DL Annual Pass Worth it?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

cordray2643
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

DL Annual Pass Worth it?

Post by cordray2643 » Jun Fri 27, 2008 5:48 pm

My wife, daughter (3), and I went to the Land in May and have another trip scheduled for September (3 days). We will probably be out there again in April of '09 and then again in July. We also go on a 10 day annual trip to WDW. Because we pay for WDW with frequent traveler rewards, we never thought of an AP for there. But since we buy our tickets for DL, we are wondering if going 6-9 days within a year would even be worth doing the annual pass. Any thoughts?
Character Meals: 14 and counting

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jun Fri 27, 2008 7:52 pm

if you go there as much as i do. :lol: plus theres the discounts on all the food and drinks. :D

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » Jun Fri 27, 2008 8:37 pm

I think it is worth it. If you are a SoCal resident, get a SoCal resident pass and it pays for itself after 2-3 visits.

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Jun Sun 29, 2008 5:06 pm

We purchased a deluxe last year and were able to take three week long trips with it, (two last summer and we just returned from our third last night). For us yes it was worth it. We saved 10% on the food purchases, and after doing the math we figured it cost us around thirteen dollars a day per person to enter the park. I would suggest that if you do buy an AP first buy the park hopper with early entry then upgrade to the AP after doing that. Also they are good for one year from the first day of entry to the park. Finally be sure to check the block out days on the disney web site to make sure the AP won't be blocked during your stay. There is no child price for an AP so you would pay the same price for your child's AP as your adult ones.
I hope this helped. Have fun!

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Jun Mon 30, 2008 10:26 am

disneylandmom wrote:We purchased a deluxe last year and were able to take three week long trips with it, (two last summer and we just returned from our third last night). For us yes it was worth it. We saved 10% on the food purchases, and after doing the math we figured it cost us around thirteen dollars a day per person to enter the park. I would suggest that if you do buy an AP first buy the park hopper with early entry then upgrade to the AP after doing that. Also they are good for one year from the first day of entry to the park. Finally be sure to check the block out days on the disney web site to make sure the AP won't be blocked during your stay. There is no child price for an AP so you would pay the same price for your child's AP as your adult ones.
I hope this helped. Have fun!
I'd also add that if you plan on driving to the park instead of walking or taking public transport the Premium is a good choice too. The Premium includes parking, and I believe it's currently $12. I wouldn't be surprised to see it raised within the time you were talking about visiting (September 08-Jul 09). I believe the entire month of July is blocked out on anything below Deluxe, so that will be your base.

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jul Sat 26, 2008 1:27 pm

if you are going to be in the Parks for more than 7 days the Deluxe AP is worth it. You get entry 315 days out of the year. Which basically means the Saturdays in the Summer are out, Holidays, and the entire week after Christmas are out. I bought my AP last August on the first day of my trip, which was on one of those blocked out dates which gets you entry on that day for free (just a hint for anyone looking at getting a DL AP, so technically I got entry on 316 days :) ). Personally I went to DL in August, December, and July and I only had one day blocked out so I just went to San Pedro for the day. I think I calculated it out to be $11 per day.

In addition you get 10% off at many counter service, and sit down restaurants. You also get 20% off certain tours, like the Cruzin' California tour I took this past trip.

Basically what we are all saying is that if you go for 7 days you will break even on all the tickets, if you go for longer you really save, plus if you use your discounts you will REALLY make it worth it. I think the average price on the parkhopper tickets comes out to $34 per day, so you can do the math to figure out what you want to do.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

Slimmer Kimmers
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Slimmer Kimmers » Jul Sun 27, 2008 12:50 pm

We have the So Cal Annual Pass and it has been soooooo worth it. We started with a park hopper and upgraded on our last day. It was a great investment. Worth every penny. :D

garyman

Post by garyman » Aug Fri 01, 2008 11:36 pm

Yes, Annual Pass can be worth it. Just wish they would include a few early entries with the purchase. 1 for SO Cal, 3 with Deluxe and 7 with premium passport. This way one could avoid doing the upgrades as mentioned above. :ariel: :oops:

Never to old for Disney!

slotofkit
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by slotofkit » Aug Sat 02, 2008 11:20 am

My family and I started getting annual passes for the reason you're asking, cordray. We spent quite a few days there on one trip and knew we were coming back for a couple more within the year, and so, the ap was a lot cheaper to get than to get tickets each time.

But, that was before the SoCal pass days. It really depends on which one you can get and/or how much you want to spend.
--------------------------------------------
"It's a tribute to all nations but mostly America"
-Sam the Eagle
Muppet Vision 3D

bamato
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by bamato » Aug Tue 05, 2008 12:37 pm

I'm not an AP holder but that math is simple if you live in So Cal. I've wanted to move there solely so I can be an AP holder and make it worth it :)

Sparten
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Re: DL Annual Pass Worth it?

Post by Sparten » Apr Mon 11, 2011 7:23 pm

IF you live any where below San Fransisco In California then its not a question to have an AP. You will never EVER regret it :D :D
"Here you leave the world of today, and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." Walt Disney
"Now this tale didn't happen yesterday or the day before. It happened long long ago." Uncle Remus
"Is it a bad thing to have fun?" Me :D