It's a Small World!! Changes!!

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

SlueFootSue
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

It's a Small World!! Changes!!

Post by SlueFootSue » Feb Thu 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Hey everyone! I'm not sure if this is already in another thread, I'm sorry if it is. I was just wondering, how does everyone feel about the change of It's a Small World in Disneyland? An article on msnbc says that they are putting in Disney characters. I have mixed emotions but I think this is one ride that shouldn't be changed....it would be like replacing Sleeping Beauty Castle with the Black Pearl or something... I'd like to hear other opinions though :) What do you think?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29019618/from/ET
If you reach for the stars all you get are the stars but we found a whole new spin
If you reach for the Heavens
you get the stars thrown in

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Thu 05, 2009 7:30 pm

I saw this on the news today, and find it terrible. IASW was one of Walt's original attractions and I feel IMO, it should be left the way Walt designed it.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Thu 05, 2009 7:42 pm

I don't like IASW but they should have kept it the same. I also heard that the rainforest scene is a lot smaller than it used to be.

Gymfan15
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Gymfan15 » Feb Thu 05, 2009 7:42 pm

I saw some pics today...doesn't look so bad. The dolls are very "Mary Blair"-ified and don't look too out of place. Stitch and Donald Duck are the worst offenders, though. There's really no way to make them look IN place.
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/r76ikm.jpg[/img]
- Spareoom.net
Your place for everything Narnia!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Thu 05, 2009 8:03 pm

http://micechat.com/disneyland-news/dis ... all-world/

Here's a bunch of pictures from the ride today.

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by sockfire » Feb Thu 05, 2009 8:07 pm

Disneyland is not a museum. The ride was super-dated and needed an update. I can't wait to see it 8-)

Walt once said: "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Feb Thu 05, 2009 8:51 pm

I don't like it. I think some things should be left as is! Maybe cleaned up or brighter, but not changed. IASW is a classic. The new characters look out of place for sure.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Thu 05, 2009 9:32 pm

That's just WRONG! No it's not a museum, but that's not the point. This was one of WED's visions and yea it needed updating. It didn't need to be a wax museum for Disney's marketing department. It sounds like they were reading the boards and took a sarcastic joke seriously! Because they do things like this, I and I think a few other of my Sub friends have limited there sarcastic comments about what are they going to do next! (Insert your own Disney movie corporate hybrid name here) They truly are W****S! Sorry for the outburst, sometimes I've got to call them like I see them.

PS If anybody is wondering what I'm going off about, read the story and look at the pictures. I think they're changing to name to "IT"S A DISNEY WORLD AFTER ALL!"

PPS MY DW pointed out some people might not know who WED is.

WED= Walter Elias Disney AKA Walt Disney
Last edited by Jacca5660 on Feb Fri 06, 2009 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Feb Thu 05, 2009 9:38 pm

sockfire wrote:Disneyland is not a museum. The ride was super-dated and needed an update. I can't wait to see it 8-)

Walt once said: "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
I've gotta agree with sockfire on this.
My husband and I were discussing this after reading the article and we came to the same conclusion as sockfire. We even discussed that same quote.
We can't wait to see it.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Thu 05, 2009 11:54 pm

I'm sad IASW was closed when I was there last May. It was one of the rides I loved at WDW when I was younger (still do) and really wanted to see the DL version. Maybe one day I will make it back out to CA and ride it then.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Feb Fri 06, 2009 1:44 am

If I can keep from grinding my teeth I will have to go on and check out all the new characters!
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Feb Fri 06, 2009 9:00 am

disneylandmom wrote:
sockfire wrote:Disneyland is not a museum. The ride was super-dated and needed an update. I can't wait to see it 8-)

My husband and I were discussing this after reading the article and we came to the same conclusion as sockfire. We even discussed that same quote.
We can't wait to see it.
Where I agree with you that DLR is not a museum and yes, IASW is dated, the outrage comes more from the addition of Disney characters to an attraction in which they don't fit. Before, the attraction said "yes, we all can get a long once we realize we are all the same, really," now it says "yes, we all can get a long as long as we bow down and accept the overlord that is Disney marketing."

I have seen the pictures that are posted on MiceChat, and it just looks wrong. It is not as bad as I feared when I first read about this seven or eight months ago, but it is still out of place. I hope this change does not come to Florida, because that maybe just enough to keep me out of the Magic Kingdom.

I might be able to live with the characters if the change did not also include the "America" room. Or as I like to call it, the look-at-us-we-are-America-and-yes-we-really-are-this-brash room. No other country gets its own room, they have sections of rooms, but not their own room. America is very well represented within the North America area. It is like saying to the rest of the world we can all get along as long as you understand America is more important than you.

I do look forward to hearing reports from the subsonicers going to the fifth year meet-and-greet this weekend to see what they have to say.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

sockfire

Post by sockfire » Feb Fri 06, 2009 12:12 pm

agingerbugg wrote:
disneylandmom wrote:

We can't wait to see it.
Where I agree with you that DLR is not a museum and yes, IASW is dated, the outrage comes more from the addition of Disney characters to an attraction in which they don't fit. Before, the attraction said "yes, we all can get a long once we realize we are all the same, really," now it says "yes, we all can get a long as long as we bow down and accept the overlord that is Disney marketing."

I have seen the pictures that are posted on MiceChat, and it just looks wrong. It is not as bad as I feared when I first read about this seven or eight months ago, but it is still out of place. I hope this change does not come to Florida, because that maybe just enough to keep me out of the Magic Kingdom.

I might be able to live with the characters if the change did not also include the "America" room. Or as I like to call it, the look-at-us-we-are-America-and-yes-we-really-are-this-brash room. No other country gets its own room, they have sections of rooms, but not their own room. America is very well represented within the North America area. It is like saying to the rest of the world we can all get along as long as you understand America is more important than you.

I do look forward to hearing reports from the subsonicers going to the fifth year meet-and-greet this weekend to see what they have to say.
Wow, that's reading a lot into it. :lol:

Let's all go on it and then decide. I remember people weren't very happy about the changes to Pirates until they saw them in person.

Found this nice write up, with video, on Mouseplanet:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/8714/its_a_s ... Disneyland

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Feb Fri 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Really it is just Disney injecting Disney characters into Disney rides. NOW if we were talking product placement such as the little people holding a can of (insert name brand) soda or a bag of (insert name brand) chips then I could see a problem.

sockfire

Post by sockfire » Feb Fri 06, 2009 2:27 pm

I don't really see it as any different than all the corporate sponsorships that helped open the park to begin with. For instance, ATIS was a big ad for Monsanto chemicals. Let's also not forget the FedEx ads in the Space Mountain queue, or the AT&T branding of the Indiana Jones queue. There are tons of other examples.