Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Dec Tue 21, 2004 6:00 pm

this past trip(last weekend) was the first time ive ever experienced Great Moments....those headphones are incredible, makes you feel everything in that show. its a shame that not too many people go see this really neat attraction.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

rellwood
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by rellwood » Dec Tue 21, 2004 6:13 pm

I agree--it's an often forgotten attraction but I think it's really good too. I try to get in there on every visit.

Incidentally, last time I went on it I made this discovery that the headphones get their signal from some kind of infrared single from the celiing. If you put your hand over the top of your head while on the attraction, the sound goes dead! That's a totally useless bit if trivia.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Dec Tue 21, 2004 7:06 pm

hey, thats interesting. the sound was so good that when they cut your hair, and whisper in your ear, i actually got a ticklish...very strange :roll:

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Dec Tue 21, 2004 7:08 pm

I agree - it is well done and so many just pass it by. Duno how the headphones add the sense of feel but they do. And nice bit of trivia there - you called it useless, not me! :wink:

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Wed 22, 2004 7:02 pm

It's because the signal to the headphones is Infrared.

And the reason headphones can reproduce these sensations is that having speakers next to your ears is the best way to reproduce the sounds you hear from them. They use an encoding and decoding process which puts the sounds in the correct phase as your eardrums would hear them. Kinda hard to explain.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

G2-4T

Post by G2-4T » Dec Wed 22, 2004 7:57 pm

subsonic wrote: Kinda hard to explain.
Sounds like it [no pun intended]. Though the phase stuff does sort of make sense now that I think about it...

Post by Guest » Dec Fri 24, 2004 2:03 pm

One thing that Disney does very very well is sound and audio immersion.

Halvogirl
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by Halvogirl » Jan Thu 13, 2005 2:19 pm

Last trip down was my first experience also. I really liked it, gave me the chills. I almost screamed though when they where doing the haircut 'cause my friend carefully reached behind and tugged my hair.
Yes, this is my happy place! Well, when not in my happy place.

It's official, The family is visiting Disneyland in October!

http://www.halvomassage.com
http://www.facebook.com/halvomassage

PinkTink

Post by PinkTink » Jan Thu 13, 2005 6:48 pm

Yeah..I hate when you hear the bug flying by your head..its so weird :)

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jan Thu 13, 2005 7:31 pm

It's just like the Sounds Dangerous starring Drew Carey show at Disney/MGM Studios at WDW. you hear insects flying around, knives being thrown at your head, people talking all around you, etc. All in the dark. It's really cool. If you haven't gone to this show, I highly recommend it. :D

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jan Fri 14, 2005 2:16 am

js3901 wrote:It's just like the Sounds Dangerous starring Drew Carey show at Disney/MGM Studios at WDW. you hear insects flying around, knives being thrown at your head, people talking all around you, etc. All in the dark. It's really cool. If you haven't gone to this show, I highly recommend it. :D
hmm i dont think i can handle that. i might be squirming in my seat and laughing the whole time. :roll:

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

js3901

Post by js3901 » Jan Fri 14, 2005 2:54 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:
js3901 wrote:It's just like the Sounds Dangerous starring Drew Carey show at Disney/MGM Studios at WDW. you hear insects flying around, knives being thrown at your head, people talking all around you, etc. All in the dark. It's really cool. If you haven't gone to this show, I highly recommend it. :D
hmm i dont think i can handle that. i might be squirming in my seat and laughing the whole time. :roll:
It's awesome tough. THE best in 3D audio. Also, when you come out of the show, there's a cool audio effects lab. It takes the place of the usual gift shop at the end. you get to play around with movie clip sounds.

QuickGold
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by QuickGold » Jan Fri 14, 2005 1:22 pm

If you want some more info on Sounds Dangerous, try http://www.mgmstudios.org/sounds.html
Matt

[b][url=http://www.studioscentral.com]Studios Central[/url]
[url=http://www.wdwtoday.com]WDW Today Podcast[/url]
[url=http://www.towerofterror.org/tower.html]TowerOfTerror.Org[/url][/b]

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jan Fri 14, 2005 2:00 pm

QuickGold wrote:
If you want some more info on Sounds Dangerous, try http://www.mgmstudios.org/sounds.html
haha, thanks. if i did go to WDW, my friends would drag me on this anyways.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

zenmondo

Re: Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Post by zenmondo » Jan Mon 17, 2005 6:51 pm

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:this past trip(last weekend) was the first time ive ever experienced Great Moments....those headphones are incredible, makes you feel everything in that show. its a shame that not too many people go see this really neat attraction.
When did they add headphones? The Show I remember basicaly had the robo-Lincoln stand up and give a speech. Even when it is just that, I would never miss it.

I rarely get to go to the park, so if I don't do everything twice, I feel like I missed out. (its been 13 years since my last visit)