Tower of Terror decision

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Aug Mon 13, 2007 7:27 pm

It's one of the best at WDW and I imagine at DL! Good luck - don't miss it! 8)
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

coasterphil
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by coasterphil » Aug Mon 13, 2007 9:56 pm

My mom is extremely afraid of the dropping sensation you get on any ride that has some height to it, but even she was able to give ToT a chance at both WDW and DCA. She didn't go on either version a second time, but was glad that she overcame her fears and rode it.

I would say go for it, if worse comes to worse you have 30-45 seconds of sheer terror leading up to the drop sequence through the end of the ride. I'd say it's worth it as you know you'll kick yourself for not riding at some point.

skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by skipper » Aug Thu 16, 2007 12:30 pm

I can get motion sickness very easily and I have done the TOT and loved it. I SCREEEEAAAAMMMMEEEDD like a mad woman but I never felt sick. It is over so fast and you will want to ride it again. Go for it!

blinkereye123

Post by blinkereye123 » Aug Wed 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi folks. I gotta tell ya, as a lifelong chicken when it comes to thrill rides and coasters I'm always pleasantly suprised when a ride turns out not to be as scary as I first thought. The prime example of this is ToT; I don't know if it was the theming of the ride, the effects, or just the fact that it was "disneyfied" version of a thrill ride but I actually enjoyed myself alot more than I expected. One word of caution; if you wear glasses like I do then find someway to secure them if you want to see everything clearly, otherwise you'll have one more thing to worry about. Until next time, peace.

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Sep Sun 02, 2007 12:17 pm

Well I just returned from our trip to disneyland and I chickened out yet again. However I promised my daughter that when she is ready to give it a try for the first time that I will try it for the first time with her. I started walking through the queue and just couldn't go through with it.

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Sep Tue 04, 2007 12:12 pm

disneylandmom wrote:Well I just returned from our trip to disneyland and I chickened out yet again. However I promised my daughter that when she is ready to give it a try for the first time that I will try it for the first time with her. I started walking through the queue and just couldn't go through with it.
at least you tried to go for it again. I think it would be kind of scary by yourself, or without your daughter at least. It's always good to have moral support from the family! :mickey:

DisneyChris
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by DisneyChris » Sep Sat 15, 2007 5:07 pm

I can handle moderate thrill rides, but anything that envolves falling sraight down frightens me very much. I went on the tower at WDW when it was less than a year old, after my friends prodded me. It was only ONE drop back then, and I was horrified. Next time I went, they had added more drops to it. I vowed never to ride it again. It makes me sad though, because I loved the scenary and effects. I wish there was a way to see it without falling down an elevator shaft.

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Sep Sat 15, 2007 5:27 pm

I agree that the whole falling down an elevator shaft is quite scary. I sure hope that I can overcome my fear of it on my next trip though, just so I can have the experience and say that I did it.

bryceran
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by bryceran » Sep Fri 21, 2007 2:23 am

This whole experience is very interesting. I hope that you can overcome your fear. My wife and I love this ride the most. We have a great time. It's a bit scary, but wow it is a great view without having the feeling of the Maliboomer.

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Sep Fri 21, 2007 12:03 pm

The worst for me (and I know this is a favorite for thrill seekers) is the unknown. You don't know when or how many times you're going to drop. I mean, you know when it will start, but after that it's all unknow. I adore the theming though, so may just have to go on it again in January.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

SimplyMagical
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by SimplyMagical » Apr Sat 05, 2008 2:04 pm

If you do skip out on the ride, I'd highly recommend the exit store. The theming is fantastic. And speaking from a WDW standpoint, skipping the ride and actually taking the time to soak in the atmosphere has led to some of my most enjoyable times at MGM.
I remember being about 9 or 10, and still having making my parents do the baby switch on ToT, I spent a lot of time in the gift shop and the basement where you see the pictures afterwards. I was absolutely terrified of the ride, but I finally got up the courage to go. It is now my favorite ride at DLR.
I say, give it a try! The drops are so smooth! Each time you fall, it feels like you're landing in a huge marshmallow. And if you do decide to ride, go at twilight! The view is sooo amazing: you can see all of DL and as soon as they turn the lights on, its the most beautiful sight in the entire resort. You wont even be thinking of the drop.
Good luck! :figment:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3943/userbar609791gh9.gif[/img][/url]

bryceran
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by bryceran » Apr Sat 05, 2008 2:46 pm

I love the marshmallow description. It's so true.

skull

Post by skull » Apr Sat 05, 2008 9:42 pm

My wife is terrified of heights.. I had to drag on ToT. When we got off, she wanted to go on it again right away! :)

She says that you don't really have enough time to look out to tell how high up you really are, so it didn't bother her
[img]http://www.adamandshannan.info/skull/skullsm.jpg[/img]

bigthunderlover
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by bigthunderlover » Apr Wed 09, 2008 1:39 am

I agree that the whole falling down an elevator shaft is quite scary. I sure hope that I can overcome my fear of it on my next trip though, just so I can have the experience and say that I did it.
The Longer you wait the more psyched out you will become. Take some advice from a former drop ride-aphobia girl. Don't think, just do. My friend forced me on to that ride three times in a row and now I love it. I was deathly afraid of drop rides due a prior incident that had happened when I was very little. You just have to stare fear in the face and conquer it. That's what I did. Hundereds of people ride that ride everyday. They all make it out alive. You know the feeling you get when go over a small hill kinda fast in your car? Thats what it feels like to drop in the TOT. You lose your breath for a few seconds, but its a total adrenaline rush!! You will be addicted after the first ride. And if you can conquer the tower, Maliboomer is a breeze. Maliboomer shoots you up nice and smooth you get zero g's for like 3 seconds and then you fall smoothly down and up until you come all the way down. The first blast is the biggest and after that it's like nothin.
However I promised my daughter that when she is ready to give it a try for the first time that I will try it for the first time with her.
Be an example for your daughter. Show her that fear doesn't have you, you can do anything when you set your mind to it. Be her inspiration. I know I look to my mom as an example in my life. I'm sure she does the same. At least try it once, if you end up hating it you never have to do it again. But at least you can say you looked your fear in the eyes and did what you thought you could never do. Who knows, if all goes well maybe someday you will skydive. Haha! I'm just kidding.

Just remember... Don't think, just do.
I do stuff sometimes.

RREng77
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by RREng77 » Apr Wed 09, 2008 7:29 pm

disneylandmom wrote:I agree that the whole falling down an elevator shaft is quite scary. I sure hope that I can overcome my fear of it on my next trip though, just so I can have the experience and say that I did it.
Falling in an elevator shaft is my DW's biggest fear. I convinced her to ride with me anyway (once). She's proud to say that she survived ToT, but "survived" is a very good word in that case. :wink:

I strongly recommend the ride for nearly all the reasons previously mentioned.
To do the improbable, we first have to dream the impossible.

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7058/userbar646708dw8.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3340/userbar646714dx9.gif[/img][/url]