It's a Small World!! Changes!!

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Apr Wed 01, 2009 10:38 am

Botts wrote:Also, I don't remember, but were the pink, purple, and blue koala's in the original ride?
Yes they were there before. Luckily they haven't taken them away. I always liked them.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by sockfire » Apr Wed 01, 2009 10:43 am

Just went on the ride again on Sunday. They added a few more characters to the sparse North America area. Mostly Pixar stuff.

Mike and Sully
Flik and Hopper
and Lightning McQueen

Here's a link to the video I took of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

Akyriel
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Akyriel » Apr Wed 08, 2009 12:45 pm

haha rickroll time! :D.... The only characters that look out of place are Dory and Nemo --- wayyyy tooo shiney

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Apr Wed 08, 2009 1:05 pm

I love the new additions! It gives you something cool to search for while you're on the ride. At least, that's what me and the pals did.
:nemo:

Abecca228
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by Abecca228 » Apr Fri 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Of course I love the old smallworld but I did love the refirbished smallworld. It gave me something to do when you are looking around trying to find the characters and see all the bright vibrant colors :D

RiaLucia
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by RiaLucia » Apr Wed 29, 2009 7:48 pm

I had such mixed feelings when I read that they were adding new characters into IASW, but when I finally saw it for myself a couple months ago, I really, truly enjoyed it! Very, VERY tastefully done, in my opinion, and I had fun looking for the new additions. And I liked that I did have to look for them and they weren't blaringly obvious.
Botts wrote:
And being a Canadian, I'm glad they left the stereotypical Mountie in the ride, I thought it may have dissapeared :D
Ha ha. Every time I see the Mountie, I say, "Man, if I was Canadian, I'd be p*ssed!"

napastoy
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by napastoy » Apr Wed 29, 2009 10:14 pm

My one big problem with shoving characters in every attraction is not the addition of the characters as much as it is the real reasoning behind it. If it's being done to revamp an attraction, I think it's a cheap and lazy way to do it. I can't really say I feel it's being done to enhance a specific ride when you start doing it to more than one attraction.

If you are going to update an attraction at Disney, then really update it. Disney is where creativity is suppose to be King, but lately it's taken a backseat to commercial overkill. It's the same ideology with making endless, lousy sequels of classic movies. I can't even stand to go into Innoventions any more, because it's all one big corporate ad.

I understand the economics, it's a cheap and easy way to tout something as being "new and improved" (when it's actually not...kinda like the toothpaste ads) and increase attendance to that attraction...but for how long I wonder? Then what? Close it down again and add more characters? I guess I'd have more respect for Disney doing it this way if they were more truthful about. Just don't keep peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.

And yes, your right Disney is not a museum, but it also doesn't need to become one big, poorly over done advertisement for Disney itself, Pixar or anything else.
"“Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas."

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » May Tue 05, 2009 6:54 pm

I was forcibly dragged onto this ride yesterday (not literally but I was bribed) and I was busy pointing all the Disney characters out thanks to the updates and pictures I've seen. I mostly sat in my seat, drinking my Fantasia Freeze and humming a different song in my head to avoid brainwashing. :lol:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Tue 05, 2009 11:08 pm

I have yet to go on the "new" ISAW, so I don't want to make any conclusions until I see it for myself.

With that said, my opinion is that judging from what I have seen on other sites and you tube, I think most of the new characters are ok...except Dory and Nemo. As for the America scene, well even though it was taken from Mary Blair's original design, I think it is over done and I do not like the Toy Story characters in it.

So, as a child, I loved this ride (I think I would ride it 3 or 4 times in a row) and now I can only handle it once per trip (unless it's the holiday version). But over the years, I learned the message it was sending and it has made me interested in other cultures. My biggest fear is that the message of world peace and celebrating cultures from around the world will be lost to the kids looking for their beloved Disney characters. There are plenty of other places in the park for characters.

faxprincess
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by faxprincess » Jul Mon 27, 2009 3:02 pm

I liked the changes! It was fun to look at new things. No complaints here.

DisneyNut2009
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by DisneyNut2009 » Aug Sun 02, 2009 3:26 pm

The changes to DL's IaSW look great and were indeed done very tastefully and seamlessly.

Quit ragging on the Imagineers!!!

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Aug Mon 03, 2009 8:51 pm

I finally was able to see this for myself last week. I liked the new small world. The colors were so vibrant and the new boats were much more comfortable. As for the new character additions they were fun and didn't bother me a bit. Our family had fun hunting for and snapping photos of the new characters.

PureDisney

Post by PureDisney » Aug Tue 04, 2009 9:54 am

I think this sounds like a welcome change. I might even ride it when it's not Christmas

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Thu 10, 2009 9:26 pm

I can only tolerate the Christmas overlay. However, at least they did the Disney characters in the Mary Blair style for the most part. Small World was one of the few rides that had no link to any Disney - but not anymore! It's like they don't want any attraction to stand on its own without a film tie. POTC now has Davey Jones, Captain Balboa and Captain Jack Sparrow. Mexico at EPCOT added the Tres Caballeros, the Living Seas added Finding Nemo, and Horizons was dumped for Mission: Space based on the Mission to Mars movie with Gary Sinise. Well, at least they never put Eddie Murphy into the Haunted Mansion LOL!

Cam
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Cam » Sep Fri 11, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm too nostalgic; I liked it just the way it was. They did a nice job with the changes though. :roll: