Tower of Terror decision

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Tower of Terror decision

Post by disneylandmom » Aug Wed 01, 2007 5:19 pm

I would like some input from outside parties on weather or not I should attempt the Tower of Terror. My family is trying very hard to convince me to go on it (I'm not sure if they just like to hear me scream).....however.....I am not so sure I will like it. I get sick going on the sun wheel. Califronia Screaming makes my knees shake but I like it. I like space mountain and splash as well. The idea of falling though gives me pause for the tower.
Any help in making my decision would be appreciated.

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Wed 01, 2007 6:32 pm

I think that in my experience, and that of my family, that the Sun Wheel is actually one of the scariest rides at the park, once you're up there. I think that the Tower of Terror is more akin to Splash mountain than anything else. It's got a pretty good storyline to it that takes your mind off of everything, and it's much more of a ride than just a free fall. I've been on it about 10 times, and I've never seen anyone getting off that regretted it, even the ones that were very very uneasy about attmepting it. It's a good ride, and also a great experience. At least you can tell everyone that you tried it once and didn't like it :).

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Aug Wed 01, 2007 7:13 pm

Do ToT! The ride is less than a minute long. It's more of a bouncy feel, and you don't drop straight down for long. Sooner than you know it, you're going up again. Even sooner, the ride will be over. Maybe try the Maliboomer first?

And I agree, the Sun Wheel is more scarier. You're rocking back and forth high up in the air.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Thu 02, 2007 7:18 am

I get terribly sea sick (wouldn't even attempt the Sun Wheel or CA Screamin') and have had almost no problems on the Tower of Terror. I've chickened out the past couple of times I've been to the parks because of the scare factor, but I think I'll be back on it the next time I get to the parks.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Thu 02, 2007 9:23 am

Esmeralda wrote:I get terribly sea sick (wouldn't even attempt the Sun Wheel or CA Screamin')
to counter the effects of seasickness or motion sickness, take dramamine, or if there's none available, try eating ginger candies. little tip I picked up doing mediical customer service...

ok, back on topic, I personally get fairly scared of heights, and sudden drops. if anything, I would walk through the queue to get pictures and such. but that's it. I would leave before the ride.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Aug Thu 02, 2007 10:10 am

My father-in-law hates heights and falling. On our January trip to WDW we went on ToT. He was very anxious about the drop but still went on the attraction. He enjoyed it very much and said the drop wasn't nearly as bad as he thought it would be. He also stated that because the drop is inside, his sense of height wasn't as noticeable. We ended up going on ToT again later in the day.

Really, just go on it. It's an experienced that shouldn't be missed. If your sickness has been known to linger for a while afterwards then I suggest making it your last attraction.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Thu 02, 2007 10:22 am

js3901 wrote:
Esmeralda wrote:I get terribly sea sick (wouldn't even attempt the Sun Wheel or CA Screamin')
to counter the effects of seasickness or motion sickness, take dramamine, or if there's none available, try eating ginger candies. little tip I picked up doing mediical customer service...
Dramamine knocks me out (even the "less drowsy" kind), but I have yet to attempt the ginger candies. For now I'll just take pictures from the ground!

sub is right about riding last thing if you're prone to getting sick. That way you won't suffer the whole day and you'll still get a chance to enjoy the ride. This one really is worth it for all the details and special effects. Be sure to look for the Mickey Mouse held by the little girl in the elevator!

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Aug Thu 02, 2007 11:14 am

Maybe try the Maliboomer first?
Oh that thing scares me to watch. My husband and two sons went on it and I was shaking just watching them. When it took of my then 11 year old's head just dropped it looked so forceful. They thought it was fine however none of them went on it the next trip. But they love TOT and will go on it multiple times. The last trip I thought maybe I would try TOT and then when we got there and I stood in front of it I chickend out.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Aug Thu 02, 2007 12:08 pm

Agreed. Maliboomer can look much more intimidating than ToT. It's out in the open, it looks high. I myself don't like heights and like sudden drops even less.

I was terrified my first time on ToT. And somehow I was positioned to sit in the very front and middle of the row. I survived and now it's one of my favorite attractions.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Magique
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Magique » Aug Thu 02, 2007 1:58 pm

Really, you should go on Tower of Terror before Maliboomer. Maliboomer would seem scarier since you see everything around you. Tower of Terror is more enclosed. The two rides are very similar except that Tower of Terror has a story and starts higher than Maliboomer. Both have multiple drops, which is probably easier for people with a fear of heights than one drop only since the drops are shorter.

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Fri 03, 2007 8:01 am

Mentally I'd say you're better off in the back row of ToT. Not that it's actually different, but it's comforting to see people in front of you.

If you do skip out on the ride, I'd highly recommend the exit store. The theming is fantastic. And speaking from a WDW standpoint, skipping the ride and actually taking the time to soak in the atmosphere has led to some of my most enjoyable times at MGM.

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Aug Fri 03, 2007 10:23 am

I never really like the ToT style of ride, but my friends did. I'm extremely afraid of heights. But I went just not to be left out. Just by closing my eyes so I couldn't see the landscape made it ok for me to ride, and the more I rode it I could eventually open my eyes and let go of the handrails, and now I don't fear heights as much as I used to.

Slimmer Kimmers
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Slimmer Kimmers » Aug Mon 06, 2007 3:36 pm

danimal3114u wrote:I think that in my experience, and that of my family, that the Sun Wheel is actually one of the scariest rides at the park, once you're up there.
I totally agree with you. The first time my husband and I ever rode the Sun Wheel we didn't really know what to expect. We were terrified (in a good way) being up so high and having the little gondola swing around back and forth! It's even scarier since you don't feel like you're secure in your seat like other rides.

As for the ToT, I am one that isn't too crazy about heights and especially free falls. But after riding the ToT and the Maliboomer, I'd say you're better off with the ToT. Maliboomer (in my opinion) was MUCH scarier than ToT. The special effects on ToT are pretty cool, too. I only rode it once though and it was during the day. Does anyone feel like it's more fun at night? Maybe next time I'll try it at night. :D

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Aug Mon 13, 2007 5:54 pm

Thanks for all of your input. I think I will take the advice to at least walk through the queue. I didn't realize you could walk through and see it without going on the ride. As for actually riding the ride I think it will come down to me standing infront of that massive building and making my choice right then and there. I will be sure and let you guys know if I go on it or chicken out yet again.

danimal3114u

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Mon 13, 2007 6:16 pm

disneylandmom wrote:Thanks for all of your input. I think I will take the advice to at least walk through the queue. I didn't realize you could walk through and see it without going on the ride. As for actually riding the ride I think it will come down to me standing infront of that massive building and making my choice right then and there. I will be sure and let you guys know if I go on it or chicken out yet again.
Can't wait to hear how it goes, have fun and good luck!