DCA Gets A Worthy Overhaul Budget

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: DCA Gets A Worthy Overhaul Budget

Post by elizabethswann » May Thu 17, 2012 1:36 am

I really do wish they would do something about the track. I know many of us would wish the Peoplemover would return but that won't happen. It's really sad just walking through Tomorrowland or seeing the bare track while up in the monorail.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Thu 17, 2012 7:07 am

elizabethswann wrote:I really do wish they would do something about the track. I know many of us would wish the Peoplemover would return but that won't happen. It's really sad just walking through Tomorrowland or seeing the bare track while up in the monorail.
It does seem like they should re-make it into something or take the track down. Was the track changed significantly when the Rocket Rods were built? Is that why the Peoplemover can't return?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Thu 17, 2012 12:28 pm

It's the same reason with everything at the parks, unless a replacement is ready to start construction, they do not touch the old ride since demolition would be an expense without future benefit.

It was totally replaced for RR, there is now stuff in the tunnels for other attractions, OSHA would probably make it impossible to exist, and it had a major design flaw (both RR and PM) since rain made it dangerously slick.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » May Thu 17, 2012 6:17 pm

elizabethswann wrote:I really do wish they would do something about the track. I know many of us would wish the Peoplemover would return but that won't happen. It's really sad just walking through Tomorrowland or seeing the bare track while up in the monorail.
That's how I used to feel seeing the Skyway building used as character meet and greets in Fantasyland - a sad reminder of a favourite ride now gone. :(

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Thu 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It's the same reason with everything at the parks, unless a replacement is ready to start construction, they do not touch the old ride since demolition would be an expense without future benefit.

It was totally replaced for RR, there is now stuff in the tunnels for other attractions, OSHA would probably make it impossible to exist, and it had a major design flaw (both RR and PM) since rain made it dangerously slick.
But they could cover the track like they did in WDW? I suppose it doesn't rain enough in S. Cali to justify that expense though...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Thu 17, 2012 8:16 pm

It rains, but there is also the issue of the inclines (there's a reason dark rides and those things did not use them after the DLR version) and the lack of interest is why they can't justify the expense.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » May Thu 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It's the same reason with everything at the parks, unless a replacement is ready to start construction, they do not touch the old ride since demolition would be an expense without future benefit.

I think if it rains then they should close the ride if it makes it dangerously slick, much like how Knotts closes down Xcelerator if it even mists/lightly rains. Though it'd be a little difficult to see how they'll work out a queue since they had used the Buzz Lightyear building for Rocket Rods' queue. There's not enough room around the area for a line and an elevator much like the Astro Orbiter at WDW. If they get rid of the seating area and hat store in that area then maybe but they'd have to board up a significant part of Tomorrowland to even work on it and that area gets congested just as bad as Adventureland.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Thu 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Oh, it's not a problem to close a ride, but the problem was that there were people on the ride when it would rain and they would need to be evacuated on the slick track...

I'm guessing you either hadn't been on the DLR one or do not recall, but as it was a low interest ride, it also was just like the WDW one where it's a moving ramp up to the loading area. Where the planters are, under the track and behind the DVC stand, are about where it was. The retail space has always been there in one form or another though.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » May Fri 18, 2012 1:33 am

I was too young to remember the Peoplemover but I do remember the Rocket Rods.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » May Mon 21, 2012 1:02 pm

http://micechat.com/blogs/dateline-disn ... -more.html

Latest update from Micechat: Higher Prices at the Happiest Place, Brave, Cars Monorails, DCA previews, etc.

kronk's angel
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by kronk's angel » May Tue 22, 2012 11:20 pm

The Peoplemover was my favorite ride, in the sense that it was sooooo "Disney" to me. I never missed riding it, often twice in the day's visit. I think I liked it because it was the most truly futuristic thing in Tomorrowland.

My understanding is that they gutted Tomorrowland to get rid of the nightly congregation of teens (annual passholders) hanging out each night in that (later decimated) central gathering area. It was really quite perfect. And when is too many customers a serious problem?

I think that was Roy Disney's specific beef with Eisner & company??
No, no... He's got a point.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 22, 2012 11:36 pm

It would be nice if they released data, but they won't, my guess is that the problem with the AP holders is that they aren't true customers. They sink their fee at the start of the year (or now spread it out at 0% interest) and then come to the park and then leave, possibly spending zero dollars. It also throws off how many people they let in since AP holders are the last group to be turned away as the park reaches capacity.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » May Mon 28, 2012 2:38 pm

http://micechat.com/blogs/dateline-disn ... -more.html

Latest update from Micechat: Carthay Theater unveiled, Mad T Party lights up, Cars Land gets ready, etc.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » May Mon 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Looks like Fillmore was right. That blinking yellow light in Radiator Springs does have a longer third blink.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Mon 28, 2012 3:36 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, I think they were shooting commercials at DLR last week for cars land, they had several child sized Lightning McQueen cars near filming equipment.