California residents, does Disney lose its happiness?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

bamato
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

California residents, does Disney lose its happiness?

Post by bamato » Jun Thu 26, 2008 9:18 am

For all you southern Cali residents that go on a weekly to monthly basis to DLR, or even the Floridians that go just as often to WDW, does it lose its flair when you go so often? I have to drive 5 hours to get to DLR and I only get to go once to twice a year. And I dream of living near the park and being an AP holder and going at minimum once a month. But my wife claims it would lose it's magic after a while and become repetitive and boring. I don't see how honestly... But maybe that is because I only get a few days a year... :cry:

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Jun Thu 26, 2008 11:26 am

Never. I've made multiple posts about this. I actually enjoy the park now more than I did when I went about once a year or so. It's wonderful to be able to sit and relax and people watch. My wife and I love sitting on the porch on Main Street and watching families and groups go by.
You might change your focus from all of the rides and attractions and to watching people interact and noticing the small details in everything, but you definitely do not lose any magic.

bamato

Post by bamato » Jun Thu 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Thats what I figured. Like you could make more caual trips and enjoy yourself more. Because right now, it's like a Disney power vacation when I go.. MUST SEE EVERYTHING in only a few days. So I miss a lot of the little things... :(

stev02
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by stev02 » Jun Thu 26, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm glad you posted about this bamato. I plan on moving to Florida to be closer to the magic. Danimal3114u, I can totally see what you mean by that. When you live closer, you can use your AP and just relax in EPCOT and people watch with a margarita or Stella.

I can't wait to be closer to home. :)
[url=http://www.d-cot.com][img]http://www.d-cot.com/images/d-cot_button.png[/img][/url]

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jun Thu 26, 2008 3:01 pm

I have an annual pass and I've been going frequently but every time I go, I never get tired of the place. Every chance I go, I want to view everything as possible so my family and I break the park down into a few pieces. One day we'll go towards the left hand side of the park through Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Critter Country and Frontierland then the next time it would be browsing through Main Street USA, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown. My goal in life is to get through every little bit of the park one trip at a time so I don't miss out on anything.

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jun Thu 26, 2008 7:26 pm

i dont think it looses its magic i think that it just gets less exciting, but in some way you still love disneyland because it brings you back in time to a happy place of your life. :mickey:
Anyone agree with me?

bamato

Post by bamato » Jun Fri 27, 2008 11:24 am

I see the happy place theory working out. I really don't think it's possible for it to get boring. Like said above, I would be able to take more relaxed trips to the park and enjoy myself more with less of the rush rush rush must see everything attitude ya know? Cause you miss out on a lot. :wink:

Disneykid52
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by Disneykid52 » Jun Fri 27, 2008 7:28 pm

Great thread. I have been wondering if I would be happy if I moved to California and worked part time at DLR. Disneyland is where my heart is and I think I would really love interacting with guests and being a part of the magic, but I would not want to ruin that magical connection I have with the place and Walt's legacy. Wish they had a summer intern program for senior citizens to come work at the park try it out. :mickey:

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » Jun Fri 27, 2008 8:43 pm

It doesn't lose its flair for me. I love to experience new things and seeing some scenery on a ride that I have never noticed before. Sure if I went every day it would probably loose some magic, but when I go once to twice a month I lnever tire of the place.

danimal3114u

Post by danimal3114u » Jun Mon 30, 2008 10:09 am

Disneykid52 wrote:Great thread. I have been wondering if I would be happy if I moved to California and worked part time at DLR. Disneyland is where my heart is and I think I would really love interacting with guests and being a part of the magic, but I would not want to ruin that magical connection I have with the place and Walt's legacy. Wish they had a summer intern program for senior citizens to come work at the park try it out. :mickey:
Being a former cast member, I can say that I think being a CM can make it lose some of it's magic, at least while you're working there. Being backstage and going to the breakrooms and hearing people complain like any other job does bring the magic down a litte. I think you have to try hard to not become disenchanted with everything while you're a CM, and you have to be able to keep the in-park experience and the work expereience separate.

RREng77

Post by RREng77 » Jun Mon 30, 2008 9:23 pm

danimal3114u wrote:
Being a former cast member, I can say that I think being a CM can make it lose some of it's magic, at least while you're working there. Being backstage and going to the breakrooms and hearing people complain like any other job does bring the magic down a litte. I think you have to try hard to not become disenchanted with everything while you're a CM, and you have to be able to keep the in-park experience and the work expereience separate.
That's actually one of my biggest fears in my retirement plan for WDW.

I'm thinking just about everything on-the-job would be similar to being in a parade. Whenever I had to march through a long, hot parade, I'd recall how I felt watching the "old kids" walk by in the parade, and had to do my part to share some of that magic with the "next generation."

I'm figuring that a CM job is really no different - just 40 hrs/week as opposed to 4 hours (one parade) a month... :wink:
To do the improbable, we first have to dream the impossible.

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7058/userbar646708dw8.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3340/userbar646714dx9.gif[/img][/url]

Guy
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Guy » Jul Tue 01, 2008 2:02 am

I was wondering the same about if being a CM diminishes the magic. I was thinking about doing the back-stage tour next time I went to WDW but was worried that it would have the same effect.

bamato

Post by bamato » Jul Tue 01, 2008 12:59 pm

I could also see that being a CM could cause a little bit of "bleh" towards DLR and WDW. Being that you have to see all the people complaining and the less fun "corporate sides" of Disney.

Guy

Post by Guy » Jul Tue 01, 2008 3:08 pm

....oooo I hadn't actually thought of the complainers. :?

bamato

Post by bamato » Jul Wed 02, 2008 7:52 am

I mainly meant listening to other cast members whine about the heat, or other complaints they have or something. I doubt all people working at Disneyland are doing it because they like it there. There are those weird "non-Disney" folk out there.. :wink: