
MintJulepRoo wrote:Last May we booked our stay at the Disneyland Hotel. We got into our room and my mouth dropped. It was so...not good. It smelt bad and was really dirty. I wasn't pleased because all I could think about was how much money we were paying and how unsatisfied I was. If I am paying for Disney Magic, that is what I expect. All I can say is that it's a good thing they are refurbing the whole place. I walked straight to the Grand Californian where I had stayed the previous year and asked if they could help me switch hotels. They were absolutely great and switched us over. Of course we had to pay the difference in price but I just couldnt handle how rough that DLH room was. (It was kind of embarassing carrying our luggage through Downtown Disney but I was so happy to be out of that terrible room!) When I stay on property I will only stay at the Grand Californian. You can't beat the quality, theme, restaurants (Storyteller Cafe is wonderful) and the private entrance to DCA. 8-)
I don't understand why but the DLH always seems to be under refurbishment! It was that way both times we stayed there in the 1990's! After GC opened, I switched to there and will never go back. It just seems like people staying at DLH trash the rooms to hell. I don't know why...
Funny you should mention that...guess what? It's being renovated again! (surprise, surprise)

GC has the standard that one should expect coming from a DL property resort...I agree that DLH has become quite "ghetto" (for lack of a better word) in recent years and it's sad because you still pay the steep rate. We have never stayed at Paradise Pier, but it sure seemed to be a nice, quiet getaway from the hustle and bustle of DLH.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 19, 2010 4:55 pm

MmeLeota wrote:...We have never stayed at Paradise Pier, but it sure seemed to be a nice, quiet getaway from the hustle and bustle of DLH.
We were told by several people that Paradise Pier was essentially identical to DLH...but we have never stayed there so I don't know first-hand...DLH was always quite nice when we were there, maybe we hit it just right after each renovation :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Mon 19, 2010 5:42 pm

The first time we stayed at DLH, it was fabulous! Of course, that was the first time we had ever stayed on Disney property. The second time was still magical but it was different...in recent years, even just walking around the grounds of the hotel was not as magical as it had been.

(this could have something to do with the construction and our dislike for the removal of items that made the area nostalgic)

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Mon 19, 2010 7:25 pm

I've never gone near the Paradise Pier hotel unless I'm driving by it on the street to get to the park but the outside looks nice.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Mon 19, 2010 9:01 pm

We've walked through the lobby a few times and though it doesn't have the charm of the DLH, it was nice and quiet. No hustle and bustle. Of course, this was at least 5 years ago so I don't know if that has changed.

(Honestly, I liked the hotel better when it was the Disneyland Pacific Hotel. We were there when they took the last of the signage down and put up the banner that read "Paradise Pier Hotel". They had done it overnight)

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Mon 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Wow. I was expecting some competition. Interesting. We'll see how this looks in a few months.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.