Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

waltsentme
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Disneyland Hotel

Post by waltsentme » Feb Wed 04, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi folks:

I grew up in Orange County and always wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but never got to - both a blessing and a curse to live so close! Now we live in the SF Bay Area, and I'll finally be getting my chance when I take my family in March.

I've done some research, but would like to know other peoples experiences staying there:

Which hotel restaurants did you enjoy?

Any unexpected discoveries?

What part of the hotel did you stay in and how were the room amenities?

What did you enjoy doing most when you had time on property?

Secrets you learned?

With this economy this may be the only time we ever get to stay there, so I want my family's experience to be as special as possible.

Thanks!
David

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Feb Wed 04, 2009 2:15 pm

I've never stayed there either. I lived in the area until I was about 9 then moved only about 40 miles away so there has never been a need to stay at the Hotel. The one restaurant that I really want to try there though is Steakhouse 55, I still have yet to go.
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

viking245
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by viking245 » Feb Wed 04, 2009 2:49 pm

We stayed there in December '04. The only hotel restaurant we ate at was Goofy's Kitchenfor breakfast. All 16 of us had a blast. The food was good and fun (mac and cheese for breakfast anyone?).

We had also done the concierge room(?), which at the time of booking (Jan '04) was included with the suites (err, 3-rooms with doors between them). This was nice because we could go up in the AM and have coffee, milk, cereal, bagels and the sort then when we leave to the park, grab a couple of water bottles to take with us. Snacks (fruit and chips) throughout the day and then complimentary drinks (beer/wine) and hodourves 5-7 (or sometime around there). The fridge that had the water bottles also had soda pop.

Note there are 2 pools. Both adequate for relaxing and fun. The other is 'back around the corner' and can be a little more tame. (well, it was December after all)

No "unexpected discoveries" and no real tricks/secrets.

The monorail is in easy walking distance from the hotel, which is nice. This helps make for convenient mid-day breaks from the park(s).

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Feb Wed 04, 2009 5:20 pm

I've stayed there a few times throughout the years.

Goofy's Kitchen - The character breakfast was fun and the expected mahem. Good food selection.

Croc's Bits N Bites - Typical Disney burger/snack stand. Very handy when you get hungry while lounging around the Never Land pool.

Steakhouse 55 - Only had appetizers & drinks here. Expensive.

The Lost Bar - Nice place to hang out for a beverage.

On a related subject - I miss The Monorail Cafe. Does anyone else remember this place fondly?
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Akyriel
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Akyriel » Feb Thu 05, 2009 12:21 pm

I loved the Monorail Cafe :(

I've stayed at the hotel one or two times I don't remember exactly now, but the concierge service is worth it for relaxing and free breakfast and snacks at night for the kids... Don't forget to watch the Fantasia Waters show nightly at about 9pm i think. Something most people don't know about or miss while staying there. I think it's still performing. It's a water and music show for like 10 mintues.

Have fun!

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Feb Thu 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Fantasia Waters show nightly at about 9pm i think
Is that show still there I though it was gone???
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

waltsentme

Post by waltsentme » Feb Fri 06, 2009 2:21 am

Thanks for everyone's comments so far. Does anyone know what restaurant/bar resides where the Oak Room used to be? I remember having some matches and ashtrays from there.

I also remember in the Disneyland newspapers from the 50's and 60's (Steve Martin used to hand them out as a kid), there were ads for shops in the DL Hotel. Wasn't there a shop where ladies could buy designer dresses made specifically for the DL Hotel?

waltsentme

Refurbs in March?

Post by waltsentme » Feb Fri 13, 2009 3:42 pm

I just tried to make reservations at Hook's Pointe, and was told that they're not taking any after March 7th. I'm not sure if they're doing a refurbishment, but I don't think it will be open the whole week we're there!

This upsets me, because I was planning to bring my parents in to share dinner on our first night at the hotel.

I also heard on a podcast that they've removed one ear from the Mickey head on California Screamin', are repainting the Ferris Wheel and have drained all the water in the lagoons.

I'm starting to think I'm going to show up to find half the resort closed...

:shock:

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Refurbs in March?

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Fri 13, 2009 3:48 pm

waltsentme wrote:I also heard on a podcast that they've removed one ear from the Mickey head on California Screamin', are repainting the Ferris Wheel and have drained all the water in the lagoons.
Just going off topic for a quick second but both ears of California Screamin' have been removed now.

As for the Hook's Pointe restaurant, I haven't seen anything on the Disneyland Hotel's official site saying if it's going down for refurbishment.

waltsentme

Post by waltsentme » Feb Fri 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Yeah, I checked that too. I was told by a cast member via the DINE reservation line, and he seemed surprised as well.

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Jul Thu 16, 2009 3:24 pm

We stayed there a couple of years ago with two teenagers. We all loved it. We ate at the Crocs Point place, mostly a snack shack with good hamburgers. My son loved it because it was close to the pool so he didn't have to take too be out of the pool for very long when he needed to eat.

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » Jul Mon 20, 2009 10:43 am

I'll be staying at the Disneyland Hotel for the first time in September! We booked a park view room; does that mean we'll be in the Sierra (or whatever they're calling it now) tower? I hope so.

Akyriel is lost in the past. They stopped showing the Fantasy Waters show a few years ago, sadly.