The Rivers of America

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

MintJulepRoo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

The Rivers of America

Post by MintJulepRoo » Apr Sun 25, 2010 12:50 am

I heard the Rivers of America have been drained for awhile for a major refurb. Is it still drained? If so, has it ruined the atmosphere of Frontierland, New Orleans Square and Critter Country? It would seem so strange to see a big empty hole in that area. Also, not experiencing the impressive presence of the Mark Twain would be disappointing. (Not to mention Fantasmic not running and the Columbia being M.I.A as well). I was in California Adventure when the water at Paradise Pier was drained and they were working on WOC. It made everything seem OFF and interrupted. I know refurbs are essential to successful Disney Park operations but they kinda stress me out haha :oops: Anyone know when the ROA will be back to normal??
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Sun 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Yes, it's still drained. It won't be filled until sometime in May. I don't think it really has effected or ruined the atmosphere very much. Yes, seeing the Rivers being boarded up isn't a nice sight but to know that they're getting a complete refurb, track replacement, and some necessary downtime, it's good. Keep an eye out in the DCA Expansion thread since I post what Micechat updates with.

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Apr Sun 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Wow..I've never seen the river drained. Are there any photos out there that you know of?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 25, 2010 10:12 pm

check out micechat imaginationcelebration - they have tons of pictures and it is very interesting to see all the Fantasmic piping and track for the riverboats...

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Sun 25, 2010 11:00 pm

imaginationcelebration wrote:Wow..I've never seen the river drained. Are there any photos out there that you know of?
There is a weekly update on micechat that is posted over here: viewtopic.php?t=3379&start=270

There are numerous pictures of the ongoing work during the Rivers of America refurbishment.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Mon 26, 2010 3:26 pm

The latest Micechat update says that the Rivers of America is set to reopen May 7.

imaginationcelebration

Post by imaginationcelebration » Apr Mon 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Thank you everyone for the photo finding tips. I'd never been to micechat before. It definitely is neat seeing the Rivers of America drained, but I have to wonder how many cell phones they found!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 26, 2010 6:57 pm

imaginationcelebration wrote:Thank you everyone for the photo finding tips. I'd never been to micechat before. It definitely is neat seeing the Rivers of America drained, but I have to wonder how many cell phones they found!
That would be interesting to know what all they found under those murky waters!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Mon 26, 2010 7:00 pm

I always wondered the same about POTC and Splash Mountain too...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Maybe some of Sub's past CMs could enlighten us as to what weird objects ended up in the lost and found?!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Tue 27, 2010 4:53 pm

I wish there was something on Google to tell us what has been found. One of the CM's will have to fill us in!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 27, 2010 5:44 pm

I heard somewhere that some of the "major" projects scheduled for the river's refurb were scrapped. Does anyone know what the original plans were?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Tue 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Amy wrote:
imaginationcelebration wrote:Thank you everyone for the photo finding tips. I'd never been to micechat before. It definitely is neat seeing the Rivers of America drained, but I have to wonder how many cell phones they found!
That would be interesting to know what all they found under those murky waters!
I'm more intrigued as to how much money was down there. Just from riding through in WDW, I can tell there is a ton of money in IASW and POTC.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Len90 wrote:I'm more intrigued as to how much money was down there. Just from riding through in WDW, I can tell there is a ton of money in IASW and POTC.
Didn't know about all the money...maybe I should strap on some scuba gear and rescue the change! I wonder if they clean it out and donate it to charities like they reportedly do with the fountains and wishing wells?

imaginationcelebration

Post by imaginationcelebration » Apr Tue 27, 2010 8:51 pm

After searching all over, this is about the only reference I could find regarding draining it and what they've found:

"The last time the river was drained was in 2003. When it is drained, park workers find all kinds of things such as cameras, sunglasses and cell phones. They found a toaster and a full bottle of rum last time."

Here's the link to the report:
http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/tag ... f-america/