Space Mountain

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Mon 04, 2005 5:04 pm

DISNEYman wrote:I'm sure many on the board have heard, but Space Mountain is now opening on July 15th, 2005.

Anyways, the purpose of this post is to show a pictures of the new Space Mountain sign. The photos are courtesy of a person named "Darkbeer."

Space Mountain Sign - Day

Space Mountain Sign - Night
Thanks for sharing that! I don't know if I like the Space Mountain sign at night. It looks a bit tacky with all the stars. Oh well, it's what's inside that counts :D
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

DISNEYman
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DISNEYman » Apr Mon 04, 2005 5:24 pm

^I wasn't sure how I felt about the sign, until I saw it in person last week. The pictures just don't do it justice. The sign is a lot larger than you think, and that star effect looks great at night. Tommorowland looks great now with the new paint scheme and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters.
G2-4T wrote:I hadn't heard it was even going to reopen till late '05 at best. That is amazing, makes you wonder what happened to speed up the work
From what I have read on many Disney websites (Mouseplanet.com, LaughingPlace.com, and MiceAge.com), Matt Ouimet was able to increase spending to get the ride open for summer, which I assume will be very crowded.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Mon 04, 2005 6:40 pm

DISNEYman wrote:^I wasn't sure how I felt about the sign, until I saw it in person last week. The pictures just don't do it justice. The sign is a lot larger than you think, and that star effect looks great at night. Tommorowland looks great now with the new paint scheme and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters.
I'll keep that in mind when I take a trip to Disneyland next month. Oh the crowds! :roll:

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Apr Mon 04, 2005 7:53 pm

I'm just glad it is opening for the summer season, what a draw! With that closed it just isn't the same...
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Tue 05, 2005 10:25 am

Do the stars in the sign flicker?
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

DISNEYman
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DISNEYman » Apr Tue 05, 2005 5:40 pm

^It's a very subtle and slow flicker, reminds me of the Star Tours sign.

The Space Mountain text glows and flickers as well. Kind of a tough explanation, but the sign still looks great!

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Tue 05, 2005 11:03 pm

G2-4T wrote:I'm just glad it is opening for the summer season, what a draw! With that closed it just isn't the same...
I hear you on that! I can't wait to finally go on it after waiting for what seems like forever.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Denile Princess

Post by Denile Princess » Apr Wed 06, 2005 1:15 pm

Right now they're looking at Launch day as July 15th, but the sneak previews and cast previews a couple of weeks before.

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Nice!

Post by sockfire » Apr Thu 07, 2005 2:09 am

I really like the new sign. It has that futuristic feel to it that I really like.

Now if they could just move the Rocket Jets back and get the Peoplemover, Skyway and Subs working we'd have an A+ Tomorrowland again. 8)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Thu 07, 2005 11:25 am

HEAR HEAR!

HARUMPH!

Howard Johnson is RIGHT!

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Re: Nice!

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Thu 07, 2005 2:33 pm

sockfire wrote:
Now if they could just move the Rocket Jets back and get the Peoplemover, Skyway and Subs working we'd have an A+ Tomorrowland again. 8)
That sounds great, too bad that aint ever gonna happen. I miss those rides all the same though. Yay classic rides!

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Fri 08, 2005 10:35 am

Make the Peoplemove track into an Incredibles Ride. Air conditioned pods with touch screen displays where guests can choose a different fact about each attraction. What you get?

1) A futuristic attraction in Tomorrowland (Hey, futuristic in Tomorrowland? Now that would be sometime)

2) More motion seen in Tomorrowland. Without the Peoplemover nor Rocket Rods moving around I'll never get a feel of "The world on the move"

3) With interactive screens and multiple choices when entering attractions you get a repeatibility factor. Which is important. They did that right with Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. I find myself wanting to beat my own scores.

Gizmata
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Gizmata » Apr Fri 08, 2005 4:17 pm

subsonic wrote:Make the Peoplemove track into an Incredibles Ride. Air conditioned pods with touch screen displays where guests can choose a different fact about each attraction. What you get?

1) A futuristic attraction in Tomorrowland (Hey, futuristic in Tomorrowland? Now that would be sometime)

2) More motion seen in Tomorrowland. Without the Peoplemover nor Rocket Rods moving around I'll never get a feel of "The world on the move"

3) With interactive screens and multiple choices when entering attractions you get a repeatibility factor. Which is important. They did that right with Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. I find myself wanting to beat my own scores.
Thats pretty ambitious. First off each car(s) would have to have its own air-conditioner which would break down on its own schedule. Anything interactive where there is not a camera watching will be destroyed as soon as kids think no one is watching. If it were only nice people going on the ride you could have really cool things, but thats not the case. :(

Touch screen displays just would not survive long enough to justify the cost and maintainance. Just think all the "things" kids would smear on the glass, etch into it, and just break it. Even if nothing special was smeared on it, the oils from people hands would make the screen difficult to read in the sunlight in no time anyways. Too many negatives :(

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Fri 08, 2005 6:48 pm

They have touchscreens kiosks after Buzz Lightyear at DLR. We'll see how those last.

Also.. cool pics
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpos ... ostcount=1

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Fri 08, 2005 7:14 pm

Speaking of Space Mountain, and Tomorrowland in general, I absolutely love the new murals. Flying Space Mountains? What a concept! (take that comment as you may)

Oh, and "Welcome Home."