What is your favorite Disneyland ride that no longer exists

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 10, 2010 11:36 am

I never got to go on the Peoplemover in Disneyland because it was the defunct rocket rods by the time I got to visit but I sure enjoy it in WDW, so I will vote for the Peoplemover!

nottinghampan
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by nottinghampan » Jan Tue 26, 2010 2:34 am

The Country Bear Jamboree was always a good time. I really miss the submarine ride, before it was Nemo-d out.

proudcanuck
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Re: What is your favorite Disneyland ride that no longer exi

Post by proudcanuck » Apr Mon 04, 2011 1:16 pm

I miss the Skyway. It was a great way to see the park.

ekim101
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by ekim101 » Apr Fri 06, 2012 10:07 pm

America sings and country bear. Loved the sing along shows. Also miss the keel boats

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sat 07, 2012 7:39 am

Are the canoes still at DL?

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Apr Sat 14, 2012 3:39 pm

They were still there a few years ago, when we were last there.

I miss the Skyway, but I'm glad to see they're bringing back the Flying Saucers. :ccat:

mzarowny
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by mzarowny » Apr Sat 14, 2012 7:17 pm

I never got a chance to experience this one when it was around, but I reaaaally wish I could've taken a ride on the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland. Such an awesome part of DL history!!

I do, however, miss Tom Sawyer Island. The pirate theme is cool, but just doesn't float my boat. I much prefer to pretend that I'm Becky Thatcher.

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » Apr Sat 21, 2012 9:27 pm

peoplemover!

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Jun Mon 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Ok, I'm gonna cheat and pick 3 - original COP, Peoplemover, and Mine Train; all were nice, longer rides, really got your tickets' worth, Yeah, I know, going back a ways to ticket days, but those were fun, too.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 25, 2012 10:09 pm

DisneySpin wrote:Ok, I'm gonna cheat and pick 3 - original COP, Peoplemover, and Mine Train; all were nice, longer rides, really got your tickets' worth, Yeah, I know, going back a ways to ticket days, but those were fun, too.
Did you get to ride the Mine Train?? How was it? The audio for that attraction always makes me smile :D

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Jun Tue 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Amy wrote:
DisneySpin wrote:Ok, I'm gonna cheat and pick 3 - original COP, Peoplemover, and Mine Train; all were nice, longer rides, really got your tickets' worth, Yeah, I know, going back a ways to ticket days, but those were fun, too.
Did you get to ride the Mine Train?? How was it? The audio for that attraction always makes me smile :D
Oh yes, that was always a Must-Do attraction. The best part was the caverns, all black lighted and fluorescent colors, then the music and narration were perfect, too. And the animals, while being a bit repititious in the movements, were still realistic looking, many of them looking just like the ones in Disney's Living Desert film. I think the nicest memory though is that it really fit the Frontierland theme; Frontierland seems so small now, kind of vanishing, and the Mine Train area was taken over by Big Thunder, a fine ride but not as atmospheric.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 27, 2012 9:39 am

DisneySpin wrote:
Amy wrote:
Oh yes, that was always a Must-Do attraction. The best part was the caverns, all black lighted and fluorescent colors, then the music and narration were perfect, too. And the animals, while being a bit repititious in the movements, were still realistic looking, many of them looking just like the ones in Disney's Living Desert film. I think the nicest memory though is that it really fit the Frontierland theme; Frontierland seems so small now, kind of vanishing, and the Mine Train area was taken over by Big Thunder, a fine ride but not as atmospheric.
Fun! I don't believe I have ever run into someone that had been able to experience the older DL attractions. Did you also see the Monsanto House of the Future? That looked interesting.

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Jun Fri 29, 2012 3:00 am

Amy wrote: Fun! I don't believe I have ever run into someone that had been able to experience the older DL attractions. Did you also see the Monsanto House of the Future? That looked interesting.
Well, really dating myself here :roll: but, meh, who cares. Yes, I was able to go in the Monsanto house a number of times when it was open, and then remember a long period when the house remained but was no longer in use. But they would still have it lit at night, so that was good. Anyway, as a little girl, the house seemed awesome; so many automated things! Forget a Barbie Dream House! My friends and I wanted to grow up and live in that House of the Future. Of course later, we all wanted that "groovy" final home in CoP.
One part I remember in the Monsanto house was the bathroom sink could rise up or down to accommodate the height of any user. The kitchen had all sorts of fun ideas, very Jetsons-like, such as push button dining and dishwasher racks that would raise up so you could fill them easier. But, the attraction itself, other than some neat ideas, was a very simple walk-through. Each room was roped off and you were only an observer. So, I can understand why it slowly faded in popularity. Some technology caught up with it pretty quickly and when it wasn't as futuristic, well...just a house at Disneyland that you ran by to get to the Matterhorn.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 29, 2012 6:57 am

DisneySpin wrote:
Amy wrote: Fun! I don't believe I have ever run into someone that had been able to experience the older DL attractions. Did you also see the Monsanto House of the Future? That looked interesting.
Well, really dating myself here :roll: but, meh, who cares. Yes, I was able to go in the Monsanto house a number of times when it was open, and then remember a long period when the house remained but was no longer in use. But they would still have it lit at night, so that was good. Anyway, as a little girl, the house seemed awesome; so many automated things! Forget a Barbie Dream House! My friends and I wanted to grow up and live in that House of the Future. Of course later, we all wanted that "groovy" final home in CoP.
One part I remember in the Monsanto house was the bathroom sink could rise up or down to accommodate the height of any user. The kitchen had all sorts of fun ideas, very Jetsons-like, such as push button dining and dishwasher racks that would raise up so you could fill them easier. But, the attraction itself, other than some neat ideas, was a very simple walk-through. Each room was roped off and you were only an observer. So, I can understand why it slowly faded in popularity. Some technology caught up with it pretty quickly and when it wasn't as futuristic, well...just a house at Disneyland that you ran by to get to the Matterhorn.
I thought it was pretty Jetsons-like when I watched a video of the Monsanto House on youtube. I can understand the whole walk-through idea being sort of boring...especially when the Matterhorn was close by! Did they have Disney hosts or hostesses in the house showing things off? Or was it completely unattended inside and the house just went through it's paces?
Groovy ~ that's a word that you don't hear much, but I like it ;) :lol:

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Jun Fri 29, 2012 11:08 am

Amy wrote: I thought it was pretty Jetsons-like when I watched a video of the Monsanto House on youtube. I can understand the whole walk-through idea being sort of boring...especially when the Matterhorn was close by! Did they have Disney hosts or hostesses in the house showing things off? Or was it completely unattended inside and the house just went through it's paces?
Groovy ~ that's a word that you don't hear much, but I like it ;) :lol:
I think the early years, there were some Monsanto people on site, demonstrating some of the automated featues; later, I don't recall anyone inside, just some random CMs to keep people moving through and behind the darn rope barriers.
Yeah, groovy, I liked throwing that in, maybe another comment, I'll find a way to work Boss in, except that's back again, used differently, so not the same 8-)
Last edited by DisneySpin on Aug Sat 11, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.