Enchanted Tiki Room

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

mikelurker
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by mikelurker » Oct Thu 30, 2008 2:01 pm

I've only ever heard the audio for Under New Management (never been to WDW). I was... not impressed.

However, when I went to Tokyo Disneyland and saw Get the Fever! I was impressed. I was surprised by how well they took the theme and further emphasized certain parts that even the original only lightly touched (e.g. the 50's Rat Pack flavor is actually more pronounced... a neat trick in Japanese!). The only complaint I had was with its length; 8 minutes or so is just not enough Tiki goodness.

The new overlay with Stitch is... interesting. The emphasis is off the music, and on Stitch's antics about the Tiki Room. Fairly cute, but I'm more musically-inclined than Stitch-inclined... It helped that I went with a huge Stitch-fan; watching her reactions to Stitch's various antics was a show in itself.

Overall, I rate the original Enchanted Tiki Room at the top, closely followed by Get the Fever!

Akyriel
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Akyriel » Nov Sat 01, 2008 12:31 am

Wow I would love to get out of the US to see Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Resort Paris... I didn't know that Tokyo had a Get The Fever version... schweet!

grumpyutboi
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by grumpyutboi » Nov Sun 23, 2008 7:19 pm

js3901 wrote:one little known fact about the Tiki Room - it's the only attraction in Disneyland that was not originally part of Disneyland. It was personally owned by Walt Disney, through WED Enterprises, where as the rest of Disneyland was owned by the Walt Disney Company (previously Walt Disney Productions).
The railroad was also owned by Mr Disney. Their checks were different and he treated the railroad people better.
Trying is an excuse to fail! Just go and do it!

danimal3114u

Post by danimal3114u » Dec Thu 04, 2008 11:03 am

The last few times we've gone to Disneyland the Tiki Room has been upgraded to must-visit. We had annual passes, so we'd usually just stroll around and hop in line whenever we felt like it. Tiki Room Juice Bar has been a mandatory visit for years, but now we make sure to get our juice or float and get into the next Tiki Room showing. It's Joe Time! (my wife always thought he was calling someone Joe, instead of "show" ) :lol:

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Thu 04, 2008 2:56 pm

Everytime I hear Jose announce "It's show time", I always think Cho for some reason. Random, I know.

CapnHook
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by CapnHook » Jan Fri 16, 2009 1:43 pm

js3901 wrote:one little known fact about the Tiki Room - it's the only attraction in Disneyland that was not originally part of Disneyland. It was personally owned by Walt Disney, through WED Enterprises, where as the rest of Disneyland was owned by the Walt Disney Company (previously Walt Disney Productions).
Except the Disneyland railroad. That was Walt's as well. Forget fi it was through WED or Retlaw though.
Dr. Ravenscroft wrote: 2) It is the ONLY attraction that you are allowed to eat and drink in......I still haven't found out the exact reason, but I have several other reasons.
If I had to bet, it is probably because it was originally intended to be a Restaurant. First with the old Chinese man, and then with the Birds, Tables etc had all been purchased. Changing it to just a show was almost a last minute decision.

I'm betting that something in the construction process was done so it would tolerate spills better.

Or, when papers were filed it was registered as a Restaurant, so legally they are allowed food inside...

Or lastly, The sponsor, Dole, stipulated that in their contract. Who would buy pinapple products and then have to throw them away ?

(PS... I have had food with me on the Railroad... was WONDERFUL!!!!)
Mr. Starkey: No splash, Captain.
Captain Hook: So, you want a splash, Mr Starkey? I'll give you a splash!
[Hook throws Mr Starkey overboard]
Captain Hook: Who's next?

disneyfamily2008
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by disneyfamily2008 » Jan Fri 16, 2009 5:51 pm

I hope they never change the disneyland one,I dont like the WDW at all. My opinion of course. ;)
-Cory, Lala, Ashlyn & Annette

Our DL trips together:
- October 18-20, 2007
- August 12-14, 2008

Future DL trips together:
- February 17-21, 2009

husky
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by husky » Jan Mon 26, 2009 6:44 pm

we enjoy the DL Tiki Room . It still seems preety original to us. We love the Dole Whip, sitting and relaxing and listening to some good old fashioned fun!

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by figmentaholic » Jan Mon 26, 2009 9:30 pm

elizabethswann wrote:Everytime I hear Jose announce "It's show time", I always think Cho for some reason. Random, I know.

Hehe.... when he says it, with his accent, it really does sound like "Cho" instead of "Show". I have it on MP3, and I giggle every time he says it!
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

Abecca228
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by Abecca228 » Apr Sat 11, 2009 12:07 pm

I love Disneyland's Tiki Room! That is my FAV!!! I always have to watch it when I go oh and have a dole whip float with that as well! lol

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Apr Sat 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Is DL's still the original? I don't remember the Offenbach part ("You stay offen my back and I'll stay offen yours.") the last time we were there.

As for WDW, I know most people don't like it, but I happen to enjoy it just for the Tiki Goddess. She's a total wonder of AA, jmho.
Shinku wrote:Yup. There's a small change (they took out a song called the Offenbach number, but it wasn't really adding much anyway) but everything else is original.
Aha, I found my own answer. Thanks, Shinku. Teaches me not to skip to the last page before posting. :roll:

saritajuanita
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by saritajuanita » Apr Sun 19, 2009 12:15 am

As to the eating/drinking issue: originally, they did not allow eating/drinking (I think it was even part of the spiel at the time). I think they've just become more relaxed about that issue, and realized that they sell <i>way</i> more Dole Whip and Dole Whip Floats if they allow people to then <i>eat</i> those items during the show.

When I worked Stores at the park and I'd come across a particularly run-down looking tourist at 2:30 in the afternoon in mid-July, I'd always pitch them the Tiki Room ("it's air conditioned, there's never a line, you can sit down, the show lasts for 13 minutes . . . and did I mention the Dole Whip?...").
"Pretty soon we'll be underwater - I mean, under<i>way</i>."

"Careful of the little ones folks, if they latch on to you they'll bleed you dry for the next 18 to 24 years."

RiaLucia
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by RiaLucia » Apr Wed 29, 2009 7:44 pm

One of my brother's and my favorite thing to do at DLR is get a Dole Whip or some Bengal Barbecue and go sit in the Tiki Room and eat it. I actually didn't know food was really allowed until a few months ago! We are usually two of the only people in the audience who know all the words to every song--we grew up watching "Let's All Sing (Like the Birdies Sing)" on one of those Disney Sing-a-Long tapes. The original is far superior. When I first saw the Under New Management, I wanted to rip a bird off its perch and throw it, I was so mad. I kinda got used to it over the years, but now that I live in CA and have the original, I'm content.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Tue 05, 2009 10:23 pm

The original is far superior. When I first saw the Under New Management, I wanted to rip a bird off its perch and throw it, I was so mad.

I feel the same way. My husband and I saw Under New Management on our honeymoon (it was brand new then). Neiher one of us liked it at all...tiki room has always been one of my faves!

cadaisy
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by cadaisy » Jul Sun 12, 2009 5:16 pm

My husband (his first trip) and I went to DL in Oct 07. I had been to the park about a gazillion times having grown up in the central valley, but he had never been there. I of course insisted that we were there when the gates opened. We headed out towards New Orleans Square. On the way we were passing the Tiki Room, and we were being beckoned in for "last call". We decided to go ahead and see it early since we were going to see it anyway. Wow! What a different experience it was! It was us...and a party of 4 or 5. It was a little surreal being there with the birds saying "look at all the people"....but it felt like "they" were performing just for us. :)
The very best part was the "after show" though...we got to take pictures (with flash) inside the room, and the castmember took a picture of us as well, in front of the fountain. I never thought that would be possible. The Tiki Room was always my dad's favorite attraction and when my brother and I were kids in the 60's, he taught us to appreciate it too. Brings a smile to my face to remember him, and the way the Tiki Room has endured.
"A dream is a wish your heart makes..."