It's a Small World!! Changes!!

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Ok, at the D23 Expo, there was a presentation about IASW (focusing on HK, but disucssing all versions). It was during that presentation (which included Tony Baxter and Kim Irvine) they explained that the characters were all based on Mary Blair's design so they would blend in and that it was not a "product placement" idea. Also, they explained that Ms. Blair's original ride included the America scene, but when it came time to build it out,, they simply ran out of room...a common problem within WDI. All that survived was the cowboy in the white room at the end. So with this last update, the imagineers decided to add the scene back in.
Later that evening, my DH and I took that new information and rode ISAW and though I don't exactly agree with characters being added, I have to say...it was done very well.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 16, 2009 7:22 pm

I heard it explained that the addition of the Disney characters was done for HK in order for park guests there to be relate to the ride. If that is the case, then why did they do it as Disneyland? (They could have done it to WDW for I know, I haven't been on the ride for some time). I don't like the characters being added either.

I don't mind old rides getting an update - I like Constance the black widow bride in the attic of HM. She was, however, actually based on a changing portrait by Marc Davis that was never used. Like the America scene based on Mary Blair in the IASW, I'm okay with changes that capture ideas from the original designs that for some reason could not have been built back then but can be done now.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Sep Thu 17, 2009 5:41 am

MmeLeota wrote:Also, they explained that Ms. Blair's original ride included the America scene, but when it came time to build it out,, they simply ran out of room...a common problem within WDI. All that survived was the cowboy in the white room at the end. So with this last update, the imagineers decided to add the scene back in.
The Paris version of small world had the USA scene in it from the start. I took this photo last time I was there.

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 17, 2009 11:36 am

Thank you for the pic Andy! They did explain this too...and that they changed it slightly for Disneyland for cultural reasons.

I have so much respect for the Imagineers. They have to really know the culture of the area they're dealing with.

There was concern when they were thinking about adding IASW to HK because the idea had been done in every other Chinese theme park, and thought it was played out. (There were some really scary looking pics of these knockoff IASW rides throughout China...the Imagineers then joked about what a Halloween version would look like :) ) But fortunately, it was a big hit.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 17, 2009 9:19 pm

I took a look at your photo Andy and had to go back and look at my photos. I have almost the exact same picture from DLP but mine is a little out of focus. I agree with MmeLeota about the Imagineers having to understand the various cultures around the globe with respect to attractions!

proudcanuck
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Re: It's a Small World!! Changes!!

Post by proudcanuck » Apr Tue 19, 2011 8:59 pm

I have been on Small World recently and the new changes are not that bad. Because I was with my 4 year old son, he knew Woody, and Pinocchio etc, so it was worth seeing his eyes light up when he saw those characters.

SlueFootSue
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by SlueFootSue » Jan Sat 18, 2014 11:06 am

I know this is an older post - but just wanted to say I recently saw the new version in Disneyland and found the integration of the Mary Blair style characters and even some of the music enchanting!! :mickey: :mickey:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 18, 2014 1:09 pm

The Disney characters didn't seem so obvious this past December when we were there. I didn't notice any difference in the musical score, but that might have been because of the Christmas overlay.

garyman
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by garyman » Feb Mon 10, 2014 11:47 am

All I know is that when we were there in December all the little kids loved Disney Characters. We had lots of fun as well.

:hatter_bounce: :hm_ghost: :goofy_bounce: :ccat: :ariel: :donald: :goofy:

Never to old for Disney!