Year of a Million Dashed Dreams!

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

faxprincess
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Year of a Million Dashed Dreams!

Post by faxprincess » Feb Sun 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Okay, not really. I don't go to Disneyland because they have some new theme for the year(s). However, since they have started celebrating this million dreams thing, I personally have gone to Disneyland 4 times. My husband and I have annual passes, so we go every day we're in California. I have a big family who have also gone several times (with annual passes). NOT ONE OF MY FAMILY has won one stinking thing!!! No mouse ears, no fast passes, no extra hour in the park, nothing! A friend of mine went a week before I did and she won fast passes and mouse ears! She only went for 3 days!! How does happen? I know it's supposedly random, but it's not so random, apparently!

Has anyone else visited since this started? Did you win anything?

I liked it better on the 35 year when you walked in the gate, you could win popcorn or a churro or a pin.

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Feb Sun 17, 2008 7:14 pm

Yes, I've been to Disney World twice and Disneyland once during the Year of Million Dreams. No one in my family has ever won anything. I know it's supposed to be random, but we sure don't fit the usual demographics of the winning families with our all adult family.

I've stated before that I would much prefer a Year of a Million Churros where everyone is a winner. That 35th celebration sounds like the perfect idea!
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Feb Sun 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Aw, that's a shame you didn't win anything. The winners truly are chosen randomly. The "Dream Squad" Cast Members are told where to be at a certain time to award prizes (such as the third person on the fourth row of Star Tours at 12:35pm, etc). This is how it's done for all the prizes, from FastPasses to Ears to the stay in Cinderella Castle/Dream Suite.

Well, there is a slight difference in some cases. At the Outdoor Foods carts (ice cream carts, popcorn carts, etc), the cast members have little credit-card sized question cards that they ask a random guest each hour (usually children), and when (not if, when..) they get the question right they get a free ice cream/popcorn/drink/whatever. I remember doing those when I worked there right at the beginning of the first Year of a Million Dreams :) Ahh, memories.

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Feb Sun 17, 2008 7:39 pm

We visited Disneyland twice last summer once in July and once in August. We stayed for one week both trips. We won nothing on our first trip but on our second trip we won Dream Fastpasses. In our case the dream squad was waiting at the exit to Splash Mountain and handed the fastpasses as you exited the ride. They were not there very long though and left shortly after they gave us our fast passes.

bluebayougirl
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bluebayougirl » Feb Tue 19, 2008 1:02 pm

We have visited both WDW and DLR/DCA during the years of a million dreams and have never won anything. The closest we have come is having a cast member blow bubbles at my sons's and give them honoray citizen buttons. btw, i like the year of a million churros's idea :) - blue
You say wicked - like it's a bad thing!

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Feb Tue 19, 2008 6:25 pm

I usually visit Disneyland a couple of times per year, but haven't won anything from the Dreams Squad. I don't expect to, either.

But then one day while at the Hollywood Studios, I walked into One Man's Dream (where hardly anyone was) and there was the Dream Squad giving away Mickey-ear hats. Just gotta be at the right place at the right time.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Feb Wed 20, 2008 11:31 pm

At WDW in December, my wife and I got Dream FastPasses

At DL last month, my parents got Dream FastPasses

At DL in December, my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and their son, got a dinner at the chef's table at the Napa Rose restaurant.

We've been other times and not gotten anything. But yeah, most of my family has been pegged at least for something.
~Steve

esteed
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by esteed » Feb Thu 21, 2008 1:09 pm

lets just hope this streak continues. :D

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Feb Thu 21, 2008 1:19 pm

Hehe, fingers crossed my man.
~Steve

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Feb Thu 21, 2008 2:27 pm

spaulo wrote: my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and their son,
:shock: *scratches head*

Oh, it's one of those families. :wink:

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Feb Thu 21, 2008 2:56 pm

FlyingMouse wrote:
spaulo wrote: my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and their son,
:shock: *scratches head*

Oh, it's one of those families. :wink:
Eh? It's a family, a mother, a father, and a son.

The mother in question is my wife's sister. So, my sister-in-law. Of course, her husband is also then my brother-in-law...

?
~Steve

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Feb Thu 21, 2008 4:54 pm

spaulo wrote:The mother in question is my wife's sister. So, my sister-in-law. Of course, her husband is also then my brother-in-law...

?
:oops: You're right. My wife's an only child, so I don't have both of those at once. I only have brothers-in-law.

Carry on :)

WishUponaStar
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by WishUponaStar » Feb Thu 21, 2008 7:12 pm

We've been on 3 trips so far during the Year of a Million Dreams; two in WDW, once in DL. We have TWO more coming up; DL again in June & WDW again in Oct. I try not to think about winning anything b/c it really is probably crushing when you feel like you spend SO much time & nada. We did win two YoaMD lanyards with special pins on them in EPCOT, otherwise, nada. Keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck, hope you get something wonderful before the celebration is over!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10701;442/st/20081008/e/WDW/k/39e1/event.png[/img]

TheCheshireStitch
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Feb Fri 22, 2008 1:33 am

my hubby and i have gone to wdw 5 times during the year of a million dreams (combined, so far, that amounts to 20 full days). we're going our 6th time this may-- we'll be there for 10 days. we've yet to win anything, either. we also haven't seen one dream granted to anyone.

my parents went for a week shortly after the year of a million dreams kicked off, and the only dream they saw granted was some woman receiving a dinner plate-sized cookie.

i guess we've just had bad luck? here's hoping for may!
DVC member SSR, Annual Passholder

Disney pin trading nut!

Hubby and I are Disney fanatics! Visit "the world" 3 times a year. <3

:ccat: :jack: :figment:

Calypso
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Calypso » Feb Fri 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Hmmmm... maybe the randomness excludes Disney fanatics? I don't know... haven't been to DL since it started, but have been to WDW several times. Nada.