Space Mountain - Space Station 77

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Space Mountain - Space Station 77

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Tue 12, 2005 1:16 pm

Here's some great information I came across regarding the new Space Mountain. Thought you would enjoy this, subsonic.

"After Space Mountain closed without advance warning on April 10, 2003 – just days before The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Playhouse Disney attractions opened – Disneyland released a statement saying that “Space Mountain will be redesigned and relaunched in conjunction with the Disneyland 50th Anniversary in 2005. Construction will begin immediately and additions such as new special effects, digital technology, an integrated audio sound system and a completely revamped queue will provide a new level of excitement to Space Mountain.”

For most of the past two years, the Disneyland Web site has said only that Space Mountain would re-launch sometime in 2005, though there were rumors of potential re-opening dates in November, July and May. At the State of the Resort meeting in March, Disneyland President Matt Oiumet finally revealed that Space Mountain would reopen on July 15th, two days before Disneyland’s 50th anniversary.

Chrissie Allen, Senior Show Producer for the new Space Mountain, explains that this 27-month renovation gave Imagineers the opportunity to introduce effects that were not possible when Space Mountain opened in 1977. Riders will now enter “Space Station 77,” a renovated loading area featuring a new space probe. A “window” onto the cosmos replaces the cheesy status board, and riders will feel a slight sense of disorientation, as the space station appears to “rotate.”

Riders will board redesigned rocket vehicles, and enter lift A. To finally put the rumors to rest, there is no “launch” technology in the new ride. The mechanics of lift A and lift B are basically unchanged, but both have new special effects. Lift A features a “speed tunnel” effect similar to that used in the Walt Disney World attraction, lift B carries the rockets through a 90’ tunnel that appears to rotate around the vehicles. Allen said that during tests of the new effect, test subjects could not walk through a 30’ section of tunnel without grabbing for a handhold.

When riders reach the top of the lift, the first thing they might notice is that the mountain is completely dark. Allen says that there are no light leaks inside the mountain. 70 projectors fill the inside dome with stars and realistic-looking planets, stars, galaxies and nebulae, complete with comets. The “outer space” environment presented will match what photos from the Hubble telescope tell us space should look like, instead of the images from the original attraction which looked quite like flying chocolate chip cookies.

A recording counts down to the first drop, and then riders are sent hurtling through the mountain on a “flight path” that is virtually unchanged from the original. A brand-new custom soundtrack accompanies the ride. A longer re-entry tunnel with new lighting effects ends the experience.

Imagineers hinted that there were even more surprises to be revealed when Space Mountain returned in July, and there have been rumors that the ride would be subtly transformed at night, perhaps with a new music track. It seems there is some merit to the rumors, as close inspection of the newly installed Space Mountain sign outside the attraction shows a second set of fiber-optic lights that read “Rockit Mountain.” It is also possible that Disney will reopen Space Mountain in July as planned, and save the launch of “Rockit Mountain” for Spring 2006, when Tower of Terror is scheduled to receive the new random-drop upgrade."

Looks like you were right with your "Rockit Mountain" assessment, sub. I'm jealous of you all in sunny CA who will be able to experience the new mountain in July! Arrgghhh! It'll probably take another five years for me to get down there again.

Gizmata
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Gizmata » Apr Tue 12, 2005 1:44 pm

The Disoreintation sounds like the old avalanche at Universal which is a large tunnel that rotates around you. This give your mind fits as to your eyes the world is moving, yet your ear says you aren't. Just like on Mission Space where your mind turns off the rotation data from your innear ear because your vision and sounds say you arent moving, here your mind decidedes you are moving when you arent.

I think this will be nice for the lift, but I question if the whole space station rotating is a good idea. Making the riders sick before getting on the ride is probably not going to fly long. I figure this will just be windows onto moving star fields though so unless you look at the you will be fine. This makes me question that
riders will feel a slight sense of disorientation, as the space station appears to “rotate.”

Guess we will have to wait to see it. :)

One down side.. I will miss the cookie. That thing was always waiting for you when you started your race through space. I hope they hide it someplace so its still there, even it only infrequently.

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Tue 12, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks for sharing that! Now more than ever do I want to ride Space Mountain.

I also thought of that avalanche/volcano/Mummy bug thing at Universal Studios. That's pretty neat to ride through, but I don't know about walking through. I hope people don't become too disoriented and meet their lunch for the second time.

In any case, I can't wait to ride it.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Tue 12, 2005 6:56 pm

This is a complete guess, but I think the rotation will be very very subtle. Perhaps a few faint stars rotating by view ports on the walls.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

kgmadorin

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Wed 13, 2005 7:37 am

subsonic wrote:This is a complete guess, but I think the rotation will be very very subtle. Perhaps a few faint stars rotating by view ports on the walls.
I'm sure that's all it will be. Enough for a fantastic effect, but not so much to cause motion sickness. And if it does turn out to be too disorienting, I'm sure the effect will be slowed down or stopped after the first couple dozen guests lose their lunch.

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Apr Wed 13, 2005 9:04 am

Yeah - I'd bet on that as well...

Sounds really interesting - and really good marketing on the RockIt Mtn launch next year, give the crowd a reason to return and ride again...
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

FootballGuy101
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by FootballGuy101 » May Thu 12, 2005 9:35 pm

can't wait
Playing tag should be permitted on Tom Sawyer's Island so the guards would stop yelling at me.